"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

A spectator's perspective

Old 07-04-08, 09:35 PM
  #1  
Suzie Green
Cycler
Thread Starter
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A spectator's perspective

OK, so you're in a road race and I'm a spectator. Do you like the crowd cheering for you? What do you like to hear? I'm always torn, usually yelling something along the lines of "nice effort, way to go, keep it up." What about if you're off the back and looking like your tongue is stuck to your front wheel? When I yell some encouragement, do you feel like saying "%&#$ you and the horse you rode in on!" Some guys in the cat 4 race were really struggling at the end today. I don't know how you do it, I'd have gone home for an ice cream.
Suzie Green is offline  
Old 07-04-08, 10:11 PM
  #2  
merckx89
getting dropped
 
merckx89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: pasadena ca
Posts: 917

Bikes: cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't really tell what people are yelling at us, but it does help immensely to just hear the noise. Also if a group is off the front, yell out time gaps as there is really no other way for the riders to get these unless they have teammates on the sidelines who are not warming up.

If I was off the back, I would hate to hear the pity cheers.
merckx89 is offline  
Old 07-04-08, 10:15 PM
  #3  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,130

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ring a cow bell and yell at me. You can scream "Dandelions are yellow!" and that would probably work just as well as "Close that f-ing gap!"
waterrockets is offline  
Old 07-04-08, 10:29 PM
  #4  
brittle
--
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was otb in a recent road race, and one fellow (who I don't know at all -- never been to the town before; definitely didn't know him from anywhere) yelled angrily about how I'd _better_ catch back on. As if he was pissed & personally disappointed in me. There may have been some profanity sprinkled in, or I may be making it better in the remembering. Which was fantastic. Waaay better (& more useful) than the half-hearted, kinda embarrassing "you can do-its" from elsewhere over that last 45 minutes.
brittle is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 06:27 AM
  #5  
Az B
Fattest Thin Man
 
Az B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Posts: 2,649

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That does it, at the next race I'm watching I'm yelling "Dandelions are yellow!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbAuMr5eac

Az
Az B is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 06:30 AM
  #6  
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Posts: 5,084

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent question!
I marvel at running events where they encourage every single participant with "good job" or "way to go". Bah! I hurt. You can't lie to me.

I think the lower Categories will appreciate that kind of encouragement. But as you get up to Cat 1-2 races, they're hearing less of what you're saying and more the tone.

If you can... assess how other riders look and tell me if I look better or worse than them. You have a maximum of two words to get your point across.

Most importantly, in case no one ever says this to you: thanks for coming to the bike race and watching!

Last edited by EventServices; 07-05-08 at 06:39 AM. Reason: lengthy
EventServices is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 06:38 AM
  #7  
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 4,166

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to yell "hurry up" or "go faster"
Snuffleupagus is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 07:11 AM
  #8  
Suzie Green
Cycler
Thread Starter
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
Excellent question!
I marvel at running events where they encourage every single participant with "good job" or "way to go". Bah! I hurt. You can't lie to me.

Funny that you say this. Yesterday I saw one guy OTB and he looked pretty beat, like he'd rather be anywhere but in this freakin bike race. He was going up this steep hill, interminably slowly, so I was able to get in more than the usual 2-3 words. As he went by I said "I gotta tell ya, you look like crap!" He yelled back something like "First honest person I've met all day!"
Suzie Green is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 07:18 AM
  #9  
Hipcycler
OCP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 6,289

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allez Allez Allez
Hipcycler is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 07:23 AM
  #10  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merckx89 View Post
Can't really tell what people are yelling at us, but it does help immensely to just hear the noise. Also if a group is off the front, yell out time gaps as there is really no other way for the riders to get these unless they have teammates on the sidelines who are not warming up.

If I was off the back, I would hate to hear the pity cheers.
And absolutely do not yell time gaps to someone off the back. Someone kept telling me increasing time gaps and "you can catch them" when I was off the back of one race. I wanted to pull over and strangle them. I knew I was off the back and losing ground, I didn't need someone yelling it at me! Edit: it was on a hill on a crit so I wasn't moving particularly fast, but went by every few minutes...
umd is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 07:50 AM
  #11  
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 6,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Pedal lumpy!"

I wish I had never taught my daughter that one.

Last edited by wanders; 07-05-08 at 09:16 AM.
wanders is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 10:39 AM
  #12  
merckx89
getting dropped
 
merckx89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: pasadena ca
Posts: 917

Bikes: cannondale super six, KHS 100 fixed, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd View Post
And absolutely do not yell time gaps to someone off the back. Someone kept telling me increasing time gaps and "you can catch them" when I was off the back of one race. I wanted to pull over and strangle them. I knew I was off the back and losing ground, I didn't need someone yelling it at me! Edit: it was on a hill on a crit so I wasn't moving particularly fast, but went by every few minutes...
I meant in reference to breaks, but yea it would be annoying if you were OTB.

