Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   pro speeds (https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/116808-pro-speeds.html)

geneman 06-25-05 09:43 PM

Just got back from the Rochester Twilight Criterium Pro 1-2 race. It was absolutely fantastic to watch!! Bottom line ... these guys went all out for 2 hours straight. They were absolutely FLYING around the course. Very awe inspiring.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how many training races or cat 4 or 5 races I eventually win in my life, I will NEVER be FAST. Ladies and gentlemen, it's night and day between the pro 1-2's and ANY OTHER cat.

:(

Here's a partial list of pros that participated;

Kodak Gallery/Sierra Nevada Professional Cycling Team
Hayden Godfrey - 2004 Olympian, 2003 World Cup Pursuit Champion, mulitple New Zealand national Champion.
Pete Lopinto - Multiple New Jersey State Champion and one of the top US criterium riders.
Dominique Perras - 2003 Canadian National Road Race Champion with extensive European palmares.
Dan Schmatz - Criterium Specialist with multiple National Calendar Race wins.
Scott Zwizanski - Pro since 2004, resilient and talented with a huge future.

Team Navigators
Marty Nothstein - 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist & Multiple World/National champion
Vassili Davidenko - Russian Olympian / National Champion
Oleg Griskine - Russian Olympian / National Champion

ACT-UPMC
Joseph Papp
Alvaro Tardaguila - former Uruguayan National Champion
Mateo Sasso - former Uruguayan National Champion
Alberto Blanco - former member of the Cuban National Team

Team Jet Fuel Coffee
Tim Lefebvre multi time Canadian National Champion
Buck Miller
Joe Guliano

Gears Racing
Dan Lefebvre - Criterium Specialist and 4 time Canadian National Champion

ItalPasta - Transport Belmire C.C.
Jeff Hansen

Colavita/Sutter Home
Sebastian Alexandre - 9-time Argentinean National Champion
Gustavo Artacho - 2000 Olympian, 5-time Argentinean Nat.Champion
Juan Jose Haedo - 4-time Argentinean Nat.Champion

Davidenko took the win.

Mark

Mojo GoGo 06-26-05 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by geneman
Davidenko took the win.

Actually Juan Jose Haedo - 4-time Argentinean Nat.Champion won the race.

Definitely a neat race. I volunteered and got to register some of the Cat 3 and pro teams and also marshalled one of the corners during the pro race. I wish I could have seen more - I had the final turn before the long down hill straight away so they were probably at their slowest point when they were passing me. They were still motoring around the corner and plenty of pedals were hitting the pavement - one of the pros even low sided on the first lap.

ed073 06-27-05 07:34 PM


Originally Posted by geneman
Ladies and gentlemen, it's night and day between the pro 1-2's and ANY OTHER cat.




Correct. :D

my58vw 06-27-05 07:50 PM

Isn't that the reason that it is so hard to get out of cat 3? So many people who should be 1 and 2's hide and sandbag in 3's...

ed073 06-27-05 07:56 PM


Originally Posted by my58vw
Isn't that the reason that it is so hard to get out of cat 3? So many people who should be 1 and 2's hide and sandbag in 3's...



Race in Belgium. No stoopid categories to try and slot into...mass start, first 20 home get the chocolates.

Couldn't be simpler. :)

Phatman 06-28-05 07:00 AM

watching one of the cat1,2 races, I think I MIGHT be able to hang on the flats, but damn, they climb so fast! I did this crit in chapel hill (meadowmont) in may that had these 2 hills that were probably >12% gradient for about 15 pedal strokes, and I just stood to get over them, otherwise I wouldve had to drop to the small ring every lap to sit and spin. the cat 1,2 field was big ringin' it at around 20-25 mph on those hills! unbeleivable.

Smoothie104 06-28-05 09:27 AM

Yeah, a couple of years ago, in the Pro 1,2 crit in Jacksonville, There was a couple of guys up the road, but with several laps to go, The big local team (JC Investors) had like 8 guys riding tempo, keeping the gap in check. They were just simply flying up the climb everytime, and one time, some guy or guys in front were singing "my Girl likes to party all the time" by Eddie Murphy.... Truely a wtf moment.

97 Teran 06-28-05 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by ed073
first 20 home get the chocolates.

After all these years, I've finally found motivation to race. :D

2Rodies 06-28-05 02:26 PM

Two observations.
1 if you think those guys are fast you should see the Euro pro's go at it they make our domestic pro racing look like a club ride.

