Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Reply

Old 06-27-18, 04:12 PM
  #3251  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,442

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
got to watch some drama today with the world cup, I was about to feel really bad for mexico if they got eliminated after winning their first 2 games.

As for my interests, I'm glad Portugal made it through, that game ended up being pretty iffy. I'll be in Portugal on Saturday morning, so hopefully I can find a fun place to watch the game with other enthusiastic countypeople
hubcyclist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 07:59 AM
  #3252  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,009

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
One of our good engineers left a couple months ago suddenly (to me anyway, I didn't know until day of, I was on family leave and didn't even get to say goodbye). I'd only worked with him a year, and not super closely, just here and there, but I liked him.

Found out today that he died a week or so ago. He was 30. I'll be 30 in a month.

His dad had died a few days prior. I don't know the cause but I have an idea. As someone who has also struggled with depression, it's tough to hear. About 3 months after I left a previous job one of the young engineers I had worked with there committed suicide. Sucks. Life is short, too short sometimes.

Not sure how I'm going to get much done today.
Flatballer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 08:26 AM
  #3253  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
got to watch some drama today with the world cup, I was about to feel really bad for mexico if they got eliminated after winning their first 2 games.

As for my interests, I'm glad Portugal made it through, that game ended up being pretty iffy. I'll be in Portugal on Saturday morning, so hopefully I can find a fun place to watch the game with other enthusiastic countypeople
Mexico is done even if they beat Brazil (the #2 team in the world) they'll have to play Belgium (the #3 ). That side of the bracket is much harder than the other, which is England, Croatia and not much else.

@Flatballer, hang in there!
furiousferret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 08:54 PM
  #3254  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,009

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
Mexico is done even if they beat Brazil (the #2 team in the world) they'll have to play Belgium (the #3 ). That side of the bracket is much harder than the other, which is England, Croatia and not much else.

@Flatballer, hang in there!
Thanks. And yes, the brackets are very lopsided. I think they should reseed after the group stage, it would be fairer and I don't see the downside. You also avoid matches like England Belgium where the clear strategy should be to lose.
Flatballer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 12:05 PM
  #3255  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 36,865

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Signed up for Davis 4th of July Crit. Always one of my favorite races, but the smoke from the Yolo fire is so bad I may sit it out. Watching the AQI reports...
caloso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 04:20 PM
  #3256  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,188
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Signed up for Davis 4th of July Crit. Always one of my favorite races, but the smoke from the Yolo fire is so bad I may sit it out. Watching the AQI reports...
Damn, I guess that's the tradeoff for it being a "chilly" 80 degrees this year huh?
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 09:21 PM
  #3257  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,073

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
After all the trials and tribulations of this season I've decided to write off 2018 in terms of cycling. Everything now is for 2019.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. Itís a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. Thereís skills, thereís tactics Ö thereís all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 09:48 PM
  #3258  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
welcome back, CDR. Hope your basement isn't underwater anymore..
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 10:30 PM
  #3259  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 11,916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
After all the trials and tribulations of this season I've decided to write off 2018 in terms of cycling. Everything now is for 2019.
The year is only half over. Surely there must be some fun times left this year?
big john is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 10:35 PM
  #3260  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 11,916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Doc thinks I have COPD, gave me meds to try. Been having trouble during and after rides and work. My riding friends think this is hilarious and are happy to tease me about it whenever they can.
big john is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 10:38 PM
  #3261  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,073

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Thanks. I'll be back in a bit. Reconstruction starts next week so maybe a month or two before things are good, and I hope to have a current computer up in the next couple weeks.

In the last 2 months I managed to lose use of my bike room, literally every current computer, and Zwift.

On the plus side I've discovered a local brewery and a new favorite beer (and the owner is a customer and hooks me up). So I've had more beers in the last year than I have in the past whatever years.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. Itís a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. Thereís skills, thereís tactics Ö thereís all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 05:47 AM
  #3262  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
UPS lost my new speedsuit. It was last scanned at the nearest distribution center on June 29. I was planning to wear it at Masters Track Nationals next week. I guess I'll be using my basic skinsuit, which isn't much more than a jersey and bibs stitched together. I'll also have to wash it between my events, since I only own one skinsuit.
topflightpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 10:08 AM
  #3263  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Well, Iíve had an incredibly crappy morning.

The dogís stomach was a mess. He had a horrible case of diarrhea, which must have hit him in his sleep because it was all over his bed.

Then he must have had a second bout while sleeping on his chair because it was all over his chair too.

I found both both when I came downstairs this morning.

I threw his his bed and chair covers in the wash and gave him a quick bath because he was covered in it.

Then he he went to sleep on his other bed and next thing I know, heís got diarrhea coming out his but again. At that point, it was just dripping out of him, so we rushed him to the emergency vet at 7 am.

They gave him some fluids and some meds. The tests for paradites came up negative.

I gabe him a second bath while my wife went out to rent a carpet cleaner. So, now the windows are all open as we wait for the carpeting to dry before I put the furniture back.

And hopefully he recovers quickly because my wife and I are supposed to leave for masters track nationals tomorrow morning.
topflightpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 10:20 PM
  #3264  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Its starting to look like my season is over and I'll have to miss my last race. My co worker goes in for surgery 3 days prior to this race and only I can cover his on call (2 person team). He's offered to stealth cover but since race day is the same morning as patch testing its too risky. I'm still training just in case though.

