Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How Awesome is Levi looking right now?

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How Awesome is Levi looking right now?

Old 04-20-07, 11:51 PM
  #1  
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Awesome is Levi looking right now?

I think the Basso signing has lit a fire under his butt that's been missing the last few years. Sure, he's got a stronger team now but I really haven't seen him in this kind of form, possibly ever. And you can't say his loss at last year's TOC was due to a weaker team - Floyd won it and Phonak was NOT a strong team. The only thing I wonder: will Discovery have the same problem that T-Mobile had where Ullrich and Kloden were basically competing against each other (with Vino off in his own world as well)?

Vino had said, "We have a clear agreement - the best man on the team is the captain" The problem was that meant they didn't support each other but competed against each other. The craziest thing to watch is the 2005 TDF when Kloden and Ullrich actually help the peloton chase down Vino!! A sad day for t-mobile. I wonder if Levi's going to feel like he could win the TDF and if he'll want to be the leader at the first sign of weakness by Basso?
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 06:16 AM
  #2  
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Posts: 13,149

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Bruyneel is a better strategist than Mario Kummer.
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 06:22 AM
  #3  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,149

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Bruyneel saw what happened last year. Riding for Hincapie one day, Savoldelli another, Popyvich on yet another. A team with no clear leader is not as likely to be successful.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 07:28 AM
  #4  
jrennie
Race to train
 
jrennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: suffering on the back
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much stronger as he gets older? I think Levi is just on a better training "program" now . I know I have seen some interviews where they build levi up as the early season stage racer, george for the classics(if he ever rides one this year) and basso for the grand tours
jrennie is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 07:34 AM
  #5  
Grasschopper
He drop me
 
Grasschopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '13 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well clearly they will ride for Basso at the Giro and with the Tour in doubt for him I think Disco is pretty happy where they sit at the moment...I mean who else is looking good this year? Who is CSC's tour man? You have Valverde and maybe one or two other guys but do they have the team to win it?

Levi has improved his TT and if he doesn't have a bad day in the TT like he did last year...and continues to climb like he is now...with the team as strong as they are IMO it will be a tough team to beat.
__________________
The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.
Grasschopper is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 08:17 AM
  #6  
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,844

Bikes: Ridley Fenix SL, Niner RLT-9 Steel, Diamond Back Haanjo Trail, Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
And Bruyneel saw what happened last year. Riding for Hincapie one day, Savoldelli another, Popyvich on yet another. A team with no clear leader is not as likely to be successful.
I'm sure Bruyneel knew they didn't have a chance at winning last year....probably viewed it more as a "training" year to see who had what when it came down to it.

As far as Levi goes....he's pretty good at shorter races, but let's see how things turn out at the end of 3 weeks, and several days in the mountains.

I'm pulling for Vino this year.
GuitarWizard is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 08:40 AM
  #7  
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
I'm sure Bruyneel knew they didn't have a chance at winning last year....probably viewed it more as a "training" year to see who had what when it came down to it.

As far as Levi goes....he's pretty good at shorter races, but let's see how things turn out at the end of 3 weeks, and several days in the mountains.

I'm pulling for Vino this year.

You mean Vino from BF is riding in Le Tour this year?
Snicklefritz is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 10:21 AM
  #8  
Stallionforce
Senior Member
 
Stallionforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He is on form, and the parallel to Landis of last year is striking. I think there still has to be a huge question mark surrounding this guy and 3 week tours. At least Disco must be feeling good in the unfortunate circumstance that Basso is not able to ride for the double.
Stallionforce is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 06:43 PM
  #9  
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,844

Bikes: Ridley Fenix SL, Niner RLT-9 Steel, Diamond Back Haanjo Trail, Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
You mean Vino from BF is riding in Le Tour this year?
No....
GuitarWizard is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 06:51 PM
  #10  
jrmohan
Senior Member
 
jrmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joking....right?
jrmohan is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 06:53 PM
  #11  
VT Biker
Senior Member
 
VT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,961

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see Levi and Basso out and out fight each other during the TdF. How awesome would that be to see Levi and Basso racing against each other, with Tommy D crying in the back of the Peloton wondering what happened in 12 months to make him a domestique.

Has anyone really shown anything this year besides Levi which indicates a potential tour champion. Quickstep is all about the Classics (well before Boonen started crapping his pants, literally). CSC is drug free, so count them out. Rasmussan maybe at Robobank? How is his TT ability this year? Liquigas is made up of all above average pros, but no knockouts.
VT Biker is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 10:26 PM
  #12  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
I would like to see Levi and Basso out and out fight each other during the TdF. How awesome would that be to see Levi and Basso racing against each other, with Tommy D crying in the back of the Peloton wondering what happened in 12 months to make him a domestique.

