Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Jans Tour prep starts tomorrow!

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Jans Tour prep starts tomorrow!

Old 06-15-06, 03:28 PM
  #51  
ShinyBaldy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
What is Pedalforce, and does Ullrichs bike really look like one? Is it the cycling equivalent of "everything tastes like chicken"??

https://pedalforce.com/online/index.p...92e18b2230082e

The bike Ullrich rides = Giant Advanced ISP.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global...bike/html.aspx

The Pedalforce rebadge thing is just on the side business deal... it is pretty common to see European brands use a ODM to produce composite frames. Many Taiwanese firms just have more experience, facilities, and access to cheaper and better labor than a small firm in Europe can manage.
ShinyBaldy is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 04:02 PM
  #52  
DocRay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
What is Pedalforce, and does Ullrichs bike really look like one? Is it the cycling equivalent of "everything tastes like chicken"??
https://www.pedalforce.com/online/

It's doesn't "look-like", it is. The QS2.
 
Old 06-15-06, 04:38 PM
  #53  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


could it be the schnitzel or the strudel. i told you he was just hungry.
yellowjeep is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 06:03 PM
  #54  
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling
 
jbhowat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,617

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. All the schnitzel and struddle and fat comments are getting to be really ****ing cliche. Its funny that last year when he wasn't as major of a contender these forums were a lot less uppity about JU, but now that he's likely to win the Tour, or at least has a good chance people are calling him fat.

He's on his best form in years by all reports. He's not fat. He's stronger than just about everyone in the peloton.
jbhowat is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 06:05 PM
  #55  
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stronger than just about everyone in the peloton does not a three week race win.
DrWJODonnell is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 07:39 PM
  #56  
2wheeled
Cheers!
 
2wheeled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Woodinville
Posts: 1,284

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say what you want, the soul krusha is coming into form at the right time.
It's going to be a great tour.
__________________
2wheeled is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 08:29 PM
  #57  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jbhowat
Wow. All the schnitzel and struddle and fat comments are getting to be really ****ing cliche. Its funny that last year when he wasn't as major of a contender these forums were a lot less uppity about JU, but now that he's likely to win the Tour, or at least has a good chance people are calling him fat.

He's on his best form in years by all reports. He's not fat. He's stronger than just about everyone in the peloton.
Word.

I think a lot of people making the dumb comments don't know much about form or how to cycle efficiently. The best way of controlling your heart rate and getting maximum air into the lungs is through belly breathing- and when you belly breathe, you work to expand the chest and abdomen when you inhale. A lot of the pictures shown here are when Jan is doing just that. Maybe before making pedestrian comments, maybe it's better to understand proper cycling and good form first?

Thanks JB for pointing that out.

Koffee
 
Old 06-15-06, 10:20 PM
  #58  
bigtrack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jan is looking fit...

He set the tempo today for sure on the first "real" mountain stage of the TdS (one 1st cat doesn't count!). thebroadbandracer.com has highlights. Basso should be worried.
bigtrack is offline  
Old 06-15-06, 10:38 PM
  #59  
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He set the tempo today for sure on the first "real" mountain stage of the TdS (one 1st cat doesn't count!). thebroadbandracer.com has highlights. Basso should be worried.
Basso will have no trouble outclimbing Jan. Jan will be better in the TT and so that is what makes this interesting. Great climber/Good TTist vs. Great TTist/Good climber.

My money is still easily on Basso.
DrWJODonnell is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 12:08 AM
  #60  
bigtrack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still gotta go with Jan on this...

