Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-01-21, 03:54 PM
  #5851  
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,627

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah - I hate selling things to random people. People are immensely flakey. Anymore I decide before I list something how much I am really willing to take. Any offer that comes in within the acceptable range receives the same response, "That's an acceptable offer but there are others also making acceptable offers. First one that shows up with money in hand gets it."

I don't know about care sales but for everything else it seems to filter people out.

My favorite are the ones that say, "Will you take $xx?" and then I respond with "Yes. you can pick it up any time" and that's the last you hear from them. Almost like for them it's a game to "negotiate" online about prices without ever having the intention of buying anything. From what I understand these people exist in all sort of "industries" that sell services online.....the tire kickers.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 04-01-21, 08:40 PM
  #5852  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,428
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8365 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,540 Posts
I've sold cars and bikes and had weird experiences, too. Years ago I bought and old truck which had a camper shell on it. I didn't want the shell and I decided to list it in the "free" ads and give it to somebody who wanted it. OMG the grilling I got from people about it. "What's wrong with it? Why are you giving it away? Do you have a key for it? Does the lock work? Are you sure the lock works?". Unreal. Most of them refused to even come look at it. I talked to more people about it than anything I ever sold. Finally after a few days someone came and got it.
big john is offline  
Old 04-01-21, 09:19 PM
  #5853  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,467
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
I found that when I under-priced big items (like cars) because I wanted to get rid of them quickly or gave things away free, I often had more people try to beg me or flake out than when I priced things a bit higher.
himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-01-21, 09:27 PM
  #5854  
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,313
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've sold cars and bikes and had weird experiences, too. Years ago I bought and old truck which had a camper shell on it. I didn't want the shell and I decided to list it in the "free" ads and give it to somebody who wanted it. OMG the grilling I got from people about it. "What's wrong with it? Why are you giving it away? Do you have a key for it? Does the lock work? Are you sure the lock works?". Unreal. Most of them refused to even come look at it. I talked to more people about it than anything I ever sold. Finally after a few days someone came and got it.
Last time I sold a bike on Craigslist I had to unlock my pistol and watch through the window for a few days. I was selling my Felt about 12 years ago and someone called asking for all the details of the bike. I gave them my address and they said they'd be over the next day.

20 minutes later, I get a call from another person telling me they're going to give me $100 dollars for it, they're coming over now, and I'm going to have to accept it, in a very threatening manner. I told them if they showed up I'd call the police, they hung up and never showed. I got the impression they probably did that all day to people, and resold whatever they could get.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 04-02-21, 05:55 AM
  #5855  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,200

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
My wife set me up to get a Pfizer shot on Tuesday so Iím on my way. She did it at like 4am because stuff like that keeps her up. Of course right after she did that I got notified a slot opened at Gillette stadium on sat for a moderna shot. I guess Iíll just go Tuesday.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-02-21, 06:24 AM
  #5856  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,570
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I've found FB groups to be the best place to sell things - much better than Craigslist. With CL, I'm guaranteed at least a couple offers at 50% of asking. But really, I've reached the point that unless it's a fairly valuable item, it's really not worth the hassle to try to sell.

And I always overprice things with the intention of negotiating down to what I want for it.

(Rob, this reminded me I had not replied to your email yet. Sorry.)
topflightpro is offline  
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-02-21, 07:36 AM
  #5857  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
We opened an eBay store before we moved to the adirondacks. Basically we went from two houses to one, and had a lot of stuff we could sell. Basically we do about $1500 a month in sales on things we'd have thrown out.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-02-21, 08:51 AM
  #5858  
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Second shot yesterday. I don't feel terrible, but I don't feel great. Sore arm. Neck hurts. Headache. A bit foggy.
Round two was Tuesday. I felt great until 25 hours later, then chills, aches, and fever. It cleared up by the next morning and it beat a ventilator.

The woman that injected me had worked a covid ward in Philly over the summer. She was crying while thanking me for coming in and getting vaccinated.
kensuf is offline  
Likes For kensuf:
Old 04-02-21, 09:37 AM
  #5859  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,428
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8365 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,540 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Last time I sold a bike on Craigslist I had to unlock my pistol and watch through the window for a few days. I was selling my Felt about 12 years ago and someone called asking for all the details of the bike. I gave them my address and they said they'd be over the next day.

20 minutes later, I get a call from another person telling me they're going to give me $100 dollars for it, they're coming over now, and I'm going to have to accept it, in a very threatening manner. I told them if they showed up I'd call the police, they hung up and never showed. I got the impression they probably did that all day to people, and resold whatever they could get.
That's nuts. The 2 bikes I sold last year were handled by my LBS. I gave him the bikes, later he gives me money. I never had to even meet the buyers.

The last bike I sold before that was to a friend's brother. No problems, he came to my job and saw it, gave me the cash and left with it. While it was sitting in my work area 2 coworkers asked about it. It was a 63cm CAAD5 and both of these guys were under 5'9". They both insisted they could ride it by lowering the saddle but when I told them I wanted $300 that stopped them in their tracks. I told them it was cheap because it was banged up and needed work.