Can we just leave it at, if someone's OTB then STFU.
merckx89 is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 10:47 AM
  #13  
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Posts: 4,930

Bikes: Light.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give time gaps to someone off the front of the race, not the guys off the back.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 11:07 AM
  #14  
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Posts: 5,084

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merckx89 View Post
Can we just leave it at, if someone's OTB then STFU.
Agreed! It's best to say nothing.
EventServices is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 01:59 PM
  #15  
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Posts: 2,069

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it when the girls lift up their shirts. Guys, not so much.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 02:24 PM
  #16  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merckx89 View Post
I meant in reference to breaks, but yea it would be annoying if you were OTB.

Can we just leave it at, if someone's OTB then STFU.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you were talking about time gaps to OTB. I was just contrasting to the time I was being given time gaps to the back. TMI... I don't want to know, and I don't want someone to tell me that I need to close the gap. Don't they think that if I could close the gap I would?

I agree, OTB=STFU.
umd is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 05:43 PM
  #17  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 37,723

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Today I was off the back and if one of the neutal water people had said "You suck" as went by, I would have said "I know."
caloso is offline  
Old 07-05-08, 09:15 PM
  #18  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 3,064

Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, CAAD12, Felt DA, Dolan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
Funny that you say this. Yesterday I saw one guy OTB and he looked pretty beat, like he'd rather be anywhere but in this freakin bike race. He was going up this steep hill, interminably slowly, so I was able to get in more than the usual 2-3 words. As he went by I said "I gotta tell ya, you look like crap!" He yelled back something like "First honest person I've met all day!"
That reminds me, struggling up a climb once and had my own support van pull up next to me, look, then ask me if I wanted a ride (I must have looked worse than I felt).

Really, just making a lot of noise is appreciated.
Voodoo76 is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 05:51 AM
  #19  
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,087

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think cheering is good in general, if only to get other spectators involved in the race. The worst is the single person clapping slowly as an OTB rider slowly rolls by - feels like being at a funeral.

In Pro/1/2 races, if I know a pro relatively well and he is not in the lead group, my favorite thing to yell (after making sure people within 100 yards all look like adults) is "Do some of that Pro sht and get up there!"

Then there's just the plain silliness directed at friends or friendly/familiar racers.
"Dude, you're a stud!"
"I love your socks"
"You missed a spot on your knee"
"Oh the pain"
"My legs hurt too"
"You can sit up if you want"
"Go blue wheels"
etc etc etc

The silly cheers are best done as a group. I haven't been in a silly mood in a while. I'll have to remember this next weekend.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 08:37 AM
  #20  
Bantam
Senior Member
 
Bantam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,187

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I think cheering is good in general, if only to get other spectators involved in the race. The worst is the single person clapping slowly as an OTB rider slowly rolls by - feels like being at a funeral.

In Pro/1/2 races, if I know a pro relatively well and he is not in the lead group, my favorite thing to yell (after making sure people within 100 yards all look like adults) is "Do some of that Pro sht and get up there!"

Then there's just the plain silliness directed at friends or friendly/familiar racers.
"Dude, you're a stud!"
"I love your socks"
"You missed a spot on your knee"
"Oh the pain"
"My legs hurt too"
"You can sit up if you want"
"Go blue wheels"
etc etc etc

The silly cheers are best done as a group. I haven't been in a silly mood in a while. I'll have to remember this next weekend.

cdr
That is some funny material right there.
Bantam is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 09:37 AM
  #21  
aicabsolut
Senior Member
 
aicabsolut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Ring a cow bell and yell at me. You can scream "Dandelions are yellow!" and that would probably work just as well as "Close that f-ing gap!"
In crits, if you're anywhere near the S/F line with a cowbell it's too confusing (in races that offer primes).
aicabsolut is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 10:43 AM
  #22  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My parents, who had a reputation for their yelling at my races, once asked if I could hear them. I told them I had no idea what they were saying, but that it helped anyway. I believe it, too. So I agree that it doesn't matter what you say. Just say it and say it loud.
urbanknight is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 10:44 AM
  #23  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
In crits, if you're anywhere near the S/F line with a cowbell it's too confusing (in races that offer primes).
+ 1,000,000 it seems that every lap, I'm listening to the announcer because I'm trying to figure out if it's a prime or just some untrained musician.
urbanknight is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 11:00 AM
  #24  
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I manage to have very selective hearing in races-- there's a small bunch of people who I know really well and who I know are going to give useful information. I can hear them really well, to the point of comprehending full sentences. Everything else is just noise, except for the one time some guy on the back stretch started yelling "Go Duck Guy!" when I was off the front and the announcer started talking about how I run a website about mean ducks.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline  
Old 07-06-08, 11:06 AM
  #25  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Good point. My coach and trainer were always able to be clear to me. I always thought it was in the coaching manual or voodoo magic

Oh, and I clearly hear people's cheers when OTB. Not so much when OTF as I'm probably concentrating more .
urbanknight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.