Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   Racing with 40 lbs in the rear tire (https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/440202-racing-40-lbs-rear-tire.html)

patentcad 07-12-08 08:58 AM

Racing with 40 lbs in the rear tire
 
I would guess that would slow you down. Bailed in the PP race today not too far from the end, rear tire felt mushy, looked down and it was very low to the point where I saw no point in continuing (this was lap 8 of 10 in Prospect this AM). I was actually fearful of the 35mph+ descent on a tire with <50lbs of air.

I would guess that semi flat would go a long way towards explaining why that race felt so hard for me today, although I think it was a fast pace, I'm pretty sure no breakaways succeeded. I would imagine it's harder going 30mph with 50lbs instead of 160 in the rear tire. I was even more fearful of trying to continue and losing all remaining pressure on my pricey Zipp rim at the wrong time. That would suck. Oh well.

Pcad's Bag of Excuses always has room for one more.

El Diablo Rojo 07-12-08 09:00 AM

Its psi not lbs when talking pressure.

patentcad 07-12-08 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo (Post 7045483)
Its psi not lbs when talking pressure.

You know what I'm talking about. Don't piss me off or I'll start posting in Celsius and Metric.

El Diablo Rojo 07-12-08 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 7045498)
You know what I'm talking about. Don't piss me off or I'll start posting in Celsius and Metric.

Don't do that you'll have the entire BF community running for the calculators.....

Stallionforce 07-12-08 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 7045498)
You know what I'm talking about. Don't piss me off or I'll start posting in Celsius and Metric.

As you well should, old boy.

TurboTurtle 07-12-08 09:33 AM


Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo (Post 7045483)
Its psi not lbs when talking pressure.

Actually, it's psig. - TF

vladav 07-12-08 11:20 AM

I thought he meant 40lbs in the 'ol derriere?

fix 07-12-08 11:56 AM

Actually, I didn't understand the headline. I thought you heard about some idiot who did training races with a tandem rear wheel filled with lead or something.

Dick Rhee 07-12-08 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by fix (Post 7046142)
Actually, I didn't understand the headline. I thought you heard about some idiot who did training races with a tandem rear wheel filled with lead or something.

Same here, I saw the headline and thought that the idea of filling someone's back tire with mercury before a race would be pretty comical, aside from the entire toxic bit.

waterrockets 07-12-08 01:03 PM

Naw, with your weight on top of it, I'll bet it was up to 110psi. Did you measure when your fat a55 was off the bike? ;)

ericcox 07-12-08 01:30 PM

;)

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 7045477)
I would guess that would slow you down. Bailed in the PP race today not too far from the end, rear tire felt mushy, looked down and it was very low to the point where I saw no point in continuing (this was lap 8 of 10 in Prospect this AM). I was actually fearful of the 35mph+ descent on a tire with <50lbs of air.

I would guess that semi flat would go a long way towards explaining why that race felt so hard for me today, although I think it was a fast pace, I'm pretty sure no breakaways succeeded. I would imagine it's harder going 30mph with 50lbs instead of 160 in the rear tire. I was even more fearful of trying to continue and losing all remaining pressure on my pricey Zipp rim at the wrong time. That would suck. Oh well.

Pcad's Bag of Excuses always has room for one more
.

Couldn't be bothered to watch the finish after you DNF'd? What must your sponsor think?

patentcad 07-12-08 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by ericcox (Post 7046484)
;)

Couldn't be bothered to watch the finish after you DNF'd? What must your sponsor think?

I am the sponsor and I think I suck. But I did take the early exit opportunity to drive the 70 miles back to Chester, pick up my wife and daughter, and chauffeur them all the way to Kennedy Airport for their flight to Italy tonight. I got the Almost Five Borough Tour of NY City today (no Staten Island). I would have normally watched the end of the race, but I had some serious running around to do today, all on $4/gallon gas. Sometimes it can't be avoided.

My Zipp has been re-treaded and is ready for further action. I'll try this again next Saturday and barring a fatal collision resulting in a 5AM road closure on the NY Thruway (last race) or a puncture (today's race) I'll be hammering with the 35+ kids again.

rizz 07-12-08 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by TurboTurtle (Post 7045601)
Actually, it's psig. - TF

If we're going to talk metric, it's Pa or bar, isn't it? I can never remember which.

Race on!

patentcad 07-12-08 02:37 PM

Dude, I pump up my tire to 120 lbs or 160 lbs. and so does everybody else in NY. You know what you can do with your psi mumbo jumbo.

That sounds like a good name for a shrimp appetizer. psi mumbo jumbo shrimp.

San Rensho 07-12-08 03:10 PM

Yikes, probably pretty squirrelly in the corners too.

ericcox 07-12-08 03:25 PM


Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 7046687)
I am the sponsor and I think I suck. But I did take the early exit opportunity to drive the 70 miles back to Chester, pick up my wife and daughter, and chauffeur them all the way to Kennedy Airport for their flight to Italy tonight. I got the Almost Five Borough Tour of NY City today (no Staten Island). I would have normally watched the end of the race, but I had some serious running around to do today, all on $4/gallon gas. Sometimes it can't be avoided.

My Zipp has been re-treaded and is ready for further action. I'll try this again next Saturday and barring a fatal collision resulting in a 5AM road closure on the NY Thruway (last race) or a puncture (today's race) I'll be hammering with the 35+ kids again
.

Hence my lame attempt at humor and an ill-placed winky smiley. I'll get it in the right place this time: :o

patentcad 07-12-08 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by San Rensho (Post 7046835)
Yikes, probably pretty squirrelly in the corners too.

No corners in Prospect Park. A bit of a screaming 35mph+ mini descent however.

patentcad 07-12-08 03:27 PM

Those smiley face icons are hereby banned from Pcad threads. Make a note of it.

ericcox 07-12-08 03:53 PM

:thumb:

Brian Ratliff 07-12-08 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by rizz (Post 7046710)
If we're going to talk metric, it's Pa or bar, isn't it? I can never remember which.

Race on!

Metric it's bar. SI it's Pa.

biker128pedal 07-12-08 04:38 PM


Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 7045498)
You know what I'm talking about. Don't piss me off or I'll start posting in Celsius and Metric.

Be absolute and post in Kelvin.

http://www.zapatopi.net/kelvin/

http://www.zapatopi.net/kelvin/regal_kelvin.jpg

:D:lol:;):):roflmao::roflmao2:

patentcad 07-12-08 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by ericcox (Post 7047008)
:thumb:

Paradoxically, Road Nazis abhor authority.

Quantum Skyline 07-12-08 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo (Post 7045483)
Its psi not lbs when talking pressure.

psi == Pounds per Square Inch

patentcad 07-12-08 06:55 PM

Nobody's answering me. Does it slow you down much to have 50lbs in your rear tire instead of 150? Wouldn't that absorb a few watts @ 30mph?

I mean, come on fellas, talk me down off the Velo Ledge here.

http://improveverywhere.com/images/sui00.jpg

kniprm 07-12-08 07:12 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a jump...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.