Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Aero thoughts

Old 12-07-16, 01:02 PM
  #176  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,344

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 1,571 Times in 860 Posts
I bought one of last year's Venge Experts for cheap (it was raced at Nats RR!). I don't like the Specialized Aerofly 42 cm bars that it came with, so I'm selling them. I found some hugely discounted Bontrager Carbon Aero Road bars in 40 cm that I really liked at the Trek store, so I'm using those instead.

The plan is to use it as my race bike and do most of my training on my TCR advanced. The venge is cheap and fast - perfect for racing.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 12-07-16, 01:13 PM
  #177  
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
I bought one of last year's Venge Experts for cheap (it was raced at Nats RR!). I don't like the Specialized Aerofly 42 cm bars that it came with, so I'm selling them. I found some hugely discounted Bontrager Carbon Aero Road bars in 40 cm that I really liked at the Trek store, so I'm using those instead.

The plan is to use it as my race bike and do most of my training on my TCR advanced. The venge is cheap and fast - perfect for racing.
Ah yeah I looked at those Bontrager bars, but didn't like the smaller aero section of the tops - less aero, but they support clip-on aero bars. Good price though!
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 12-07-16, 01:33 PM
  #178  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
SL70 is a nice bar. The flare gives one the ability to run a narrower bar than they otherwise might and still be more comfortable in the drops/not hit their knees.

i prefer it to the 3T bars. It's been a few years since I've tested a 3T bar (last one was an Ergonova); the Zipp is (or at least was) stiffer.

The Specialized Aerofly is pretty nice, too.
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Yeah it doesn't make that much sense to have the "40" measurement not be at the drops..

Or maybe I'm just measuring everything wrong! But my 42cm non-aero rotundo's measure 42cm at the drops.
Well hopefully I'll like the "40cm" version, because I can't return them, and so far selling used bicycle parts has been a fail.
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 12-08-16, 12:31 AM
  #179  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06 View Post
Im still considering the Aeronova..might have to get the LBS to order the Pro since I cant find them online anywhere. Still having a hard time with the thought of spending that much on a handlebars though
it's flexy. or at least it was a few years ago.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 06:59 PM
  #180  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,420

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 247 Posts
Ignore the brakes (hard request) and look at the cable housing for the front brake.
There Cordz and links allow routing quite a bit better than braided metal cables.
They are spooky light and smoother, but to the point of this tread you can route them near the head tube. Much better than inches away.

As an aside...when junior goes back to school I'm going to attempt a route for rear inside stem and through top tube.


MakenzieKCNCFront.jpg
Doge is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 08:58 PM
  #181  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Ignore the brakes (hard request) and look at the cable housing for the front brake.
There Cordz and links allow routing quite a bit better than braided metal cables.
They are spooky light and smoother, but to the point of this tread you can route them near the head tube. Much better than inches away.

As an aside...when junior goes back to school I'm going to attempt a route for rear inside stem and through top tube.

You have any of the zero rise stems for that DA in the background?
hack is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 09:10 PM
  #182  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,420

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by hack View Post
You have any of the zero rise stems for that DA in the background?
I have lower and an adjustable - not flat, I guess the adjustable could go ugly flat.
But I'm more concerned about being aero than being low. Low is less aero.
That will most likely get a 25mm rise bar.
Doge is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 09:33 PM
  #183  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I have lower and an adjustable - not flat, I guess the adjustable could go ugly flat.
But I'm more concerned about being aero than being low. Low is less aero.
That will most likely get a 25mm rise bar.
I'm tinkering with fit and am more comfortable with the adjustable ugly flat.
hack is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 09:39 PM
  #184  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,420

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 247 Posts
I know you know this - but to clarify.
The DA2 - in background is going to UCI legal (because) mass start bike.
The IAB position will be used. Flat is too low.

Most aero position is flat torso and flat forearms (and narrow rolled shoulders yada yada).
Many low bars / zero rise put forearms pushing wind or body/torso too low.

In the planned setup these bars will be quite high compared to most coffee shop bikes. But the rider in the IAB position will be pretty slippery. And, also as you know - done this before.
Doge is offline  
Old 12-26-16, 09:44 PM
  #185  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I know you know this - but to clarify.
The DA2 - in background is going to UCI legal (because) mass start bike.
The IAB position will be used. Flat is too low.

Most aero position is flat torso and flat forearms (and narrow rolled shoulders yada yada).
Many low bars / zero rise put forearms pushing wind or body/torso too low.

