"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Thursday Evening Shelling

Old 05-31-07, 06:20 PM
  #1  
mollusk
Elite Fred
Thread Starter
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thursday Evening Shelling

Bdcheung posted earlier about his shelling last Thursday, so I will continue the tradition of posting about a Thursday shelling.

Down in Gainesville, FL we have an (in)famous Tuesday/Thursday ride called the Hipp Ride. It has been around for a LONG time and it is a "take no prisoners" type of hammerfest. Even though I have lived in Gainesville since 1982 I have never participated in a Hipp Ride before last Thursday. Actually, I never would have ridden that on if it wasn't for the encouragement of some guys that I rode with a couple of times last year.

Last Thursday I showed up and rode and had a blast. The pace was fast (we settled into a 27 to 28 mph pace), but very even. I "sat in" for a good bit and was quite comfortable. I got dropped mid-ride when there was some weirdness in a turn across a divided four-lane highway (long story short: a guy almost got plastered by a car he didn't see until the last second - he makes a sudden maneuver into my line - I go really wide and miss the turn - wave goodbye to the group after turning myself inside-out trying to latch back on). I'm feeling good. I think that I can "hang" on this ride. To quote Botto, "Incorrect".

Tonight I show up for Hipp Ride Part 2. Being the noob, I feel that it is my place to hang at the back and not to interfere with the normal ride. Everything is cool rolling out of town and I settle into the very back of the pack.

When we hit the bridge on Hawthorne Road that is the signal to pick up the pace. I notice right away that the pace is much faster than last time. Instead of 27 to 28 mph we are going about 30 mph. There are a couple of turns before settling into the seven mile stretch of what old timers around here call Angle Road. Very quickly the pace gets very high and the group (about 25 riders) is single file. The difference is that there is a small motorcycle at the front that is being used for motorpacing. I am totally screwed! As riders "crack" in front of me I have to get around them and sprint back on to the line. I checked my cyclometer during this and saw that I had to sprint to 36.5 mph to latch back on to a rider that was on the verge of cracking. When I was able to latch on and "recover" for a moment or two the pace was over 30 mph. Then it accelerated.

After doing this about three or four times I was "cooked" and fell of the back to recover. I was totally shelled. I took the pace down to about 21 mph and was actually recovering and catching other riders spewed out the back. Funny thing was none of them wanted to pick up the pace.

After a few miles I caught up to some guys that I know and we made a three man groupetto and we worked ourselves back to town.

That was total humiliation.

I'll be back next week.
mollusk is offline  
Old 05-31-07, 08:12 PM
  #2  
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Posts: 1,090

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a crapload of fun.

I hope to find a group like that around here, but no lock yet.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline  
Old 05-31-07, 08:22 PM
  #3  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,393

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In cycling, 'shell' is actually short for 'shelacking' which is like getting your head handed to you on a platter.



I can categorically state that nobody here is a greater authority on this experience than Pcad.
patentcad is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 04:10 AM
  #4  
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,150

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never fun for the guys in the back when a moped shows up. Those in the first 5 positions will be okay, but the gaps will be forming everywhere and almost impossible for the noobs to close. keep heading out, it'll feel easier each week, as experience has a way of doing that.
YMCA is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 05:54 AM
  #5  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,839

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah-ha! You were on the ride (I sent the PM before checking the forums).

OK, I didn't know who to look for. I was the guy in the GCC jersey who cracked about a mile shy of 441. I still managed to eek out a high 22 pace by the time I came back to the Bambi even though the last 10 miles were solo.

I won't be there next Thursday b/c I'll be resting for the race sunday, but I'll be there two weeks from now.

And yes, that's the fastest I've ever gone down Angle road.

Ken

Originally Posted by mollusk
Bdcheung posted earlier about his shelling last Thursday, so I will continue the tradition of posting about a Thursday shelling.

Down in Gainesville, FL we have an (in)famous Tuesday/Thursday ride called the Hipp Ride. It has been around for a LONG time and it is a "take no prisoners" type of hammerfest. Even though I have lived in Gainesville since 1982 I have never participated in a Hipp Ride before last Thursday. Actually, I never would have ridden that on if it wasn't for the encouragement of some guys that I rode with a couple of times last year.