Its a shame, because it was the first race in 5 years of racing other people told me to enter because they thought I could win. Maybe I'll go up to NorCal and race some; their schedule is so much better than ours now and the races are laid out much better for old trash racers like myself.
furiousferret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 09:28 AM
  #3265  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 10,542

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
WTF is a trash racer? Are most Norcal racers, trash racers?
Hermes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 10:51 AM
  #3266  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 36,865

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Hey man, that hurts.
caloso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 10:40 PM
  #3267  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 11,916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Well, Iíve had an incredibly crappy morning.

The dogís stomach was a mess. He had a horrible case of diarrhea, which must have hit him in his sleep because it was all over his bed.

Then he must have had a second bout while sleeping on his chair because it was all over his chair too.

I found both both when I came downstairs this morning.

I threw his his bed and chair covers in the wash and gave him a quick bath because he was covered in it.

Then he he went to sleep on his other bed and next thing I know, heís got diarrhea coming out his but again. At that point, it was just dripping out of him, so we rushed him to the emergency vet at 7 am.

They gave him some fluids and some meds. The tests for paradites came up negative.

I gabe him a second bath while my wife went out to rent a carpet cleaner. So, now the windows are all open as we wait for the carpeting to dry before I put the furniture back.

And hopefully he recovers quickly because my wife and I are supposed to leave for masters track nationals tomorrow morning.
I hope he's doing better. Sounds like what happened to a friends dog when he ate some rat poison. He survived but he was pretty sick for a few days.
big john is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 08:08 AM
  #3268  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,073

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Originally Posted by big john View Post
The year is only half over. Surely there must be some fun times left this year?
For me not really. I like racing bikes (and, specifically, doing field sprints). The rest of it, not so much. I deal with the other stuff (training etc) so that I can have fun racing. My fitness is so low at this point that it'll be hard to have fun racing.

I may go tonight to the Tues night race just to see what happens but the last race I (barely) finished (M50, not a super strong field) I could only avg about 145w for the race and was so exhausted by the end that I couldn't even sprint. Not really fun.

I'll need to be lighter and more fit for 2019 so I can do the Tues night A races with some kind of chance of finishing, and maybe I'll be able to do some more Sunday races (right now it seems like 1 or 2 weekend races a year is the limit).

Overall though things are good. The house reconstruction just started yesterday, we're going to be able to use that as a jumping point to do some upgrades/changes that we've talked about for a while, Junior is just incredible, work is always interesting (I'm the old man at work, which is kind of weird), the Missus is incredible as usual, so, well, basically life is good.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. Itís a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. Thereís skills, thereís tactics Ö thereís all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 08:14 AM
  #3269  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,073

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Well, Iíve had an incredibly crappy morning.
I hope he recovers quickly. Can you have him stay at the vet's if he's not better? We had to have a cat stay at the vet for a couple days here and there.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. Itís a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. Thereís skills, thereís tactics Ö thereís all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 06:40 PM
  #3270  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
The dog is much better. It lasted about 24 hours, and it was bad. At one point, I was basically sitting in the backyard nearly crying as we couldnít get the poop to stop pouring out of him. As fast as weíd clean it/him up, thereíd be more. I felt like I was covered in it.
topflightpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 08:01 PM
  #3271  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Went to a dr for the first time in almost two years yesterday. learned about this doc since he does the same group ride as me on tuesday nights. My physical was basically just sitting and chatting bike for an hour. He offered to give me a ride up to this unofficial tt next week. I'd never heard of this series, but that's the kind of service I want from a doc! His practice seems to have a big focus on exercise for health. Really hoping my insurance doesn't hit me with a huge bill for going there. They wouldn't give me a straight answer about him being in network or not.

If I'm in network I'd like to get my blood work check for deficiencies. Since I've changed my diet pretty drastically recently (No red meat, basically no poultry and a little bit of fish), I've felt awesome, but numbers don't lie. Always good to get it checked, and since he has an athletic background of sorts he seemed to already have an understanding of what I'd be looking for.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 10:42 PM
  #3272  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,853
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ttoc6 View Post
Went to a dr for the first time in almost two years yesterday. learned about this doc since he does the same group ride as me on tuesday nights. My physical was basically just sitting and chatting bike for an hour. He offered to give me a ride up to this unofficial tt next week. I'd never heard of this series, but that's the kind of service I want from a doc! His practice seems to have a big focus on exercise for health. Really hoping my insurance doesn't hit me with a huge bill for going there. They wouldn't give me a straight answer about him being in network or not.

If I'm in network I'd like to get my blood work check for deficiencies. Since I've changed my diet pretty drastically recently (No red meat, basically no poultry and a little bit of fish), I've felt awesome, but numbers don't lie. Always good to get it checked, and since he has an athletic background of sorts he seemed to already have an understanding of what I'd be looking for.
Good to get the blood checked. Had mine looked at a year ago and learned all about iron deficient anemia, low hemoglobin/hematocrit, and more.
hack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 09:49 AM
  #3273  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
UPS sent me an email that they find the skinsuit I ordered for track nationals and will deliver it tomorrow.

Im on my way home now n
topflightpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 03:01 PM
  #3274  
jsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 594

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
UPS sent me an email that they find the skinsuit I ordered for track nationals and will deliver it tomorrow.

Im on my way home now n
D'oh. Somehow I think that's even more annoying than if they found it a few months from now, it's like they're rubbing your face in it that they couldn't deliver it for when you needed it.
jsk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 04:40 PM
  #3275  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
I won some optygen supplement at the gravel race yesterday. Never been one for supplements beyond my normal daily vitamins. I'll have to do some research into this one since I got it for free.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service