"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

1990 Tour de Trump...

Old 04-04-08, 11:16 PM
  #1  
midschool22
Digging in the pain cave.
Thread Starter
 
midschool22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1990 Tour de Trump...

I found an old vhs copy of the 1990 Tour de Trump. Watching it takes me back to when I got started in road riding. Anyways, I found some footage from the race on youtube.

The clip has some time trial footage with Lemond, Ekimov and Steve Bauer losing control...

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkF2nMl7YU
midschool22 is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 11:48 PM
  #2  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice clip. It puts in perspective how long Ekimov's career was, from the peak of LeMond's career to the middle of Armstrong's Tour rampage. Bauer came tantalizingly close to pulling out a save from that crash, but at least he avoided the telephone pole!
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 12:01 AM
  #3  
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,681

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what that the year dag otto lauritzen won a stage?
Dubbayoo is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 03:31 AM
  #4  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,393

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Check out the cheesy inspirational music in the background.

How the F did Bauer pull that crash off? Impressive.

P. Ligget sounds like he's 30 years old.

What the F ever happened to Raul Acala?

patentcad is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 06:18 AM
  #5  
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,150

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
What the F ever happened to Raul Acala?
He became Minister of Sport in Monterey (Mexico) a number of years ago, or something like that.
YMCA is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 06:54 AM
  #6  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 3,059

Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, CAAD12, Felt DA, Dolan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Some great racing. Seems like its hard to find a video from that era without a Steve Bauer crash
Voodoo76 is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 09:22 AM
  #7  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,087

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Some notes:

- John Tesh and his music and commentary before he landed that TV gig of his (the "not Phil" guy who's talking). Tesh was the Liggett of the US for a while, and he put his music everywhere in the background - all the CBS Tour and Paris-Roubaix coverage stuff.
- After the crash Bauer used the now ubiquitous "put your elbows on your bars and hold your STI cables" position, probably the first to do so in a (pro) race, spawning a lot of Cat 3 and 4 copy cats (and appropriate close calls when their forearms slipped). It became illegal for a while (can't rest elbows on bars) then suddenly it was okay.
- That was when Specialized came out with the plastic shell instead of the net for the helmets. It was considered very "aero".
- I was just talking about this crash to someone a few days ago. I should find my tape. I forget who wins the thing, maybe Breukink (PDM), I think that Norweigan guy Atle Kvasvoll (sp?) was second. I'm pretty sure Eki was out of the overall after he rolled both his tires in the first turn of the initial TT/prologue.

Bauer signed for Weinmann and won a Tour TT a year or two later, pushing I think a 55x11, taking the Yellow for a while (he finished 4th I think). Most everyone else used 56x12s at the time, but Suntour offered an 11. Bauer used two disc wheels in a lot of his TTs. So cool looking.

And slightly off topic, Lemond was such the bike racer. I think Phinney said something like Lemond is the epitome of the perfect bike racer. This was after Lemond flatted in a TT (Tour de Trump or du Pont) and still beat Phinney by 30 seconds or so. Aero, churning a huge gear, almost always perfect form.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 09:50 AM
  #8  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Some notes:

- John Tesh and his music and commentary before he landed that TV gig of his (the "not Phil" guy who's talking). Tesh was the Liggett of the US for a while, and he put his music everywhere in the background - all the CBS Tour and Paris-Roubaix coverage stuff.
- After the crash Bauer used the now ubiquitous "put your elbows on your bars and hold your STI cables" position, probably the first to do so in a (pro) race, spawning a lot of Cat 3 and 4 copy cats (and appropriate close calls when their forearms slipped). It became illegal for a while (can't rest elbows on bars) then suddenly it was okay.
- That was when Specialized came out with the plastic shell instead of the net for the helmets. It was considered very "aero".
- I was just talking about this crash to someone a few days ago. I should find my tape. I forget who wins the thing, maybe Breukink (PDM),
I think that Norweigan guy Atle Kvasvoll (sp?) was second. I'm pretty sure Eki was out of the overall after he rolled both his tires in the first turn of the initial TT/prologue.