Basso has definetly given up some of his climbing chops to improve his ITT. And the roads of France are littered with Giro climbers that thought they could beat a great ITTist at the Tour. When was the last time the best climber in the race won the yellow? Pantani, than all the way back to Delgado? My money is on Jan.
bigtrack is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 12:30 AM
  #61  
Starclimber
Blue Straggler
 
Starclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delta
Posts: 1,187

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Er, well, there was that pesky 'Lance' dude chasing down the 'pure climbers' and leaving them in the dust. Of course, he was also the best ITTist most days, so maybe we should disregard him. Basso may be the more complete package, but damn, Ullrich was looking good today.
__________________
Coach Bill
Starclimber is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 09:02 AM
  #62  
jkoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Paso Robles Ca.
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Word.

I think a lot of people making the dumb comments don't know much about form or how to cycle efficiently. The best way of controlling your heart rate and getting maximum air into the lungs is through belly breathing- and when you belly breathe, you work to expand the chest and abdomen when you inhale. A lot of the pictures shown here are when Jan is doing just that. Maybe before making pedestrian comments, maybe it's better to understand proper cycling and good form first?

Thanks JB for pointing that out.

Koffee
People love to " knock " others...they get satisfaction from it. Others may really understand and believe they are right...key word being understand. Your point is well taken. I can hear those who will say that if Jan wins....Basso would have won but for Giro...Jan could't beat LA....trying to undermine him.

He deserves credit for continuing to battle when $ and security are already assured. He may be lacking a little in preparation at times, but is the kind of competitor I love to root for. I choose to adopt the opinion...If Jan wins this year he becomes a 2 time TDF winner seperated by 8 years, with 5 2nd places. A remarkable record for a guy who doesn't know how to pedal.
jkoman is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 09:23 AM
  #63  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually like Jan, alot. He is by far and away my favorite rider. I think he will win, and I want him to win. I still think the studel comments are funny only because of Der Kaiser's myspace when he talks about hot dog eating contests and playing quarters. The comment I made about the picture was not intended to be a knock, sorry that it came off that way.
yellowjeep is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 10:35 AM
  #64  
bigtrack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance doesn't count...

Originally Posted by Starclimber
Er, well, there was that pesky 'Lance' dude chasing down the 'pure climbers' and leaving them in the dust. Of course, he was also the best ITTist most days, so maybe we should disregard him. Basso may be the more complete package, but damn, Ullrich was looking good today.
I am definitely leaving Lance out, although he was beatable by the pure climbers when they were on (Euskaltel's climbers did it a couple times). Unless you are comparing Basso to Lance, and despite the big Giro win, Basso is not even close. I was refering to the italian climbers that have tried for the Tour...Garzelli, Simoni, Visentini...and a bunch of others have all missed out because the Tour has always been biased toward the ITT specialists.
bigtrack is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 10:43 AM
  #65  
DocRay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Word.

I think a lot of people making the dumb comments don't know much about form or how to cycle efficiently. The best way of controlling your heart rate and getting maximum air into the lungs is through belly breathing- and when you belly breathe, you work to expand the chest and abdomen when you inhale. A lot of the pictures shown here are when Jan is doing just that. Maybe before making pedestrian comments, maybe it's better to understand proper cycling and good form first?

Thanks JB for pointing that out.

Koffee
guys ..please...do you really think Jan's secret is "belly breathing"? talk about pedestrian..that's sittng down.

I'll just go with the facts for now: Fact 1: 1997 was nine years ago. Fact 2:he got dropped every day at the Giro until he had to quit. Fact 3: he's done sweet f-all in Switzerland and should have dominated at least two stages that are his specialty.
No one wins tours with good intentions and promise.
I'm looking forward to July so we can all finally move on from der kaiser's "talent".
 
Old 06-16-06, 11:19 AM
  #66  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
guys ..please...do you really think Jan's secret is "belly breathing"? talk about pedestrian..that's sittng down.

I'll just go with the facts for now: Fact 1: 1997 was nine years ago. Fact 2:he got dropped every day at the Giro until he had to quit. Fact 3: he's done sweet f-all in Switzerland and should have dominated at least two stages that are his specialty.
No one wins tours with good intentions and promise.
I'm looking forward to July so we can all finally move on from der kaiser's "talent".
You are in love with Basso, we know. However, the way you comment on Ullrich is just sad. He is fantastic but you ignore the good (giro stage win, climbing skills) and only remember the bad (fat years ago).

