Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-15-21, 01:52 PM
  #5776  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,310
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
When I get my weight down to near 'race weight' I get cold all the time. I find myself checking the thermostat to see if someone turned it down, and pulling the extra blanket over myself at night that is usually just for my wife. I'm pretty sure this isn't a difference of insulation from an extra layer of fat because I'm talking about maybe 5 lbs of weight. I'm wondering if it is my metabolism slowing down to conserve fat. Anyone else notice this when you get skinny? (And note that I don't get super bike racer single digit bodyfat stick insect skinny, just a shift of 5-8 lbs annually from off season to race weight.)
My wife asked me why I always get cold, and I told her I have a lot less fat. While that explanation was exiting my mouth, part of mind was saying 'this is a big mistake' but my mouth kept going....
furiousferret is offline  
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-15-21, 02:13 PM
  #5777  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,161

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 309 Posts
I usually don't look at emails from aliexpress but for whatever reason I opened one today and got a link to these "mavic" wheels, 30mm depth for $136

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001807865394.html?ug_edm_item_id=1005001807865394&creative_img_ind=3&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=sp aml_product_2_picture_square_1_en_US_2021-03-15&rowan_msg_id=pgpsCOWS_212_$9ac639324ca3425eb67fad11a489c3a3&ck=in_edm_other

according to the description, they "Make the safest night driving." Of course they do, it's obvious
hubcyclist is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 02:55 PM
  #5778  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 703

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
When I get my weight down to near 'race weight' I get cold all the time. I find myself checking the thermostat to see if someone turned it down, and pulling the extra blanket over myself at night that is usually just for my wife. I'm pretty sure this isn't a difference of insulation from an extra layer of fat because I'm talking about maybe 5 lbs of weight. I'm wondering if it is my metabolism slowing down to conserve fat. Anyone else notice this when you get skinny? (And note that I don't get super bike racer single digit bodyfat stick insect skinny, just a shift of 5-8 lbs annually from off season to race weight.)
low iron maybe?
wktmeow is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 03:49 PM
  #5779  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow View Post
low iron maybe?
I hadn't thought to suspect this, and it has never come up in an annual check up. Is having the chills often a symptom of low iron? I am a meat and dairy eater, and also eat a lot of greens like spinach, kale and chard that have iron, so I wouldn't think it is likely.
cmh is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 05:56 PM
  #5780  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,597

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked 1,265 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
I usually don't look at emails from aliexpress but for whatever reason I opened one today and got a link to these "mavic" wheels, 30mm depth for $136

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001807865394.html?ug_edm_item_id=1005001807865394&creative_img_ind=3&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=sp aml_product_2_picture_square_1_en_US_2021-03-15&rowan_msg_id=pgpsCOWS_212_$9ac639324ca3425eb67fad11a489c3a3&ck=in_edm_other

according to the description, they "Make the safest night driving." Of course they do, it's obvious
Oh....wow....no. Ouch. 700c V brake BMX....sure they are guys....sure they are.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 06:16 PM
  #5781  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 703

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
I hadn't thought to suspect this, and it has never come up in an annual check up. Is having the chills often a symptom of low iron? I am a meat and dairy eater, and also eat a lot of greens like spinach, kale and chard that have iron, so I wouldn't think it is likely.
I think its usually cold extremities and fatigue. It would show up in a blood panel so if you get those regularly then I'd guess you're good
wktmeow is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 07:09 PM
  #5782  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 22,514
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,328 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Yeah... I think the cx5 is going to be too small. If I'm going to get an older car that gets mileage that low... well... it better have a v6!
That said, here's what you should do to get better mpg out of it. After you buy up a few to keep as spares!
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...t/54941/page1/



I think for the very reason rob is mentioning them. They've got a following and there aren't that many of them out there. I definitely see them as high utility cars though.
I'm skeptical of the claim of mileage going into the low 30s, as are others on that page. Seems ridiculous, actually.

Also, I put "Element" into the search box on LA Craiglist and 38 of them showed up.