Bauer signed for Weinmann and won a Tour TT a year or two later, pushing I think a 55x11, taking the Yellow for a while (he finished 4th I think). Most everyone else used 56x12s at the time, but Suntour offered an 11. Bauer used two disc wheels in a lot of his TTs. So cool looking.

And slightly off topic, Lemond was such the bike racer. I think Phinney said something like Lemond is the epitome of the perfect bike racer. This was after Lemond flatted in a TT (Tour de Trump or du Pont) and still beat Phinney by 30 seconds or so. Aero, churning a huge gear, almost always perfect form.

cdr
iirc that was '91.
botto is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 10:09 AM
  #9  
tekhna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Those 7-11 jerseys were so great. Riding with two discs is ballsey.
tekhna is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 10:12 AM
  #10  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,087

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I looked it up Kvalsvoll was second in 90, 91. Last Tour de Trump, first Tour du Pont. First was Alcala and Breukink, both PDM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Trump

Atle was the eternal second in those races. 91 was interesting with Coors Light playing the wild card and doing a lot of damage until the team collectively exploded. They used the JDiscs and the "deep profile" JDisc cover things (wheel resembled a 404) in the time trials. *That* tape I lost, but I liked it more. Cool music among other things.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 10:27 AM
  #11  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I looked it up Kvalsvoll was second in 90, 91. Last Tour de Trump, first Tour du Pont. First was Alcala and Breukink, both PDM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Trump


Atle was the eternal second in those races. 91 was interesting with Coors Light playing the wild card and doing a lot of damage until the team collectively exploded. They used the JDiscs and the "deep profile" JDisc cover things (wheel resembled a 404) in the time trials. *That* tape I lost, but I liked it more. Cool music among other things.

cdr
they also used those latex skinsuits. probably sweated like pigs in them.
botto is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 10:45 AM
  #12  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
- John Tesh and his music and commentary before he landed that TV gig of his (the "not Phil" guy who's talking). Tesh was the Liggett of the US for a while, and he put his music everywhere in the background - all the CBS Tour and Paris-Roubaix coverage stuff.
Once they put out the sound track, it seemed like every criterium promoter in the northeast US felt legally obligated to play the music over the PA system during the race. You couldn't get away from it. I had a video tape of the '86 Paris-Roubaix that I used to play over and over; I'm surprised the tape didn't break. So for better or worse, I kind of have that music embedded in my brain. It's cheesy, but it helps when riding in the wind and the rain on crappy roads.
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 01:47 PM
  #13  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,087

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
So for better or worse, I kind of have that music embedded in my brain. It's cheesy, but it helps when riding in the wind and the rain on crappy roads.
+1
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 02:16 PM
  #14  
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop
 
king-tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE TN
Posts: 1,443

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post

What the F ever happened to Raul Acala?
Wasn't he the villain in Batman Begins?
king-tony is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 08:15 PM
  #15  
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Posts: 5,445

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Bauer got a quick bike change there yeah? Thanks for the link midschool I enjoyed it. Tour Du Pont used to role right by my apartment in the 90's. I still ride those roads today
jfmckenna is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 11:30 PM
  #16  
midschool22
Digging in the pain cave.
Thread Starter
 
midschool22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jfmckenna View Post
Bauer got a quick bike change there yeah? Thanks for the link midschool I enjoyed it. Tour Du Pont used to role right by my apartment in the 90's. I still ride those roads today
I have a couple hours of footage from the event. If I had a way to post it on youtube, I would for sure. It has some cool stuff.
midschool22 is offline  
Old 04-06-08, 08:44 AM
  #17  
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 5,022

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just added a new video on youtube of the 1987 TDf w/ Alcala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24aa8StJsa4
socalrider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.