2 The difference from a cat 5 to a cat 4 isn't that big of a leap. C4's just go longer not much faster. The jump from 4 to 3 is a bigger jump longer and faster. 3 to 2 is even bigger but 2 to 1 isn't that big of leap. The gap from 5 to one might as well be from here to the sun. It's sick how fast these guys are and that they can ride that fast for so long.

thunder 06-29-05 01:46 AM

Ed, what riders did some of the A grade crits have in them this year in Summer.

I believe Cadel Evans, Hilton Clarke, his brother, Will Walker, Gerrans... did Wilson or Baden Cooke ride?

how often do the pros ride Hell ride in the summer. (The local Saturday morning ride for Melbournians)

ed073 06-29-05 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by thunder
Ed, what riders did some of the A grade crits have in them this year in Summer.

I believe Cadel Evans, Hilton Clarke, his brother, Will Walker, Gerrans... did Wilson or Baden Cooke ride?

how often do the pros ride Hell ride in the summer. (The local Saturday morning ride for Melbournians)


All of the above. Plus Dave McKenzie, Robbie McEwen, Rory Sutherland etc etc.....plus all the Melbourne locals of course.

Hell Ride from around early December through to the start of the JCTDU is your best bet for star spotting....but you'll need to be at the pointy end!!

Phatman 06-29-05 07:27 PM


Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Two observations.
1 if you think those guys are fast you should see the Euro pro's go at it they make our domestic pro racing look like a club ride.

2 The difference from a cat 5 to a cat 4 isn't that big of a leap. C4's just go longer not much faster. The jump from 4 to 3 is a bigger jump longer and faster. 3 to 2 is even bigger but 2 to 1 isn't that big of leap. The gap from 5 to one might as well be from here to the sun. It's sick how fast these guys are and that they can ride that fast for so long.

I dunno, I think id be hard to from 2 to 1, since most races have the 1s and pros together w/ the 2s

EventServices 06-30-05 04:51 AM

And here's something interesting about that Rochester race list: aside from Davidenko, Marty, Papp, Schmatz, Godfrey, JJHaedo, and Lefevre, those guys are considered B-list riders.
For example, Mark McCormack rode away from a similar field in Columbus two weeks ago.

And the Euros USED to be much faster than US riders, but I can tell you that the euros that came to the Tour de Georgia would disagree with that assessment. They were saying so between races.

531Aussie 06-30-05 05:03 AM


Originally Posted by 97 Teran
After all these years, I've finally found motivation to race. :D

Yeah, there were no bloody chocolates when I used to hack around in B grade :)

geneman 06-30-05 06:44 AM


Originally Posted by EventServices
And here's something interesting about that Rochester race list: aside from Davidenko, Marty, Papp, Schmatz, Godfrey, JJHaedo, and Lefevre, those guys are considered B-list riders.
For example, Mark McCormack rode away from a similar field in Columbus two weeks ago.

And the Euros USED to be much faster than US riders, but I can tell you that the euros that came to the Tour de Georgia would disagree with that assessment. They were saying so between races.


I spent a little time talking with Chuck Coyle while he stretched before the race. He seemed like a very cool guy (grew up in Rochester to boot). While he finished 3rd last year, he missed the big break this year and didn't crack the top 20 I believe. I have to hand it to these guys. Not only is it a lot of hard work to race at that level, but the pay sucks unless you're at or near the top of the sport. Add to that the constant traveling, blah, blah.

Mark

cs124 06-30-05 07:05 AM


Originally Posted by ed073
All of the above. Plus Dave McKenzie, Robbie McEwen, Rory Sutherland etc etc.....plus all the Melbourne locals of course.

Hell Ride from around early December through to the start of the JCTDU is your best bet for star spotting....but you'll need to be at the pointy end!!

One summer 10-ish years ago I was riding the Hell Ride and happened to find myself at the pointy end just after Oliver's on Scott McGrory's wheel. He's riding next to Stephen Pate, talking away like it's nothing. Pate is nodding and grunting and slowly turning purple. Pate pops and starts sliding back, McGrory keeps talking until he realises there's no-one there, looks around, raises his eyebrows and keeps pedalling. I nearly choked trying to hold the laughter in.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.