In the planned setup these bars will be quite high compared to most coffee shop bikes. But the rider in the IAB position will be pretty slippery. And, also as you know - done this before.
gotcha ... mine is traditional tt setup
hack is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 08:25 AM
  #186  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,519
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 411 Posts
My wife bought me this:

Purple bike 2.jpg

I'm going aero now.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 08:44 AM
  #187  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plum crazy.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 02:29 PM
  #188  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Pimp is strong in this one. lol
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 03:20 PM
  #189  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,344

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 1,571 Times in 860 Posts
is that the new Allez sprint frame? I saw a fluo green one in person the other day - it looked really nice.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 05:24 PM
  #190  
revchuck
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@topflightpro - Santa deserves extra hugs for that! Finding proper bar tape is going to be...interesting.
revchuck is offline  
Old 12-27-16, 05:32 PM
  #191  
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cinelli zebra
Supacaz has some white and black that could be choice

hit up @queerpunk, I recall that the Zubaz sponsored team had some stuff that worked pretty well with that basic notion.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 07:50 AM
  #192  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,519
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
is that the new Allez sprint frame? I saw a fluo green one in person the other day - it looked really nice.
It is. I really liked the green one too - and it would match my kit. But the purple is pretty snazzy too. I also saw a guy on the pink one with a leopard print fork. I like the purple much better.

Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Plum crazy.
Strangely enough, this is not my first purple bike. My very first bicycle was purple. My parents bought it at a garage sale for me. If I remember correctly, it had a plastic white banana seat. At some point, I left it lying in the driveway, and my mother backed over it, which apparently bent the frame. I never seemed to notice it, but according to my mother - so there's only about a 50% chance this is true - no one else could ride it because of the way it was bent.

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Pimp is strong in this one. lol
Yes. It's going to make me so much more noticeable when I get dropped from crits.

Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
@topflightpro - Santa deserves extra hugs for that! Finding proper bar tape is going to be...interesting.
My wife was very excited to get the frame. I think she is more excited about it than I am. I've been debating tape options - I'm probably going to buy an aero handlebar, so it will likely only be half taped. I may just go plain white and let the frame speak for itself.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 10:48 AM
  #193  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@tetonrider what shape of extensions is fastest, and how to hold them? I have the speed concept ski-bend bar and I think it's fast if I put my hands near the top and get a little of the mantis position, closing the gap between arm and head, but it makes my wrists hurt a little as well.

Is there anything that says what extension shape is generally fastest? Does it even matter or is it all preference/comfort?
Ygduf is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 08:31 PM
  #194  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,420

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
@tetonrider what shape of extensions is fastest, and how to hold them? I have the speed concept ski-bend bar and I think it's fast if I put my hands near the top and get a little of the mantis position, closing the gap between arm and head, but it makes my wrists hurt a little as well.

Is there anything that says what extension shape is generally fastest? Does it even matter or is it all preference/comfort?
We paid money to the guy that also fits Amber (UCI ITT WC) and some other names he says ski poles. So we did ski poles. Not that for UCI reg fitting the extensions need to be parallel to ground, so a "real" mantis position with hands in face in not allowed.
Daniel is so broad shouldered I tend to think his flat extensions worked better as they brought his shoulders in.
I have pictures in both and he seems wider on the poles, but he is also older - and bigger, so hard to tell.
Doge is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 10:02 PM
  #195  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
We paid money to the guy that also fits Amber (UCI ITT WC) and some other names he says ski poles. So we did ski poles. Not that for UCI reg fitting the extensions need to be parallel to ground, so a "real" mantis position with hands in face in not allowed.
Daniel is so broad shouldered I tend to think his flat extensions worked better as they brought his shoulders in.
I have pictures in both and he seems wider on the poles, but he is also older - and bigger, so hard to tell.
pic?

so many types and different brands have different names for different shapes
Ygduf is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 11:59 PM
  #196  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,420

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
pic?

so many types and different brands have different names for different shapes
Pictures on office computer. I will post tomorrow, but video is better. The videos don't really support my statements. As mentioned all in UCI specs with no exemptions (he is allowed one) so a bit different than you may see on USAC TTs.
On Ski poles:

On straight bars:
In front -
Doge is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 06:26 AM
  #197  
Wylde06
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I want to get different extensions for my TT bike, I don't like the mostly flat ones that are on the bike now..but I also don't want to spend a whole lot of money so like the last 2 years I will probably just stick with whats on the bike and deal with the occasional wrist discomfort after a TT
Wylde06 is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 10:23 AM
  #198  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My TT bike (sadly, it's collecting dust) has the 3T ski bend extensions. I've also used the 3T S bend extensions and much prefer the feel of the ski bend. I feel like there is more control of the bike and there is less awkward bending of the wrists.
hack is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 10:36 AM
  #199  
Wylde06
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
ski bend extensions is what I want to get, s bend is what I have now..maybe I will search on slowtwitch or ebay for a cheap set
Wylde06 is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 11:27 AM
  #200  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06 View Post
ski bend extensions is what I want to get, s bend is what I have now..maybe I will search on slowtwitch or ebay for a cheap set
assuming you don't mind alloy extensions ... the 3Ts can be found new in the $30-40 range if you search online retailers a bit.
hack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.