Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

race rig porn - show me your bike!

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

race rig porn - show me your bike!

Old 02-23-07, 01:21 PM
  #51  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Training/backup race bike. Just off the trainer, so dismiss the hometainer tire on the back.


Race bike
you might want to fix the flats on both of those bikes.
botto is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:34 PM
  #52  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think it's the result of uneven pavement.
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:41 PM
  #53  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
It gets me from here to there.

__________________
Cypress is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:44 PM
  #54  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
It gets me from here to there.
from late may to early september when the snow isn't 3' high?
botto is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:44 PM
  #55  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
i think it's the result of uneven pavement.
all that money wasted on bikes and he can't even afford a proper driveway? doubt it.
botto is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:45 PM
  #56  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
from late may to early september when the snow isn't 3' high?

__________________
Cypress is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:48 PM
  #57  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
all that money wasted on bikes and he can't even afford a proper driveway? doubt it.
Wow, your IQ goes down as your post count goes up. Yes, it is the angle of the pic and about a 3/4" step down from the drive to the garage.

And I'd be willing to bet that both of those bikes have similar, if not less money in them than your TCR.
cslone is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:52 PM
  #58  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Wow, your IQ goes down as your post count goes up. Yes, it is the angle of the pic and about a 3/4" step down from the drive to the garage.

And I'd be willing to bet that both of those bikes have similar, if not less money in them than your TCR.
Someone's skin is as thin as their sense of humor is lacking.
botto is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:54 PM
  #59  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, because you have such a history of just taking jabs at people as opposed to just being an ass.
cslone is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 01:55 PM
  #60  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Right, because you have such a history of just taking jabs at people as opposed to just being an ass.
there's no point in taking "jabs" at you. it would be too easy.
botto is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 02:00 PM
  #61  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Insightful as always.
cslone is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 02:01 PM
  #62  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 02:41 PM
  #63  
djbowen1
Senior Member
 
djbowen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridley Excaliber, SRM, Zipp 303 for race wheels. Full record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1375.jpg (15.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1367.jpg (19.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1382.jpg (17.2 KB, 373 views)
djbowen1 is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 04:15 PM
  #64  
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 1,180

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Here is something that is completely irrational. I really love the way the Specialized SL's look. I think they are one of the best looking bikes on the market. However I doubt that I'd ever own one. Same thing with Giant. I guess it's because both of these company's used to be entry level and I've got this irrational bias.
+1....back in 80's my dad and I was in China and Taiwan so we visited Giant's factory.
in those days Giant was still kinda new (and no imports to Japan). So we bought some BMX's for us kids and some road bikes for my parents. (arrived in crates back home)....

Long story short, they make great bikes but I've seen where they come from (their history and their factories) so I don't think I'll be able to overcome this stereotype when choosing high end bikes (unless the discount is soooo big I can't refuse...maybe)
powerglide is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 04:56 PM
  #65  
platypus
Style-challenged
Thread Starter
 
platypus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 918

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
I thought this thread badly needed someone to inject a dose of realism -- ugly amateur porn, if you will.

I give you 25 pounds of unknown provenance lugged steel. 105 parts old enough to have the allen bolt in the front of the shifters, a Litespeed fork, the world's oldest Speedplay pedals, no-name front wheel, and dirty bar tape from when I dropped my chain on the bridge last night. Oh, it does have a new compact crankset and a Powertap Pro for pearls on the pig.

This should reassure a few people that you don't have to have a fancy bike to race. Notice I said nothing about winning..

pure function, no fashion. I love it. Racing's about speed, not the latest styles.

Apart from F1, most race cars are down right ugly when you get up close - but dang they're fast.
platypus is offline  
Old 02-23-07, 08:16 PM
  #66  
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,339

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 2010 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
I thought this thread badly needed someone to inject a dose of realism -- ugly amateur porn, if you will.

I give you 25 pounds of unknown provenance lugged steel. 105 parts old enough to have the allen bolt in the front of the shifters, a Litespeed fork, the world's oldest Speedplay pedals, no-name front wheel, and dirty bar tape from when I dropped my chain on the bridge last night. Oh, it does have a new compact crankset and a Powertap Pro for pearls on the pig.

This should reassure a few people that you don't have to have a fancy bike to race. Notice I said nothing about winning..

Hi,

I think your bike is great. I have always said it's the rider, not the bike.