They're a neat idea and work for some people. A friend of mine had one, seemed underpowered and with 2 mountain bikes on the roof the wind pushed it around. She sold it and got a RAV 4.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-21, 07:20 PM
  #5783  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 22,514
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,328 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
My wife asked me why I always get cold, and I told her I have a lot less fat. While that explanation was exiting my mouth, part of mind was saying 'this is a big mistake' but my mouth kept going....
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
When I get my weight down to near 'race weight' I get cold all the time. I find myself checking the thermostat to see if someone turned it down, and pulling the extra blanket over myself at night that is usually just for my wife. I'm pretty sure this isn't a difference of insulation from an extra layer of fat because I'm talking about maybe 5 lbs of weight. I'm wondering if it is my metabolism slowing down to conserve fat. Anyone else notice this when you get skinny? (And note that I don't get super bike racer single digit bodyfat stick insect skinny, just a shift of 5-8 lbs annually from off season to race weight.)
I get cold easy when not active. I'm fine on the bike in cold weather if I am working. I can do yard work in a tee shirt once I warm up. My theory is it has to do with the body adapting to maintaining temperature when working. I sweat buckets on the bike, even in the cooler weather.
big john is offline  
Old 03-16-21, 04:59 AM
  #5784  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Hard to get into, sold out race. I wrote the promoter yesterday

>There's a chance I may not be able to attend the event. If that's the case, what's the process/mechanism for putting my spot to the wait list?

I immediately got a response

>I will provide a refund...look in your email for confirmation. Thanks

And just like I got a refund and a cancelation for a race I almost certainly was doing, and already have accommodations booked for.

Promoter is not responding to any of the couple of emails I sent clarifying me message or asking how I might be reinstated into a race with a prohibitively long wait list, and that I registered for the minute it opened.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 03-16-21, 08:27 AM
  #5785  
ridethecliche
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Hard to get into, sold out race. I wrote the promoter yesterday

>There's a chance I may not be able to attend the event. If that's the case, what's the process/mechanism for putting my spot to the wait list?

I immediately got a response

>I will provide a refund...look in your email for confirmation. Thanks

And just like I got a refund and a cancelation for a race I almost certainly was doing, and already have accommodations booked for.

Promoter is not responding to any of the couple of emails I sent clarifying me message or asking how I might be reinstated into a race with a prohibitively long wait list, and that I registered for the minute it opened.
What the actual hell?
I guess reading is passee...
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 03-16-21, 09:13 AM
  #5786  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
The promoter must work in IT.
kensuf is offline  
Old 03-16-21, 12:45 PM
  #5787  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,310
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
I got carded for buying lotto today

furiousferret is offline  
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-16-21, 02:07 PM
  #5788  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,666
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
When I get my weight down to near 'race weight' I get cold all the time. I find myself checking the thermostat to see if someone turned it down, and pulling the extra blanket over myself at night that is usually just for my wife. I'm pretty sure this isn't a difference of insulation from an extra layer of fat because I'm talking about maybe 5 lbs of weight. I'm wondering if it is my metabolism slowing down to conserve fat. Anyone else notice this when you get skinny? (And note that I don't get super bike racer single digit bodyfat stick insect skinny, just a shift of 5-8 lbs annually from off season to race weight.)
You could take your temperature, I doubt it is actually decreased.

You ever eat seafood? You could have low iodine / mild hypothyroidism but all this would be detected with routine blood work.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 03-16-21, 03:58 PM
  #5789  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,170

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
My wife has a CR-V. Yes, you can fit at least a 56 bike with the wheels on. You can also take off the front wheel and put the bike standing up with a fork mount. Given your needs and timeline, a used CR-V seems like the right answer.
Must be nice. I've never seen an SUV that can take my bike upright on a fork mount. My current 58 is sitting at max post height, and it's hopeless for SUV fit. I should really be riding a 60, but this one is comfortable. Just.

waterrockets is offline  
Likes For waterrockets:
Old 03-16-21, 10:28 PM
  #5790  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 22,514
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,328 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Must be nice. I've never seen an SUV that can take my bike upright on a fork mount. My current 58 is sitting at max post height, and it's hopeless for SUV fit. I should really be riding a 60, but this one is comfortable. Just.

I just lie the bike on it's side on a blanket in the Trailblazer. Oddly, there was more room in the old S-10 Blazer because the seat folded flat. The only bike I ever had to take the wheel off of is my newest mtb. It has a 1240mm wheelbase, or so, and 800mm handlebar.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-17-21, 08:21 AM
  #5791  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
You could take your temperature, I doubt it is actually decreased.

You ever eat seafood? You could have low iodine / mild hypothyroidism but all this would be detected with routine blood work.
I eat seafood pretty regularly and use iodized salt, so I'd be surprised if it is low iodine. But thanks for the suggestion.