Last Thursday I showed up and rode and had a blast. The pace was fast (we settled into a 27 to 28 mph pace), but very even. I "sat in" for a good bit and was quite comfortable. I got dropped mid-ride when there was some weirdness in a turn across a divided four-lane highway (long story short: a guy almost got plastered by a car he didn't see until the last second - he makes a sudden maneuver into my line - I go really wide and miss the turn - wave goodbye to the group after turning myself inside-out trying to latch back on). I'm feeling good. I think that I can "hang" on this ride. To quote Botto, "Incorrect".

Tonight I show up for Hipp Ride Part 2. Being the noob, I feel that it is my place to hang at the back and not to interfere with the normal ride. Everything is cool rolling out of town and I settle into the very back of the pack.

When we hit the bridge on Hawthorne Road that is the signal to pick up the pace. I notice right away that the pace is much faster than last time. Instead of 27 to 28 mph we are going about 30 mph. There are a couple of turns before settling into the seven mile stretch of what old timers around here call Angle Road. Very quickly the pace gets very high and the group (about 25 riders) is single file. The difference is that there is a small motorcycle at the front that is being used for motorpacing. I am totally screwed! As riders "crack" in front of me I have to get around them and sprint back on to the line. I checked my cyclometer during this and saw that I had to sprint to 36.5 mph to latch back on to a rider that was on the verge of cracking. When I was able to latch on and "recover" for a moment or two the pace was over 30 mph. Then it accelerated.

After doing this about three or four times I was "cooked" and fell of the back to recover. I was totally shelled. I took the pace down to about 21 mph and was actually recovering and catching other riders spewed out the back. Funny thing was none of them wanted to pick up the pace.

After a few miles I caught up to some guys that I know and we made a three man groupetto and we worked ourselves back to town.

That was total humiliation.

I'll be back next week.
kensuf is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 06:19 AM
  #6  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,130

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a cool ride. You'll continue to do better each time. Good push!
waterrockets is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 06:30 AM
  #7  
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 6,289

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the HIPP Ride?!

Oh come on now....I've gotta be there for this one.

Wait a minute, 30 mph?
Maybe if I'm in your support car with fresh water bottles for you.
Hipcycler is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 07:09 AM
  #8  
mollusk
Elite Fred
Thread Starter
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
the HIPP Ride?!

Oh come on now....I've gotta be there for this one.

Wait a minute, 30 mph?
Maybe if I'm in your support car with fresh water bottles for you.
Only if we can make some of those 60 second bottle hand offs. You've got to make sure that you have a good grip.

BTW, I will be in the midwest at the end of June. There is a chance that I'll have my bike with me. There is also a chance I might be going through Milwaukee. The odds are slim for a bike ride hookup, but you never know.
mollusk is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 07:14 AM
  #9  
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 6,289

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Only if we can make some of those 60 second bottle hand offs. You've got to make sure that you have a good grip.

BTW, I will be in the midwest at the end of June. There is a chance that I'll have my bike with me. There is also a chance I might be going through Milwaukee. The odds are slim for a bike ride hookup, but you never know.
OK.

How end of June?

We leave for Santa Barbara and a family wedding on Friday, June 29th.
Hipcycler is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 08:19 AM
  #10  
jamiewilson3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft Mill, SC
Posts: 1,170

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did fine on the ride. The yo-yo effect on the back of the pack always makes the ride more difficult. I just moved and I am showing up for group rides in a new area. I sit in on the back as much as possible to avoid interefering and learn the roads better (holes, etc).

Riding the back is much harder for all of the reasons you listed above, but it is a great workout, as you experienced. If you get too tired, try and move up at a point where drafting isnt as crucial and take a breather - hills, stops, etc. At the very least, rest assured that it will help your fitness.
jamiewilson3 is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 08:31 AM
  #11  
mollusk
Elite Fred
Thread Starter
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
OK.

How end of June?

We leave for Santa Barbara and a family wedding on Friday, June 29th.
I'm arriving at Chicago Midway on June 23rd and leaving June 30th. I have a sister in Chicago and my Dad and younger sister are in Champaign and all of these are "must see". I have a sister-in-law in Shorewood and relatives north of Green Bay and there is a chance that I'll see them. If I do I'll be passing through Milwaukee. Lots of stars have to align for a ride to happen, though. I also will be travelling with my 11 year old son and that complicates matters. Perhaps I will only get to listen to your show.
mollusk is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 09:01 AM
  #12  
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 6,289

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I'm arriving at Chicago Midway on June 23rd and leaving June 30th. I have a sister in Chicago and my Dad and younger sister are in Champaign and all of these are "must see". I have a sister-in-law in Shorewood and relatives north of Green Bay and there is a chance that I'll see them. If I do I'll be passing through Milwaukee. Lots of stars have to align for a ride to happen, though. I also will be travelling with my 11 year old son and that complicates matters. Perhaps I will only get to listen to your show.
SHOREWOOD?!