Come the end of July you will either look like a total idiot or be the worst poor-winner around.

Sure Jan came in second to Lance but so did your God. Remember the TT up Alp d' Huez? Of course you don't.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 12:18 PM
  #67  
daytonian
elitist jerk
 
daytonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Blow - hio
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think were all guaranteed to see Ullrich TT over Basso and Basso drop Ullrich. I'm looking forward to seeing Basso really drop the hammer on the montaintop finishes. It impressed me how he left Cunego looking like a man who wrote some checks his legs couldn't cash.
I don't we've seen Basso drop the hammer yet. Ullrich hopefully will push him to do that.
daytonian is offline  
Old 06-16-06, 01:58 PM
  #68  
DocRay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
You are in love with Basso, we know. However, the way you comment on Ullrich is just sad. He is fantastic but you ignore the good (giro stage win, climbing skills) and only remember the bad (fat years ago).

Come the end of July you will either look like a total idiot or be the worst poor-winner around.

Sure Jan came in second to Lance but so did your God. Remember the TT up Alp d' Huez? Of course you don't.
Actually, I'm not certain if Basso will win in July, but I'm quite certain Ullrich will not. Unpredictable crashes or sickness can affect any rider.
I never understand arguments on past performances with the current year. Remember the previous stage to the 2004 TT up Alp d'huez? When Basso beat Armstrong and Jan was no where to be seen? Whatever, that was Armstrong, and two years ago. How about Basso beating Ullrich by 2+ minutes in 05? ..and in 04? Despite having raced the Giro while Jan was on the sunbed in May? I'm still waiting for the "Basso got sick at the Giro in 05" argument.

Don't forget the 06 Giro, when I managed to predict the extact stage Ullrich would quit, though the Jansterbators called me a total idiot for even suggesting Ullrich would get on the broomwagon.
I'm still considering it, but I will soon post the stage I think Jan will loose 3+ minutes to the leader, whoever that will be.

What Jansterbators are forgetting is while he historically trains for one race and manages to do well, he is getting older, and that those undisciplined methods won't work any more. Riders need more discipline with age, with the point to obsession. Plus, T-mobile cannot really support him, and in the modern TDF, a rider cannot win without very good support (...don't flame me with stories of 1949). If Ullrich were on CSC and more motivated, I'd definitely put him on the podium.
In this year, Jan pulled a 30 second stage win at the Giro with headwinds for all riders that followed.yipeee..he lost 12 minutes over the next three stages.
I hope that Landis, leipheimer or Basso win, so the sport can stop this "training for one race a year" syndrome. If Ullrich does pull it out an win, good on him, it will be the biggest cinderella story in cycling since Armstrong's first win.

I don't undertstand the "poor-winner" comment. I'm not racing in the TDF, if Ullrich wins this year, will you be the winner?
 
Old 06-17-06, 09:57 PM
  #69  
0-20 in 5 Sec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When der kaiser speakeths:



It is done:

0-20 in 5 Sec is offline  
Old 06-17-06, 10:43 PM
  #70  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,984

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Actually, I'm not certain if Basso will win in July, but I'm quite certain Ullrich will not. Unpredictable crashes or sickness can affect any rider.
I never understand arguments on past performances with the current year. Remember the previous stage to the 2004 TT up Alp d'huez? When Basso beat Armstrong and Jan was no where to be seen? Whatever, that was Armstrong, and two years ago. How about Basso beating Ullrich by 2+ minutes in 05? ..and in 04? Despite having raced the Giro while Jan was on the sunbed in May? I'm still waiting for the "Basso got sick at the Giro in 05" argument.