Has anyone really shown anything this year besides Levi which indicates a potential tour champion. Quickstep is all about the Classics (well before Boonen started crapping his pants, literally). CSC is drug free, so count them out. Rasmussan maybe at Robobank? How is his TT ability this year? Liquigas is made up of all above average pros, but no knockouts.
Hey VT, been meaning to say this for a while. I love that little saying below your "VT Biker" line.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 10:54 PM
  #13  
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Hey VT, been meaning to say this for a while. I love that little saying below your "VT Biker" line.
I think he has the lowest rest HR of anyone who has set foot in the White House (it got down
to zero a couple of times)
Snicklefritz is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 11:07 PM
  #14  
gm1230126
barnfullagts
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 622

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
I think the Basso signing has lit a fire under his butt that's been missing the last few years. Sure, he's got a stronger team now but I really haven't seen him in this kind of form, possibly ever. And you can't say his loss at last year's TOC was due to a weaker team - Floyd won it and Phonak was NOT a strong team. The only thing I wonder: will Discovery have the same problem that T-Mobile had where Ullrich and Kloden were basically competing against each other (with Vino off in his own world as well)?

Vino had said, "We have a clear agreement - the best man on the team is the captain" The problem was that meant they didn't support each other but competed against each other. The craziest thing to watch is the 2005 TDF when Kloden and Ullrich actually help the peloton chase down Vino!! A sad day for t-mobile. I wonder if Levi's going to feel like he could win the TDF and if he'll want to be the leader at the first sign of weakness by Basso?
In case you missed it TdF director Christian Prudhomme has already announced that any and all riders originally associated with the Operation Puerto will not be starting the 2007 TdF unless something becomes finalized in the investigation before the start of this yrs. tour. At the pace the officials/parties involved are moving, many of us will have a lot more gray hair before anything is ever made final in this investigation.

Read this: http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/12087.0.html

Quote: "Prudhomme said he hoped the team managers concerned, including Discovery Channel's Johan Bruyneel, would "do what is right for the good of the sport."

"We will only get to the end of this if we all work in unison," added the Frenchman, who said wants to work closely with the UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency to get to the bottom of Operación Puerto. "We have outlined to Johan Bruyneel what seems to us the right path to take."

Go Levi!
gm1230126 is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 11:13 PM
  #15  
dmotoguy
Edificating
 
dmotoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,452

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Hey VT, been meaning to say this for a while. I love that little saying below your "VT Biker" line.
I've been waiting to call him a ******bag for a while.. vt that is.

I've met Dick Chaney a few times, he is a very nice man, and a decent vice-president. Many people dont really understand what is going on in life, vt being one of them.
__________________
Cat 3 // Dylan M Howell
dmotoguy is offline  
Old 04-21-07, 11:18 PM
  #16  
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gm1230126
Quote: "Prudhomme said he hoped the team managers concerned, including Discovery Channel's Johan Bruyneel, would "do what is right for the good of the sport."
Read that quote again. It means: "Sigh. I know Basso's going to ride in this race but I really WISH that he wouldn't." I mean, c'mon, "do what is right?" He's BEGGING Bruny not to use Basso, NOT telling him. He has no power to keep Basso out since the investigators dropped the case against him.
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-22-07, 12:00 AM
  #17  
skinny
Senior Member
 
skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Awesome is Levi looking right now?

He's looking like a guy that's not riding against Valverde, Basso, Vinokurov, Kloden, Totschnig, Rasmussen, Mercado, Sastre, not to mention the riders who have gone away like Botero, Ullrich, Sevilla, and Mancebo. In other words, he's beating the people he's supposed to beat.
skinny is offline  
Old 04-22-07, 12:18 AM
  #18  
bvfrompc
Senior Member
 
bvfrompc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
he is a very nice man, and a decent vice-president.
funniest thing ive read on here in a long time,
bvfrompc is offline  
Old 04-22-07, 07:14 AM
  #19  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
I've been waiting to call him a ******bag for a while.. vt that is.

I've met Dick Chaney a few times, he is a very nice man, and a decent vice-president. Many people dont really understand what is going on in life, vt being one of them.
I briefed him one time (when he was a Congressman from Wyoming) for an hour and a half on North Korean military capabilities. He didn't have much to say during the brief. Afterward the Air Force General (the only other guy in the room due to security clearances) mentioned that, like Cheney, I was from Wyoming. Cheney kinda grunted. I thought surely he would say something about meeting a constituent half way around the world, but he did not. I'll be gnereous, maybe he was jet lagged. I'll not comment on whatI thnk of him now. As a retired military officer I am still subject to the Uniform Code of Mlitary Justice and saying what I really think could come back to bite me in the a**.