To be clear, I'm talking about feeling slightly cold, as in I need to wear a sweater when I'm getting near race weight, and just 5 lbs heavier, I feel like I run hot and I'm fine in a t-shirt. It isn't feverish chills like when I have the flu. Not chilled enough to even have bothered to take my temperature. Also, there is no reduction in power output on the bike that I can tell. In fact, usually it is when I am at or near my strongest on the bike. So, I don't think it is any medical issue or an issue at all. I'm just wondering if any other racers may have noticed the same thing.
cmh is offline  
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-17-21, 09:20 AM
  #5792  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,310
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Must be nice. I've never seen an SUV that can take my bike upright on a fork mount. My current 58 is sitting at max post height, and it's hopeless for SUV fit. I should really be riding a 60, but this one is comfortable. Just.
I have a 48cm bike, fits just fine in my Jeep. Pretty sure if I was a giant over 5'9" though I'd be in the NBA and not riding bicycles. On the plus side I rarely have to duck under branches while riding.
furiousferret is offline  
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-17-21, 09:27 AM
  #5793  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
I used to fit my bike upright in my grand cherokee, and escape (front wheel off). Have laid it down in subarus. As previously discussed a sienna swallows bicycles. I put it in the back seat of the gladiator upright wheel off. It just fits across.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 03-17-21, 01:51 PM
  #5794  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Well, my 2010 Speed3 is listed (which will dox me if anyone doesn't already know my real name, but I think you do, and nobody reads this crap anyway).

Used prices are kinda hard to peg at the moment (they're going up a lot lately), especially for a car that they only made about 30k of, there just isn't a crazy amount of data to track trends, so I took a shot, and we'll see.

I spent the $5 to do CarGurus as well, because it gets good reviews, but it's not even live there yet. It can take like 2-3 days from what I'm seeing. Meanwhile I get Craigslist and Facebook hits instantly. If I sell it before it's even live there I'm gonna be a little upset. What kind of system takes days to show a car in search results? You can get there by link, but nothing in search yet.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 03-17-21, 02:11 PM
  #5795  
ridethecliche
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
I got carded for buying lotto today
I just had a birthday and my girlfriend had to remind me that I was turning 32 and not 33. I could have sworn I was turning 33.... oops.

Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
Well, my 2010 Speed3 is listed (which will dox me if anyone doesn't already know my real name, but I think you do, and nobody reads this crap anyway).

Used prices are kinda hard to peg at the moment (they're going up a lot lately), especially for a car that they only made about 30k of, there just isn't a crazy amount of data to track trends, so I took a shot, and we'll see.

I spent the $5 to do CarGurus as well, because it gets good reviews, but it's not even live there yet. It can take like 2-3 days from what I'm seeing. Meanwhile I get Craigslist and Facebook hits instantly. If I sell it before it's even live there I'm gonna be a little upset. What kind of system takes days to show a car in search results? You can get there by link, but nothing in search yet.
I need to list my miata... need to fix a few small issues first but ugh. I don't want to go through the hassle of selling that car. It's going to be a total sheeeettttshowwww!
ridethecliche is offline  
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-17-21, 02:22 PM
  #5796  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,597

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked 1,265 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I just had a birthday and my girlfriend had to remind me that I was turning 32 and not 33. I could have sworn I was turning 33.... oops.
That happens more and more as you get older. I usually have no clue how old I am. When asked I usually have to stop and do math.

What made it worse was "Racing Age". Our main discipline was cross. My birthday is in December. So my racing age for most of the year was always 1 year older than my actual age but then when cross would start I would be 2 years older than my actual age. Destroyed my ability to actually know my age for over a decade.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-17-21, 02:31 PM
  #5797  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
I've had crashes and failed the age test because I always think in terms of racing age.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-17-21, 02:35 PM
  #5798  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I never know how old I am anymore. I do the math (I still get it wrong, then my wife tells me how old I am).
Flatballer is offline  
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-17-21, 03:57 PM
  #5799  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 22,514
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,328 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
I have a 48cm bike, fits just fine in my Jeep. Pretty sure if I was a giant over 5'9" though I'd be in the NBA and not riding bicycles. On the plus side I rarely have to duck under branches while riding.
lol. In late 2019 I started riding with a different club and there is a guy who is 6'7" and he rides pretty well and can out climb me at times (nbd). There is another guy who comes out occasionally who is 6'8" but he is also 265 pounds and a much bigger frame than the other guy. They make me feel average.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-17-21, 06:11 PM
  #5800  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
What the actual hell?
I guess reading is passee...
He finally contacted me and put me back in.

I got word today that my local race up whiteface is likely to be canceled. I was like 'oh, yeah there's a pandemic.' I think I was getting swept under the delusion that my year might be back to normal sooner rather than later. I think if Whiteface gets canceled I might just pull out of the other race and just slide all the chips to mount washington in August. Do whatever is around aug/sept/oct. Would certainly take the immediate pressure off.
gsteinb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.