"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Race wheels vs everyday wheels

Old 07-28-07, 09:31 PM
  #1  
cat4ever
Cat WTF
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race wheels vs everyday wheels

Is there any reason to not train with carbon "race" wheels? Just looking for opinions here as to why you do or do not train on carbon wheels. I've been riding more and more with my HED Alps front wheel because the wheel I use for training makes a heck of a lot of creaking noise. Plus, I'm going to buy a Powertap'ed Zipp 808 for my TT bike and that would be used on the trainer this winter and in training every time I ride the TT bike.

Opinions?
cat4ever is offline  
Old 07-28-07, 09:33 PM
  #2  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,393

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you would simply race every day this wouldn't be a problem now would it?
patentcad is offline  
Old 07-28-07, 09:40 PM
  #3  
cat4ever
Cat WTF
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DNF's hurt my training.
cat4ever is offline  
Old 07-28-07, 10:06 PM
  #4  
jrennie
Race to train
 
jrennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: suffering on the back
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't train on a "race" carbon is if its a tubular or really bad roads to risk destroying it due to a stupid pothole.
jrennie is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 05:14 AM
  #5  
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,840
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont use race wheels everyday for a few reasons:

1 - normal wear and tear on expensive Zipp 303s vs. wear and tear on inexpensive Campy Scirroccos
2 - tires. I have Mich PR 2s on the Zipps vs. a heavier and more flat resistant Mich K on the Scirroccos. Also, lots of flats are caused by stuff you picked up on your tire during previous rides, which works its way through the tire over time and causes punctures. By only using race wheels for races, this at least mitigates this issue somewhat.
3 - damage. During training, if I'm going to hit a rock, pothole, car, dog, fred, whatever, I'd rather do it on inexpensive wheels than the good ones.

I also dont use the 303s for "training" races for the same reasons.
MDcatV is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 05:28 AM
  #6  
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.
 
ElJamoquio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 9,711

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion SL, Cervelo P2SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
I dont use race wheels everyday for a few reasons:

1 - normal wear and tear on expensive Zipp 303s vs. wear and tear on inexpensive Campy Scirroccos
2 - tires. I have Mich PR 2s on the Zipps vs. a heavier and more flat resistant Mich K on the Scirroccos. Also, lots of flats are caused by stuff you picked up on your tire during previous rides, which works its way through the tire over time and causes punctures. By only using race wheels for races, this at least mitigates this issue somewhat.
3 - damage. During training, if I'm going to hit a rock, pothole, car, dog, fred, whatever, I'd rather do it on inexpensive wheels than the good ones.

I also dont use the 303s for "training" races for the same reasons.
+1.

Well, that, and I don't yet own race wheels.
__________________
"The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die."
-Steve Prefontaine
ElJamoquio is online now  
Old 07-29-07, 06:21 AM
  #7  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,130

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the pros don't train on race wheels. It's a nice mental edge on race day, even if it's just a minor performance edge.

I, on the other hand, only have training wheels -- and race on them
waterrockets is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 09:26 AM
  #8  
ReedZ
Senior Member
 
ReedZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 259

Bikes: 2006 BMC Pro Machine - SLC01 (07 Record), 2007 BMC Team Machine -SLT01 (07 Chorus), Reynolds Tubular Wheelsets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your consideration;

I've often wondered if people actually practiced (read:trained) on the equipment that raced perhaps the amateur peloton wouldn't be quite as skittish as often reported here. How can one really get the greatest effort out of equipment you aren't familiar with?

My point of reference comes from my being a musician. I would never have been successful at if I only used my best instruments (WAY more expensive than bike swag, btw and even more sensitive) for concerts only.

I'm interested in reading your points-of-view.

Last edited by ReedZ; 07-29-07 at 09:35 AM.
ReedZ is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 09:37 AM
  #9  
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 4,850

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a Zipp 404 clincher front wheel yesterday when I flatted at SuperWeek. I didn't noticed any difference in handling, but did notice the increase air pressure as compared to my normal front. It was fine in terms of whipping the front wheel over; the rim depth and stiffness weren't a problem.