Now back on topic - I agree with stallion, it will be interesting to see if Levi can hold that form up to and through a GT. I for one hope he can and does.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 04-22-07, 09:13 AM
  #20  
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
I briefed him one time (when he was a Congressman from Wyoming) for an hour and a half on North Korean military capabilities. He didn't have much to say during the brief. Afterward the Air Force General (the only other guy in the room due to security clearances) mentioned that, like Cheney, I was from Wyoming. Cheney kinda grunted. I thought surely he would say something about meeting a constituent half way around the world, but he did not. I'll be gnereous, maybe he was jet lagged. I'll not comment on whatI thnk of him now. As a retired military officer I am still subject to the Uniform Code of Mlitary Justice and saying what I really think could come back to bite me in the a**.

Now back on topic - I agree with stallion, it will be interesting to see if Levi can hold that form up to and through a GT. I for one hope he can and does.
While I hate off-topic tangents in threads, thanks for that story! It's really interesting to hear. (Did you see Stephen Colbert's roast of Bush by any chance? I thought the comment on the generals and Rhumsfeld was hilarious)

As for Levi, I'd love to see him win the TDF, but there's no way Bruyneel's letting him do that over Basso. But maybe we'll get to see an Hinault-Lemond type race, that was pretty exciting!
donrhummy is offline  
Old 04-22-07, 09:20 AM
  #21  
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,844

Bikes: Ridley Fenix SL, Niner RLT-9 Steel, Diamond Back Haanjo Trail, Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Vino's not riding the Tour this year? I must've missed something.....dammit.

Now there's like nobody left that's interesting to watch.
GuitarWizard is offline  
Old 04-23-07, 11:05 PM
  #22  
kubla khan
mostly harmless
 
kubla khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 333

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Levi is on something... disco is just better at covering their tracks/bribing people.
kubla khan is offline  
Old 04-23-07, 11:46 PM
  #23  
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Springs, CO
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
o Vino's not riding the Tour this year? I must've missed something.....dammit.
why no vino? he was never implicated in puerto (just the rest of his team). He damn well better be there
VosBike is offline  
Old 04-24-07, 12:47 PM
  #24  
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,840
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinny
How Awesome is Levi looking right now?

He's looking like a guy that's not riding against Valverde, Basso, Vinokurov, Kloden, Totschnig, Rasmussen, Mercado, Sastre, not to mention the riders who have gone away like Botero, Ullrich, Sevilla, and Mancebo. In other words, he's beating the people he's supposed to beat.
...and that pretty much sums it up. Levi winning the TdF is crazy talk, on the same level as in 2006 when folks were pumping Hincapie as a potential winner, no disrespect intended to either Levi or Hincapie, but they simply are not GT contenders.

As for the politicos trading barbs here, please take that stuff elsewhere, maybe to a forum not titled "road bike racing." RockyMtnMerlin, that's a really neat story and must have been a cool experience.
MDcatV is offline  
Old 04-24-07, 01:01 PM
  #25  
VT Biker
Senior Member
 
VT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,961

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - a real nice man. Nice men drum up intelligence and get us into a quagmire where soldiers die and our treasury is depleted, all while making us MORE AT RISK OF A TERRORIST ATTACK!!!. Nice men also give the green light to out a CIA agent, allow to be influenced by their son-in-law, who represents the Chemical Industry to continue to stonewall better security for our nations Chemical plants. Oh - Nice man also lie to the American people about Iraq and its involvement in 9/11, as well as how much the war will cost, and the outcome of the war (which there was a constant flow of evidence from the CIA, State Department of other intelligence Agencies to the contrary that we would NOT be greeted as liberators).

Should we also go into the cronies they hired to oversee the initial Iraq reconstruction? Rather than hire competent people, they hired cronies from the CATO institute and other Repub think tanks who HAD NO EXPERIENCE IN RECONSTRUCTION AND OVERSEEING SUCH PROJECTS. But they were loyal little Repubs, so Cheney and Bush approved their hiring. Cheny approved the hiring of Bernard Keirik, to train the Iraq police force. The Washington Post last year highlighted the fact that Keirik met ONLY TWICE in an entire year to discuss the training progress. They KNEW at the time about the mob ties, but they decided for political reasons it would be good PR to hire someone who the public perceived as being a successful 9/11 operative. Had they hired someone who was competent, maybe so many of our young men would not be dying!!!! And what did Cheny and Gonzalez do with Keirik, after already knowing all of this? They tried to promote him to head of Homeland Security.


Dmotoguy: I think you are the one who is mis-informed. Are you defending all of the above, which are just the tip of the ice-berg.

What about the insurgency is in its last throws comment to Tim Russert on Meet-The-Press? Or do you defend lies to the American people? If Dick Cheney is a nice guy, I would hate to see what it would take for someone to be labeled a jerk.

I think you are probably a Republican, watch Faux News, and really have the most basic understanding of this administration. But because he is a Repub, you cannot find fault with a Republican.
VT Biker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.