I'm also known to say (because it applies to me), if you can't go fast, look fast. Fortunately, I can afford to look fast. Besides it makes the guys on lesser equipment feel better about themselves. I think of it as a public service to the racing community.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men still wear pink."
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Cleave is offline  
Old 02-24-07, 04:18 PM
  #67  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,905

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 195 Posts
The Giant in racing trim:


I know thewheels don't match. The Powertap wheel is newer with the dimpled rims and newer decals.

A set of Zipp 303 tubulars is on the way, which will match and will be the race day wheels at least for hilly races.

The TT race setup:


Last edited by merlinextraligh; 02-24-07 at 09:00 PM.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 02-24-07, 04:57 PM
  #68  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The Giant in racing trim:


I know thewheels don't match the Powertap wheel is newer with the dimpled rims and newer decals.
\]
finally a pic worthy of the bike!
botto is offline  
Old 02-24-07, 04:59 PM
  #69  
skinny
Senior Member
 
skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Here is something that is completely irrational. I really love the way the Specialized SL's look. I think they are one of the best looking bikes on the market. However I doubt that I'd ever own one. Same thing with Giant. I guess it's because both of these company's used to be entry level and I've got this irrational bias.
When the first Specialized frames came out, they were very high end. The Allez was a very nice racing frame built with the finest investment cast lugs and quality cromo tubing. They were so nice, it was speculated they were built by Yoshi Kono, of 3Rensho fame. The original Sequoia was also very nice, and is still one of the nicest touring frames ever built. All of Specialized original offerings were high end products targeted towards the enthusiast, and it wasn't until later, post-Stumpjumper, which was early 80's, they expanded into what might be considered entry level. But if the current Allez is entry level, well, entry level has changed dramatically in 20-odd years. I would not consider myself held back by my equipment if I was racing on a current properly set up Allez.
skinny is offline  
Old 02-24-07, 08:46 PM
  #70  
ronbridal
Senior Member
 
ronbridal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52cm Waterford R-33 with team paint job
Dura-Ace drivetrain
Ritchey WCS cockpit
AC 420 wheels



ronbridal is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 05:17 AM
  #71  
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Posts: 11,058

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skinny
When the first Specialized frames came out, they were very high end. The Allez was a very nice racing frame built with the finest investment cast lugs and quality cromo tubing. They were so nice, it was speculated they were built by Yoshi Kono, of 3Rensho fame. The original Sequoia was also very nice, and is still one of the nicest touring frames ever built. All of Specialized original offerings were high end products targeted towards the enthusiast, and it wasn't until later, post-Stumpjumper, which was early 80's, they expanded into what might be considered entry level. But if the current Allez is entry level, well, entry level has changed dramatically in 20-odd years. I would not consider myself held back by my equipment if I was racing on a current properly set up Allez.
I didn't get into cycling until the late 80's so I missed the first Specialized era. I agree with you that the current line of high end Specialized road bikes are great bikes, it's just that I have a irrational prejudice against them.
El Diablo Rojo is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 05:55 AM
  #72  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
I didn't get into cycling until the late 80's so I missed the first Specialized era. I agree with you that the current line of high end Specialized road bikes are great bikes, it's just that I have a irrational prejudice against them.
there's nothing irrational about having a sense of aesthetics.
botto is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 08:12 PM
  #73  
toshi
Lint Picker
 
toshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone

Race bike
Cool, how are you liking your team sl now that it's built up, cslone?
toshi is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 08:55 PM
  #74  
djbowen1
Senior Member
 
djbowen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
Training/backup race bike. Just off the trainer, so dismiss the hometainer tire on the back.


Race bike

Your powertap mount is on incorrectly on both of your bikes. it needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the round part is on the stem. Not sure what the issues would be with it setup like you have but it isnt worth risking losing the cpu.
djbowen1 is offline  
Old 02-26-07, 02:03 AM
  #75  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
Your powertap mount is on incorrectly on both of your bikes. it needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the round part is on the stem. Not sure what the issues would be with it setup like you have but it isnt worth risking losing the cpu.
It works fine, but thanks. I don't like the cpu on my bars.

Q: How can I mount the PowerTap harness on my stem?

A: You can do this by crossing the zip ties so that they exit one side of the mount but cross over and enter the other side. A cleaner method, however, is to tightly wrap electrical tape around the stem and the lower part of the mount, behind the ears. Be careful how much tape you use; too much will cause a poor fit between the harness and PT. With both methods its best to put a very small piece of pipe insulation under the harness to fill in the gaps.
cslone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.