They said they knew expensive bikes were around $300 new but they would not pay more than $50 for a used bike.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 04-02-21, 02:11 PM
  #5860  
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've found FB groups to be the best place to sell things - much better than Craigslist. With CL, I'm guaranteed at least a couple offers at 50% of asking. But really, I've reached the point that unless it's a fairly valuable item, it's really not worth the hassle to try to sell.

And I always overprice things with the intention of negotiating down to what I want for it.

(Rob, this reminded me I had not replied to your email yet. Sorry.)
I've gotten a lot of interest through Facebook, calls from locals since I put it by the road with a sign (or three), and a little on CarGurus (including the flake). I've gotten a single email from Craigslist, for 20% of my asking price, within about 5 minutes of listing. He must have a bot I assume. Waste of $5 listing fee.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 04-02-21, 02:27 PM
  #5861  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,200

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
For some random reason I started thinking about replacing my allezís handlebars with aero handlebars (like cheap ones lol) but like with most marginal gains I really donít know if itís worth the effort for something like 5w savings, based on what Iíve read. Stuff like this is why I need to stay off segments and stick to the trainer for hard rides!
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-02-21, 03:33 PM
  #5862  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I can't really wrap my head around 10K+ bicycles.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-02-21, 04:24 PM
  #5863  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,428
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8365 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,540 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I can't really wrap my head around 10K+ bicycles.
You're probably not ordering one of the new Enve bikes, then?
Introducing the ENVE Custom Road Bike - ENVE
big john is offline  
Old 04-02-21, 07:35 PM
  #5864  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,467
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I can't really wrap my head around 10K+ bicycles.
I entered a contest where one of the new $12000 specialized SL whatever whatevers was the prize and my thinking was, if I won it (spoiler, I didn't), I'd sell it, buy a $3k bike and put the rest into the new windows fund.
himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-02-21, 08:08 PM
  #5865  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,428
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8365 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,540 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I entered a contest where one of the new $12000 specialized SL whatever whatevers was the prize and my thinking was, if I won it (spoiler, I didn't), I'd sell it, buy a $3k bike and put the rest into the new windows fund.
We were riding and a new dual-sport motorcycle pulled next to us at a light. I told my friend I was considering a motorcycle like that (probably never do it) and he responded "aren't they expensive?" I told him they are $2K less than an S-Works Tarmac.

Still feels weird to even write that.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 04-03-21, 12:00 PM
  #5866  
BatŁwŁ Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,796
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Buyer I had lined up flaked like I kinda thought he might. I went down on price for this guy who was going to buy it with his son as a track car. Then he actually checked directions and realized it was 8.5 hrs each way vs 5 hrs each way and he was going to trailer it himself. Looked up shipping the car and it was only 200 bucks more than it would have cost him to come get it himself (without a missed work day)... He was balking and asked if we could come down to compensate for that free and I told him he should make his son pay the difference because he sucked at geography. Then he came back saying he was surprised with a divorce the last day and I was like good luck dude.

I took the listing down. Going to spend a bit of time cleaning the car up and enjoying it myself for a month or so before listing it. I might take off the front bumper, sand it down, and paint it myself or have it painted to match the rest of the car. I think that'll make things look much better. I think I have an orbital sander somewhere so I'll polish up the car with that sucker as well if I can find it. Some wax and polishing should get rid of a lot of the superficial scratches that make it look way worse than it is.

Then list back up for 12k and see what happens... I was hoping to get 9-10k and the seller that bailed had offered 8.5k. I figured I'd take it if it meant a quick sale. Literally talked to the guy on the phone about it too. Oh well.

OTOH, i found a 2012 v6 rav4 with like 85k miles for about 14k 2.5 hrs away. A little bit more than I wanted to pay, but I've been wanting that exact car since I started even thinking about wanting a compact SUV. Figure it'll be fun to own for a few years if things work out. I bet I'll get offered less than 1500 bucks for my daily lol. It's an 06 TL with rust in the wheel wells and scratches everywhere. Once the rust started I stopped caring about taking care of the appearance since that pretty much tanks any semblance of value. It's got 166k on it and the motor runs strong. It would have been awesome to swap the engine into a miata to keep it going!

Originally Posted by himespau
I entered a contest where one of the new $12000 specialized SL whatever whatevers was the prize and my thinking was, if I won it (spoiler, I didn't), I'd sell it, buy a $3k bike and put the rest into the new windows fund.
Or you could just get the vaccine and get the windows upgrade for free!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 04-03-21, 06:32 PM
  #5867  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Old guy content. Read at your own peril.

