Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Another thing that is really bothering me about this landis thing

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Another thing that is really bothering me about this landis thing

Old 07-27-06, 06:59 PM
  #1  
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee
Thread Starter
 
Lithuania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mabra
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing that is really bothering me about this landis thing

Is how much media coverage it is getting in the US.

I mean last week I had to listen to a lot of sports columnists talking about how we dont care about cycling as a sport in the US.

When Landis actually won the tour you were lucky to hear a little blurb about it on a sports update on talk radio.

Now its the lead story on every update and everyone seems to want to talk about it.

For a country that doesnt care about this sport they sure like to talk about the dirty side of it.
Lithuania is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:28 PM
  #2  
Braveheart
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 52

Bikes: Bridgestone, Cannondale, Iron Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riskus
Is how much media coverage it is getting in the US.

I mean last week I had to listen to a lot of sports columnists talking about how we dont care about cycling as a sport in the US.

When Landis actually won the tour you were lucky to hear a little blurb about it on a sports update on talk radio.

Now its the lead story on every update and everyone seems to want to talk about it.

For a country that doesnt care about this sport they sure like to talk about the dirty side of it.

I agree. One of the most exciting TDFs I have seen with a monumental come from behind story and there was nary a peep. Today, however, full screen banners on MSNBC with headlines that clearly implied Landis was guilty of doping, even though the facts aren't all in yet. Not discounting the seriousness of the issue, but this was over the top on the part of the main stream media. Media love to spin any story that makes America or Americans look bad - seen it in the war in Iraq, seeing it now with Floyd. Get the allegations out first, maybe report facts later.
Braveheart is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:34 PM
  #3  
elladaddy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Braveheart
I agree. One of the most exciting TDFs I have seen with a monumental come from behind story and there was nary a peep. Today, however, full screen banners on MSNBC with headlines that clearly implied Landis was guilty of doping, even though the facts aren't all in yet. Not discounting the seriousness of the issue, but this was over the top on the part of the main stream media. Media love to spin any story that makes America or Americans look bad - seen it in the war in Iraq, seeing it now with Floyd. Get the allegations out first, maybe report facts later.
what bout basso and ullrich? that was reported. does the media "love to spin any story that makes
[europe] or [europeans] look bad..."?
elladaddy is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:37 PM
  #4  
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee
Thread Starter
 
Lithuania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mabra
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
american media barely said anything about jan and basso because no one cares about cycling
Lithuania is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:43 PM
  #5  
ed073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,411

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad news = good copy.

Always has.
ed073 is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:58 PM
  #6  
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Posts: 6,951

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ed073
Bad news = good copy.

Always has.
+1
__________________
aham23 is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 09:45 PM
  #7  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ed073
Bad news = good copy.

Always has.
Always will.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 11:56 PM
  #8  
SaintAndrew
Senior Member
 
SaintAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what pisses me off is an a-hole like lance could get away with it for 7 years strait but a cool guy like floyd couldn't even get his one day in the sun.
SaintAndrew is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 12:38 AM
  #9  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 8,926
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ed073
Bad news = good copy.

Always has.
Yeah. There is some sick fascination that people have with finding every single flaw in "heroes" (using the term in general) and watching them go down.
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 04:20 AM
  #10  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,638

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riskus
Is how much media coverage it is getting in the US.

I mean last week I had to listen to a lot of sports columnists talking about how we dont care about cycling as a sport in the US.

When Landis actually won the tour you were lucky to hear a little blurb about it on a sports update on talk radio.

Now its the lead story on every update and everyone seems to want to talk about it.

For a country that doesnt care about this sport they sure like to talk about the dirty side of it.
"I make my living off the evening news. Just give me something...something I can use. People love it when you lose, they love Dirty Laundry."

"Well, I coulda been an actor but I wound up here. I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear. Come and whisper in my ear, give us Dirty Laundry."

"We got the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five. She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die, give us Dirty Laundry."

"Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we love Dirty Laundry."

etc..

"Crap is king"...

Thanks to Don Henley for one of the greatest songs ever written.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 07-28-06 at 05:18 AM.
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 06:21 AM
  #11  
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Posts: 5,084

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Talk is cheap when the story's good." REO Speedwagon.
EventServices is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 07:40 AM
  #12  
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Posts: 5,445

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
"I make my living off the evening news. Just give me something...something I can use. People love it when you lose, they love Dirty Laundry."

"Well, I coulda been an actor but I wound up here. I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear. Come and whisper in my ear, give us Dirty Laundry."

"We got the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five. She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die, give us Dirty Laundry."

"Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we love Dirty Laundry."

etc..

"Crap is king"...

Thanks to Don Henley for one of the greatest songs ever written.
Yup, thats one of the good ones
jfmckenna is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 10:40 AM
  #13  
bikenutr2000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: nj
Posts: 88

Bikes: EVO, FUJI Track, etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintAndrew
what pisses me off is an a-hole like lance could get away with it for 7 years strait but a cool guy like floyd couldn't even get his one day in the sun.
I must thank you for comfirming my suspicions that the quality of posts on this board is slowly diminishing.
bikenutr2000 is offline  
Old 07-28-06, 10:46 AM
  #14  
Trevor98
Senior Member
 
Trevor98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stories are the filler between headlines.
Trevor98 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cpizanov
Mountain Biking
0
05-18-17 09:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.