Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Shelled (but not dropped) at the "Weekly World's"

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Shelled (but not dropped) at the "Weekly World's"

Old 05-28-07, 02:11 PM
  #1  
KendallF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shelled (but not dropped) at the "Weekly World's"

Did anybody else read that article in Bicycling mag this month? It was interesting as the author travels around the country, participating in the various rides that have a reputation for being hammerfests and race training.

We had our version today in Jacksonville and I thought I'd share my pain..or relive it. Any stories of your local equivalent would be cool, so I know which rides to avoid when I travel, at a minimum!

There were perhaps 100 people at the FCCJ Kent campus for the start of today's ride. Pretty much everyone I know who's a bike racer in town was there, including past and current state road race and time trial champions.

After about 10 miles of winding out of town, it was on like Donkey Kong. The pace cranked up to ridiculous levels, and stayed there. Highlighting random blocks of the Powertap download, I see one 45 minute block where we averaged 26.3 mph, and I was putting out 232 watts average to do it..in the pack. We averaged nearly 25 mph for two hours. Yes, before anybody asks..it's flat here.

I am proud to say that I came back into the parking lot with the last 15 or so survivors. I didn't pull much; I was just gasping and trying to survive. I nearly went out the back once and another local triathlete traded pulls with me to get us back in the group. The pace in the group wasn't so bad, it was the accelerations. You'd come around a corner, talking to somebody for a sec..then look up and everybody's standing up, sprinting at 30+ mph and you've got a hundred yard gap that takes 10 minutes of gasping time trialing to make back up.

Anyway, it was a good ride, and I'm cooked now.

For any fellow geeks who think this is fun, some numbers from CyclingPeaks:

Peak 60min (226 watts):
Duration: 1:00:04
Work: 814 kJ
TSS: 110.8 (intensity factor 1.052)
Norm Power: 252
VI: 1.12
Distance: 25.609 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 715 226 watts
Heart Rate: n/a n/a n/a bpm
Cadence: 29 141 99 rpm
Speed: 14.3 31.6 25.6 mph
Pace 1:54 4:12 2:21 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 258 66 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 1058 196 lb-in
KendallF is offline  
Old 05-28-07, 02:12 PM
  #2  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KendallF
Did anybody else read that article in Bicycling mag this month? It was interesting as the author travels around the country, participating in the various rides that have a reputation for being hammerfests and race training.

We had our version today in Jacksonville and I thought I'd share my pain..or relive it. Any stories of your local equivalent would be cool, so I know which rides to avoid when I travel, at a minimum!

There were perhaps 100 people at the FCCJ Kent campus for the start of today's ride. Pretty much everyone I know who's a bike racer in town was there, including past and current state road race and time trial champions.

After about 10 miles of winding out of town, it was on like Donkey Kong. The pace cranked up to ridiculous levels, and stayed there. Highlighting random blocks of the Powertap download, I see one 45 minute block where we averaged 26.3 mph, and I was putting out 232 watts average to do it..in the pack. We averaged nearly 25 mph for two hours. Yes, before anybody asks..it's flat here.

I am proud to say that I came back into the parking lot with the last 15 or so survivors. I didn't pull much; I was just gasping and trying to survive. I nearly went out the back once and another local triathlete traded pulls with me to get us back in the group. The pace in the group wasn't so bad, it was the accelerations. You'd come around a corner, talking to somebody for a sec..then look up and everybody's standing up, sprinting at 30+ mph and you've got a hundred yard gap that takes 10 minutes of gasping time trialing to make back up.

Anyway, it was a good ride, and I'm cooked now.

For any fellow geeks who think this is fun, some numbers from CyclingPeaks:

Peak 60min (226 watts):
Duration: 1:00:04
Work: 814 kJ
TSS: 110.8 (intensity factor 1.052)
Norm Power: 252
VI: 1.12
Distance: 25.609 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 715 226 watts
Heart Rate: n/a n/a n/a bpm
Cadence: 29 141 99 rpm
Speed: 14.3 31.6 25.6 mph
Pace 1:54 4:12 2:21 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 258 66 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 1058 196 lb-in
nope. how about cutting and pasting it here, so we can read it.
botto is offline  
Old 05-28-07, 02:13 PM
  #3  
KendallF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
nope. how about cutting and pasting it here, so we can read it.
yeah, I'm ready for another round from the IP lawyers, how 'bout you?
KendallF is offline  
Old 05-28-07, 02:17 PM
  #4  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KendallF
yeah, I'm ready for another round from the IP lawyers, how 'bout you?
believe me when i type this: IP is not easy to protect. i say: GO FOR IT.

- someone who's lost a chunk of change after having their IP stolen.
botto is offline  
Old 05-28-07, 03:52 PM
  #5  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
believe me when i type this: IP is not easy to protect. i say: GO FOR IT.

- someone who's lost a chunk of change after having their IP stolen.
What can possibly be "intellectual" about anything in Bicycling?
mollusk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.