[TMI]

I have a pretty bad case of nocturia. That is, when I lay down to sleep I need to get up to pee every 5 or 10 minutes for at least an hour. As it progresses I get frustrated, which doesn't really aid in getting to sleep. It's grown worse over time. The possible solution is medication, but the medication jacks up my HR and my cursory evaluation of that situation is that it'll be a death nail for racing. I lasted two days on one medication, told my wife to divorce me if she couldn't live with it, and went back to life (meaning I get up every ten minutes to pee). I got another medication from the doc, but the literature on the side effects read about the same so I kicked it down the road. But at this point I'm kind of at my wits end. We're going camping in a few weeks and the idea of having to get out of the trailer 6 times an hour is harshing on the inner peace brought on by going on vacation. Dear diary, not sure what to do. How important is racing or training to the outter edges of one's ability? Will the side effects abate? Do we really need sleep anyway? Why can't I be happy doing an hour or two of vigorous exercise a day just for its own sake? And why if I'm not racing couldn't i eat a diet that included something other than cookies and pizza?

[/TMI]

Last edited by gsteinb; 04-03-21 at 06:51 PM.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 04-03-21, 08:52 PM
  #5868  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,428
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8365 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,540 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Old guy content. Read at your own peril.

[TMI]

I have a pretty bad case of nocturia. That is, when I lay down to sleep I need to get up to pee every 5 or 10 minutes for at least an hour. As it progresses I get frustrated, which doesn't really aid in getting to sleep. It's grown worse over time. The possible solution is medication, but the medication jacks up my HR and my cursory evaluation of that situation is that it'll be a death nail for racing. I lasted two days on one medication, told my wife to divorce me if she couldn't live with it, and went back to life (meaning I get up every ten minutes to pee). I got another medication from the doc, but the literature on the side effects read about the same so I kicked it down the road. But at this point I'm kind of at my wits end. We're going camping in a few weeks and the idea of having to get out of the trailer 6 times an hour is harshing on the inner peace brought on by going on vacation. Dear diary, not sure what to do. How important is racing or training to the outter edges of one's ability? Will the side effects abate? Do we really need sleep anyway? Why can't I be happy doing an hour or two of vigorous exercise a day just for its own sake? And why if I'm not racing couldn't i eat a diet that included something other than cookies and pizza?

[/TMI]
Sorry, that really sucks. I've dealt with prostate problems before and it seems to be under control now but sometimes I get that thing of having to get up soon after going to bed. Sometimes I'll even let myself get dehydrated before bed. One doctor told me to soak in a hot bath for 15 minute every day which helped a lot. Also, stress makes everything worse but being retired helped that. I'm 67 in a couple weeks.

edited to add: The doc also recommended staying off the bike when symptoms were their worst. Also, no caffeine, no spices, and take Ibuprofen twice a day. Now that it's mostly under control I am back to coffee and an occasional Coke.

Last edited by big john; 04-04-21 at 11:52 AM.
big john is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 07:49 AM
  #5869  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Really sucks gsteinb. I'd say try the 2nd med and see if the side effects are bad. You can always ditch it, so no hurt giving it a shot.
cmh is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 09:35 AM
  #5870  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,245

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,267 Times in 1,713 Posts
Bummer gsteinb . Hope you can find some workarounds or otherwise let it subside. Is taking the medication intermittently an option?
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 04:31 PM
  #5871  
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Old guy content. Read at your own peril.

[TMI]

I have a pretty bad case of nocturia. That is, when I lay down to sleep I need to get up to pee every 5 or 10 minutes for at least an hour. As it progresses I get frustrated, which doesn't really aid in getting to sleep. It's grown worse over time. The possible solution is medication, but the medication jacks up my HR and my cursory evaluation of that situation is that it'll be a death nail for racing. I lasted two days on one medication, told my wife to divorce me if she couldn't live with it, and went back to life (meaning I get up every ten minutes to pee). I got another medication from the doc, but the literature on the side effects read about the same so I kicked it down the road. But at this point I'm kind of at my wits end. We're going camping in a few weeks and the idea of having to get out of the trailer 6 times an hour is harshing on the inner peace brought on by going on vacation. Dear diary, not sure what to do. How important is racing or training to the outter edges of one's ability? Will the side effects abate? Do we really need sleep anyway? Why can't I be happy doing an hour or two of vigorous exercise a day just for its own sake? And why if I'm not racing couldn't i eat a diet that included something other than cookies and pizza?

[/TMI]
Any discussion of using a catheter at night? They can be self-inserted.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 04-04-21 at 07:20 PM.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 06:51 PM
  #5872  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-04-21, 07:44 PM
  #5873  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I can't really wrap my head around 10K+ bicycles.
I can't either and yet here I am ordering a bike that will come in almost on at $10,000.
guachi is offline  
Old 04-05-21, 08:27 AM
  #5874  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,570
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Built up my first set of wheels this weekend. A good friend walked me through the process. I'm pretty excited about it. I've got the first layer of glue on the rims and tires, and I am optimistic I'll be riding them this weekend.
topflightpro is offline  
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-05-21, 10:19 AM
  #5875  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,200

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Built up my first set of wheels this weekend. A good friend walked me through the process. I'm pretty excited about it. I've got the first layer of glue on the rims and tires, and I am optimistic I'll be riding them this weekend.
that's awesome, I kind of want to build my own. I still have the original wheelset of first raleigh roadbike, which came with 105 hubs (8 speed, but I still ride 8 speed on my allez) and sun m13II rims which could serve as a learning platform, but I don't even have a truing stand so at the moment it's kind of moot.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.