Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Going 56kph on milton track

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Going 56kph on milton track

Old 01-30-20, 10:59 AM
  #1  
Mathiasguilleme
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Going 56kph on milton track

Hey guys! I was wondering if anybody here knows the maths to tell me how many watts should I be required to go 56kph on milton track(without the start). So letís say a flying effort, how many watts I will be putting out at 56kph. Cda 0.172, weight 67kg, chain and chainring optimized, good line around the track. Thanks!!
Mathiasguilleme is offline  
Likes For Mathiasguilleme:
Old 01-30-20, 12:33 PM
  #2  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
https://analyticcycling.com/DiffEqMo...ions_Page.html
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 01-30-20, 12:40 PM
  #3  
echappist
fuggitivo solitario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mathiasguilleme View Post
Hey guys! I was wondering if anybody here knows the maths to tell me how many watts should I be required to go 56kph on milton track(without the start). So letís say a flying effort, how many watts I will be putting out at 56kph. Cda 0.172, weight 67kg, chain and chainring optimized, good line around the track. Thanks!!
didn't you post on this almost the same issue on slowtwitch?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...g=cda#p7136705
echappist is offline  
Old 01-30-20, 01:23 PM
  #4  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,765

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 343 Posts
I referred him here in case some of our resident trackies were interested.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-30-20, 03:28 PM
  #5  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,018

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Welcome to bike forums. 437.9 watts assuming a 1.19 Rho and .004 Crr. How do you know your CdA? It seems low...FWIW.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-30-20 at 04:04 PM.
Hermes is offline  
Old 01-30-20, 03:31 PM
  #6  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,018

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
I referred him here in case some of our resident trackies were interested.
I think you referred him to track nerds.
Hermes is offline  
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-30-20, 05:58 PM
  #7  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,765

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 343 Posts
FWIW I did a Chung test recently testing for CRR and holding aero constant and got a combo of a rear 25mm gp5000 and latex with a front Vittoria pista in tiny 19mm below .004 on just the standard tarmac in front of my house.

Even outdoors track tires should be well under .004. I think .004 is giving away some.

Good powah!!! Saw the ST posts. Would fit pictures give away any of your CdA secrets?

That CdA would have to be with some great kit plus a small person in a great position.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 09:01 AM
  #8  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,018

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 326 Posts
@ Crr of .003 the power is 426 watts. Also, keep in mind that there is a centrifugal force in the turns that increases the rider weight. At Velo Sports Center, one would experience 2 g's' in the turns. At a lesser banked track the effect is less. The model I created has none of those effects.
Hermes is offline  
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-31-20, 09:08 AM
  #9  
Mathiasguilleme
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
FWIW I did a Chung test recently testing for CRR and holding aero constant and got a combo of a rear 25mm gp5000 and latex with a front Vittoria pista in tiny 19mm below .004 on just the standard tarmac in front of my house.

Even outdoors track tires should be well under .004. I think .004 is giving away some.

Good powah!!! Saw the ST posts. Would fit pictures give away any of your CdA secrets?

That CdA would have to be with some great kit plus a small person in a great position.
message me on Instagram... I canít post photos here apparently math.guil
Mathiasguilleme is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 09:17 AM
  #10  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,018

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Moderation note: We require 10 posts before a user can post a pic or a link in order to reduce spam. I suggest going to introductions and introducing yourself and welcome others and or participate in the training status or water cooler threads here. Soon you will meet the 10 post requirement.
Hermes is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 10:25 AM
  #11  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,765

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mathiasguilleme View Post
message me on Instagram... I canít post photos here apparently math.guil
Is that you in the Poc Tempor helmet? Those things have come back into vogue when Huub went with them. When I was hunting for a newer helmet, I couldn't sniff a Tempor anywhere. I got a steal on a Cerebel.

This is totally just an armchair hobbyist TT'er spit-balling, so ignore since you're FAR beyond any level I'll ever ride a bike at:
Not sure on the rules, but those Boa shoes are probably costing some watts. I'm a huge fan of the laceup Giro SLX using a Specialized cover OR even without the cover. No matter the pedal choice. Socks looking choice though.

On Slowtwitch there was a topic where a guy is starting a business for TT/tri specific shoes and making some claims after a tunnel test. I specifically asked why the Giro laceups with the Specialized cover weren't tested against his product.............and............cricketts. Quiet. I'm guessing they're too good for him to test against. They're not great for Tri since you have to put them on and spend the time lacing them up. So probably he didn't choose them for that reason.

Otherwise, that's an amazingly slick ride/position. Also, on curiosity, what crank length is that?
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 10:46 AM
  #12  
Mathiasguilleme
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Is that you in the Poc Tempor helmet? Those things have come back into vogue when Huub went with them. When I was hunting for a newer helmet, I couldn't sniff a Tempor anywhere. I got a steal on a Cerebel.

This is totally just an armchair hobbyist TT'er spit-balling, so ignore since you're FAR beyond any level I'll ever ride a bike at:
Not sure on the rules, but those Boa shoes are probably costing some watts. I'm a huge fan of the laceup Giro SLX using a Specialized cover OR even without the cover. No matter the pedal choice. Socks looking choice though.

On Slowtwitch there was a topic where a guy is starting a business for TT/tri specific shoes and making some claims after a tunnel test. I specifically asked why the Giro laceups with the Specialized cover weren't tested against his product.............and............cricketts. Quiet. I'm guessing they're too good for him to test against. They're not great for Tri since you have to put them on and spend the time lacing them up. So probably he didn't choose them for that reason.

Otherwise, that's an amazingly slick ride/position. Also, on curiosity, what crank length is that?
I mean now we can put shoe cover on the track so shoe Choice doesnít really matter...its 172.5 tt and 170 on track! Go big or go home ahahahah
Mathiasguilleme is offline  
Likes For Mathiasguilleme:
Old 01-31-20, 10:51 AM
  #13  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,846
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 158 Posts
Are you curious for your time in a F200, TT or pursuit?
topflightpro is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 11:16 AM
  #14  
Mathiasguilleme
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Are you curious for your time in a F200, TT or pursuit?
pursuit
Mathiasguilleme is offline  
Likes For Mathiasguilleme:
Old 01-31-20, 11:29 AM
  #15  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,765

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 343 Posts
Gotcha, with the cover it's a bit of a non issue.

170 is a good length. I'm 5' 10" and went with 165's on the TT bike.

I'm asking/posting some of this as filler talk so you can get up to your 10 posts faster. Ha!
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 02:10 PM
  #16  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,018

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Mathiasguilleme View Post
pursuit
For the 4k pursuit, 426 watts at 34.7 mph equates to a 16.1 second lap and with an opening lap of 21 seconds yields 4:22 4k pursuit time on the 250 indoor track at 120 cadence in 97.2 gear inches based upon a standard tubular disc with a 21 mm tire. That's fast.

Last edited by Hermes; 02-01-20 at 09:24 AM.
Hermes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.