Don't forget the 06 Giro, when I managed to predict the extact stage Ullrich would quit, though the Jansterbators called me a total idiot for even suggesting Ullrich would get on the broomwagon.
I'm still considering it, but I will soon post the stage I think Jan will loose 3+ minutes to the leader, whoever that will be.

What Jansterbators are forgetting is while he historically trains for one race and manages to do well, he is getting older, and that those undisciplined methods won't work any more. Riders need more discipline with age, with the point to obsession. Plus, T-mobile cannot really support him, and in the modern TDF, a rider cannot win without very good support (...don't flame me with stories of 1949). If Ullrich were on CSC and more motivated, I'd definitely put him on the podium.
In this year, Jan pulled a 30 second stage win at the Giro with headwinds for all riders that followed.yipeee..he lost 12 minutes over the next three stages.
I hope that Landis, leipheimer or Basso win, so the sport can stop this "training for one race a year" syndrome. If Ullrich does pull it out an win, good on him, it will be the biggest cinderella story in cycling since Armstrong's first win.

I don't undertstand the "poor-winner" comment. I'm not racing in the TDF, if Ullrich wins this year, will you be the winner?

Doc - Congrats on picking the stage that Jan exited the Giro - but it was evident from the start that Jan was there to train - not compete. Even though I wouldn't bet on Jan over Ivan in this year's TDF, comparing their results at the Giro is meaningless. It does look like der Jan has a shot at pulling out a victory in the TDS later today, and will be coming on to form at the right time. July will be epic.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 06-18-06, 03:26 PM
  #71  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I deleted a post that had the results of the Tour de Suisse. I'll bring it back tomorrow.

Please do not post spoilers.

Koffee Brown

Forum Moderator
 
Old 06-18-06, 05:51 PM
  #72  
Ceya
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok race is over, can you post the results today.

Jan is the man. I didn't think he was that close.

It will be a good July.

S/F,
CEYA!
Strength and Honor!!

Last edited by Ceya; 06-18-06 at 05:56 PM.
Ceya is offline  
Old 06-18-06, 05:53 PM
  #73  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,636

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I will watch the rebroadcast on OLN on Monday to experience the superiority of Der Jan!

Der Jan is making swiss cheese of those cycling pretenders.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 06-18-06, 07:12 PM
  #74  
waltergodefroot
Retired Pro Rider/DS
 
waltergodefroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: second guessing Olaf and Rudy
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
guys ..please...do you really think Jan's secret is "belly breathing"? talk about pedestrian..that's sittng down.

I'll just go with the facts for now: Fact 1: 1997 was nine years ago. Fact 2:he got dropped every day at the Giro until he had to quit. Fact 3: he's done sweet f-all in Switzerland and should have dominated at least two stages that are his specialty.
No one wins tours with good intentions and promise.
I'm looking forward to July so we can all finally move on from der kaiser's "talent".
Fact: Jan dropped Basso on the only stage he tried.

Headline from cyclingnews.com:

Jan's one mean motor scooter

Results Stage 11 - Thursday, May 18: Pontedera - Pontedera ITT, 50 km

1 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 58.48 (51.02 km/h)
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.28

I guess fanaticism can cloud the vision and obscure the facts.
waltergodefroot is offline  
Old 06-18-06, 07:39 PM
  #75  
fruitless
In Transition
 
fruitless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: here and there
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
I'm looking forward to July so we can all finally move on from der kaiser's "talent".

"And lo, when the Jan passes by, there will be a mighty rumble, as though a thousand elephants were falling down a hill. And the sun will be blotted from the sky by the wings of a thousand ravens, and the hearts of men shall quail, and the hearts of women shall flutter (and then quail), and even the hearts of quail shall quail, and the souls of the weak shall be snuffed out like candles in the wailing wind that follows his passing. Then shall be the time of the Jan, when he rises from the earth and takes his two thrones, one for each thigh. And then the world shall weep."
__________________
"nem vem que nao tem"

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html
fruitless is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.