It didn't cause any in-race handling problems due to not being familiar with that particular wheel, as opposed to my Ksyrium front.
Duke of Kent is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 09:51 AM
  #10  
unbelievably
Senior Member
 
unbelievably's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under the Thumb
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyday is race day,no?
unbelievably is offline  
Old 07-29-07, 09:58 AM
  #11  
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 4,850

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unbelievably View Post
Everyday is race day,no?

Many a philosopher would have a field day with that one; yes.
Duke of Kent is offline  
Old 07-30-07, 08:27 AM
  #12  
KendallF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding some clincher race wheels (Hed Alps front, Zipp 404 Clyde rear w/Powertap) quite a bit in training. I actually have some junk (read: tougher and more flat-resistant) tires on them right now and have a set of Conti race tires waiting for the next time trial. I raced on them yesterday in a triathlon in Clermont, where the roads are hilly and badly paved, and left the tough tires on. I'd rather not flat than worry about 10 seconds lost to rolling resistance.

Edit: they've held up just fine and I figure I might as well get some use out of 'em; I don't race every weekend like some.
KendallF is offline  
Old 07-30-07, 08:30 AM
  #13  
brianappleby
Senior Member?
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,975

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you can afford it, go for it.
brianappleby is offline  
Old 07-30-07, 08:36 AM
  #14  
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Posts: 2,069

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Yeah, the pros don't train on race wheels. It's a nice mental edge on race day, even if it's just a minor performance edge.

I, on the other hand, only have training wheels -- and race on them
You an me both brother! You'd be surprised how well a set of Nuevation M28Aeros hold up in a tecnical crit with the right race tires on them (GP Supersonics).

All things being equal, I'd love to have a set of Zipp 404 wheels. However at this point in my life, it's more of a benifit to me to train the human engine to max potential and spend real money on my Ducati.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline  
Old 07-30-07, 09:31 PM
  #15  
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge
 
simplyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,993

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cosmic Carbone SSC SL = training @ 1800 grms. Bombproof - essentially an OP rim with an aero faring. Teach yourself to handle crosswinds. ******** heavy for the money
Not many people will pay for weight, but then again - not many people will ride 60 miles in the winter.

Cosmic Ultimates = racing @ 1185 grms. SWEET!

My $0.02
simplyred is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 06:34 AM
  #16  
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba
 
smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Eight Miles High
Posts: 1,361

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF View Post
I have been riding some clincher race wheels (Hed Alps front, Zipp 404 Clyde rear w/Powertap) quite a bit in training. I actually have some junk (read: tougher and more flat-resistant) tires on them right now and have a set of Conti race tires waiting for the next time trial. I raced on them yesterday in a triathlon in Clermont, where the roads are hilly and badly paved, and left the tough tires on. I'd rather not flat than worry about 10 seconds lost to rolling resistance.

Edit: they've held up just fine and I figure I might as well get some use out of 'em; I don't race every weekend like some.
time to resurrect this thread. i'm going through the same thought processes right now. i'm thinking of buying a pair of zipp 404s with a new powertap wireless hub that will talk to a garmin 705. they would be put on a bike that has one set of wheels, a pair of mike garcia niobiums with a wired powertap built in. problem is, due to travel for work, i don't race very much. this summer i only got in five races. so it seems pretty dumb to buy an expensive pair of wheels just to ride 'em 5 times a year. i could cut costs by not putting the powertap into the zipps. i wouldn't have power data for 5 races. so what? or i could go with the full zipp plan and just sell the niobiums. why save the zipps for only five days? why not ride 'em all the time? get my money's worth. maybe put on heavy-duty tires and switch to lighter race tires for those 5 days

recommendations? thoughts? ideas? suggestions? anyone? bueller?
__________________
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
smoke is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 08:23 AM
  #17  
ericm979
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not racing much, why do you need the expensive aero rims?
ericm979 is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 08:29 AM
  #18  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
I dont use race wheels everyday for a few reasons:


2 - tires. I have Mich PR 2s on the Zipps vs. a heavier and more flat resistant Mich K on the Scirroccos. Also, lots of flats are caused by stuff you picked up on your tire during previous rides, which works its way through the tire over time and causes punctures. By only using race wheels for races, this at least mitigates this issue somewhat.
+1 Tires are the #1 reason it is nice to have two sets of wheels, even if the wheels aren't that differrent.
cmh is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 09:43 AM
  #19  
cat4ever
Cat WTF
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, old thread. I'll answer my own question. I train on the 808 and Alps every time I take out the time trial bike. So there.
cat4ever is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:26 AM
  #20  
KendallF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll update my response as well -- I sold the Zipp rear and relaced my rear Hed Jet 60 with a 28 hole Powertap hub. I use the Jets for everything, training, racing, whatever. I took 'em to Spain and southern France this year, they've done crits, road races, triathlons..I like 'em a lot.
KendallF is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:41 AM
  #21  
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Posts: 4,930

Bikes: Light.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
time to resurrect this thread. i'm going through the same thought processes right now. i'm thinking of buying a pair of zipp 404s with a new powertap wireless hub that will talk to a garmin 705. they would be put on a bike that has one set of wheels, a pair of mike garcia niobiums with a wired powertap built in. problem is, due to travel for work, i don't race very much. this summer i only got in five races. so it seems pretty dumb to buy an expensive pair of wheels just to ride 'em 5 times a year. i could cut costs by not putting the powertap into the zipps. i wouldn't have power data for 5 races. so what? or i could go with the full zipp plan and just sell the niobiums. why save the zipps for only five days? why not ride 'em all the time? get my money's worth. maybe put on heavy-duty tires and switch to lighter race tires for those 5 days

recommendations? thoughts? ideas? suggestions? anyone? bueller?
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 11:10 AM
  #22  
SteelerHoo
Senior Member
 
SteelerHoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride them daily! With bikes (and maybe every non-insurable consumer purchase?) I think a good rule of thumb is that you should only buy things where you feel comfortable with the replacement cost on the day of purchase. If you're not comfortable, you're stretching your budget too far.

It's amazing to me how many people on this forum worry about their equipment like they are a family keepsake to be passed on for generations. Or how people buy things and worry about resale value from day one.

I'd say, if you want to spend on something to hang on the wall, gather dust and appreciate, buy art. Otherwise, bikes and their parts are depreciable assets with real life wear and tear, might as well use them.

I race and am also a bicycle enthusiast. I ride new and different sh-t because I like to. The variety interests me and though different equipment probably doesn't change my race results, I think bike gear is cool...to use. Think it's a waste of money to buy equipment that you don't ride.

Wheels aren't fragile, if you're worried about breaking a set of wheels, don't buy them. Get something that gives you peace of mind to ride daily.

I ride and race on Edge Composites carbon wheels, and have a set of 1-68s and 1-38s. I pretty much ride them daily unless I want to use the powertap. In training and racing, I've hit all kinds of potholes and like a timex, they keep on ticking. On that day when they do break...i'll cry and declare bankruptcy, just kidding. I'll use crash replacement and keep on riding them daily.
SteelerHoo is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 11:11 AM
  #23  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 20,714
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
If you're not racing much, why do you need the expensive aero rims?
to increase your chances of winning in fewer races?
gsteinb is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 11:20 AM
  #24  
SteelerHoo
Senior Member
 
SteelerHoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
If you're not racing much, why do you need the expensive aero rims?
LOL! funny question. none of us need much beyond a basic steel bike with utility parts. but i can tell you why you might want expensive aero rims. they are definitely faster, they look cool and they resonate that cool deep dish sound when you're riding.

even if you're not racing, why wouldn't you want to go faster?

and yes the engine matters more, but why not put the engine in a faster chassis?
SteelerHoo is offline  
Old 09-14-08, 04:36 PM
  #25  
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba
 
smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Eight Miles High
Posts: 1,361

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelerHoo View Post
LOL! funny question. none of us need much beyond a basic steel bike with utility parts. but i can tell you why you might want expensive aero rims. they are definitely faster, they look cool and they resonate that cool deep dish sound when you're riding.

even if you're not racing, why wouldn't you want to go faster?

and yes the engine matters more, but why not put the engine in a faster chassis?
i like the way this guy thinks
__________________
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
smoke is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.