Hey, the radio station is right there.
Ride or not, my LBS is there too.

If you make it in, let me know and I'd be glad to give you a tour of the station and my LBS that afternoon before I go on the air at 3:00. Bring your son along.

And/or...

IF a ride were possible, I'm available every morning....and I do have another bike that you could use, my Trek 7500, tricked up like a road bike, is always ready to go. (I'm not sure of the size, but I'm 6'-1")...LOOK pedals.

Let me know....
Hipcycler is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 10:51 AM
  #13  
mollusk
Elite Fred
Thread Starter
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
SHOREWOOD?!

Hey, the radio station is right there.
Ride or not, my LBS is there too.

If you make it in, let me know and I'd be glad to give you a tour of the station and my LBS that afternoon before I go on the air at 3:00. Bring your son along.

And/or...

IF a ride were possible, I'm available every morning....and I do have another bike that you could use, my Trek 7500, tricked up like a road bike, is always ready to go. (I'm not sure of the size, but I'm 6'-1")...LOOK pedals.

Let me know....
Cool!

I'll let you know. I'm 6'2" and ride with Look delta cleats so even if the bike doesn't get to go on vacation it might just work out.
mollusk is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 10:59 AM
  #14  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 37,725

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have some rides like that here. Always good fun.
caloso is online now  
Old 06-01-07, 12:25 PM
  #15  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,839

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamiewilson3
You did fine on the ride. The yo-yo effect on the back of the pack always makes the ride more difficult. I just moved and I am showing up for group rides in a new area. I sit in on the back as much as possible to avoid interefering and learn the roads better (holes, etc).

Riding the back is much harder for all of the reasons you listed above, but it is a great workout, as you experienced. If you get too tired, try and move up at a point where drafting isnt as crucial and take a breather - hills, stops, etc. At the very least, rest assured that it will help your fitness.
Which guy were you?

BTW, I figured this would be an appropriate thread to post this.. From: http://www.dirtrag.com/print/article...egory=web-only

DR: What about road riding, what's the bests bet locally for an epic road ride?

AD: The Gainesville Cycling Club (400 strong) puts on The Horse Farm 100 every September which is the cream of the crop. A beautiful tour that is very well done and capped at 700 riders. If you like to go fast though there's a Tues/Thur ride called The Hip ride (short for The Hippodrome State Theater where they meet at 6:00pm) that will crush your spirit and torture your sole.

There's even a story behind it. Legend has it, and this is weird, that in the early '80s John Harlen, then a budding pro who could never seem to be beat, had a dog that he loved more than any thing else in the world. That dog would get the paper, lick his feet, protect his house and swim in his pool. A beautiful creature. One day John was riding home from a long day at the local shop when he noticed his gate was a little open. To his great relief he saw his dog excitedly running toward his master down the street—only to be run over by a truck that didn't even notice him.

John was torn apart. So much so that he did the only thing he could do. He rode. 20, 30, 45 mph—his anger turned to rage. The rage fueled his legs until he had no thoughts, only emotion. He rode so fast and so far that his tires were completely shredded his rims wore through, and he came to a skidding halt in front if the Hippodrome State Theater. His rage turned to agony and he wept tears of blood. Those tears burned holes in the road. And at those holes, to this day, are where the fastest of the fast meet to try and honor and do justice to that great ride. So be prepared. John still rides the rides. And puts new roadies to bed with a pacifier on a regular basis.

The fish gets a little bigger every time doesn't it?
kensuf is offline  
Old 06-01-07, 12:41 PM
  #16  
obra3
Little Pony
 
obra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
John was torn apart. So much so that he did the only thing he could do. He rode. 20, 30, 45 mph—his anger turned to rage. The rage fueled his legs until he had no thoughts, only emotion. He rode so fast and so far that his tires were completely shredded his rims wore through, and he came to a skidding halt in front if the Hippodrome State Theater. His rage turned to agony and he wept tears of blood. Those tears burned holes in the road. And at those holes, to this day, are where the fastest of the fast meet to try and honor and do justice to that great ride. So be prepared. John still rides the rides. And puts new roadies to bed with a pacifier on a regular basis.


Motopacing = good fun times.
obra3 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.