Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Chris Sheppard-"I cheated"

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Chris Sheppard-"I cheated"

Old 10-07-05, 11:57 AM
  #1  
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?
Thread Starter
 
skinnyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Guess
Posts: 2,680

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris Sheppard-"I cheated"

A rather poignant write up... Feel for the guy...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...5/oct07mtbnews
skinnyone is offline  
Old 10-19-05, 03:44 PM
  #2  
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge
 
simplyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,993

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyone
A rather poignant write up... Feel for the guy...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...5/oct07mtbnews
.....

Kinda perplexing situation.
Do you sympathize for the fact that he loves something so much - he'd do anything for it?
Or do you point the finger at him and say - you did the wrong thing?

I've never raced - I don't obsess about cycling THAT much. I could never put myself in his shoes...
MY take on drug usage - I'm sure the pressure is there to put yourself THAT much further away than your competitors. Do you falter in your childhood [I'm assuming] roots & values and give in to cheating?
I'm not that competitive in nature - so I could never do something "extra" just so I can have a piece of glory...

It's what its worth to you.

-Peter
simplyred is offline  
Old 10-19-05, 04:03 PM
  #3  
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Posts: 2,750

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry but this feels like the standard "I'm sorry that I got caught apology". It's like when a televangelis gets caught with a hooker then cry's on camera begging for forgiveness. He'd kept cheating if he'd never been caught.
2Rodies is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 01:28 PM
  #4  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its hard to point fingers - I could see myself justifying that - for as much as I despise and abhor pain killers, drugs, drinking, steroids or anything that gives an unnatural boost or break from reality - It is truly sad. You wish you could say - okay its over, my time is up, but its alot harder - especially when it was taken away.

I don't know him, i don't know his pain or glory, but I do feel for him.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 01:31 PM
  #5  
kubla khan
mostly harmless
 
kubla khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 333

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Sorry but this feels like the standard "I'm sorry that I got caught apology". It's like when a televangelis gets caught with a hooker then cry's on camera begging for forgiveness. He'd kept cheating if he'd never been caught.
I guess. I think people take doping in cycling too seriously. There are ALOT of cyclists (or just athletes in general, in all sports) doping out there. Some of them get caught, some do not. I found it interesting that he would write something like this and for once list out some reasons as to why he did it.

Again, it's only cycling, even in the pro ranks, it's only cycling.. Some people are cheating, many do not get caught. It's obviously a bad thing but hey that's life. There will ALWAYS be cheaters, in everything. People on this forum always get bend out of shape about doping; get over it, it will always take place. It's being fought but the authorities will never completely win...

Anyways, i thought it was a well-written and clearly very emotional piece.
kubla khan is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 01:46 PM
  #6  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 02:00 PM
  #7  
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Posts: 2,750

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kubla khan
I guess. I think people take doping in cycling too seriously. There are ALOT of cyclists (or just athletes in general, in all sports) doping out there. Some of them get caught, some do not. I found it interesting that he would write something like this and for once list out some reasons as to why he did it.

Again, it's only cycling, even in the pro ranks, it's only cycling.. Some people are cheating, many do not get caught. It's obviously a bad thing but hey that's life. There will ALWAYS be cheaters, in everything. People on this forum always get bend out of shape about doping; get over it, it will always take place. It's being fought but the authorities will never completely win...

Anyways, i thought it was a well-written and clearly very emotional piece.
I'm actually one of those who believes that not just some but the majority of the pro peleton is doping. I wish it were clean but I can live with it either way. What bothers me is that when athletes, politions, celebs, et al do this mia copa (sp) after getting caught. Ricky V balled his eye's out after he finally admitted to doping and doubt that there was a sincer tear shed. David Miller was all apologies, after he got caught. They are allways sorry after the fact but still they did it...and still would be doing it if they hadn't got caught.
2Rodies is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 02:04 PM
  #8  
PaulBravey
Senior Member
 
PaulBravey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's 'mea culpa'.
PaulBravey is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 04:02 PM
  #9  
roadgator
raodmaster shaman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: G-ville
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
David Miller was all apologies, after he got caught.
he didnt get caught, he turned himself in; one of the few honorable stories related to doping. i do agree that if they realy felt bad about it they wouldnt be doping in the first place, but an appology is still better than being flippant about it (jose canseco, bonds, all the MLB guys) or needlessly fighting it when you plainly got caught (tyler hamilton).
roadgator is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 04:31 PM
  #10  
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Posts: 2,750

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadgator
he didnt get caught, he turned himself in; one of the few honorable stories related to doping. i do agree that if they realy felt bad about it they wouldnt be doping in the first place, but an appology is still better than being flippant about it (jose canseco, bonds, all the MLB guys) or needlessly fighting it when you plainly got caught (tyler hamilton).

Sorry but DM got caught, then he confessed.

https://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/6353.0.html
2Rodies is offline  
Old 10-20-05, 08:58 PM
  #11  
roadgator
raodmaster shaman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: G-ville
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ i stand corrected. he never tested posative but was found with empty vials of EPO. so i geuss he did get caught.
roadgator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.