Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Reply

Old 04-28-18, 07:08 PM
  #8376  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 2,982

Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Dolan PreCursa, Cdale Slice

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ttoc6 View Post
Wahoo element syncs to dropbox. This was a hugeeeee benefit for me. Sync to dropbox, and have golden cheetah auto pull new activities from that folder when I launch. It also sends to strava / training peaks etc. But I rarely look at training peaks except to get my hrTSS from rides where i don't have a powermeter.
The only issue I have with Wahoo (Bolt) is when I open it up using the phone app, which I don't do often. It syncs with the app and syncs again with TP. More times than not this puts a duplicate workout or two into training peaks. Then when I open WKO4 it syncs with TP and puts the duplicate there. Really messes with ATL/TSB. Have to go into TP, delete the duplicates then re-snc WKO4.

I have no issues if I simply finish rides & let the Bolt do its thing. Rides just magically appear in TP.
Voodoo76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 01:03 PM
  #8377  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
You can delete those workouts out of TP before syncing to WKO.
topflightpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 02:54 PM
  #8378  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 2,982

Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Dolan PreCursa, Cdale Slice

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
You can delete those workouts out of TP before syncing to WKO.
If I remember to check first
Voodoo76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 05:00 PM
  #8379  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Voodoo76 View Post
The only issue I have with Wahoo (Bolt) is when I open it up using the phone app, which I don't do often. It syncs with the app and syncs again with TP. More times than not this puts a duplicate workout or two into training peaks. Then when I open WKO4 it syncs with TP and puts the duplicate there. Really messes with ATL/TSB. Have to go into TP, delete the duplicates then re-snc WKO4.

I have no issues if I simply finish rides & let the Bolt do its thing. Rides just magically appear in TP.
Same problem. It's annoying and I wish it would get fixed. I don't use TP to drive my training but can imagine how much frustration that would cause..
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 01:03 AM
  #8380  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,437
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ttoc6 View Post
Same problem. It's annoying and I wish it would get fixed. I don't use TP to drive my training but can imagine how much frustration that would cause..
it's more than annoying if one has a coach and TrainingPeaks is used, as many coaches download the files from TP.com automatically.
tetonrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 08:25 AM
  #8381  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Still having a hard time transferring all my legacy power files into WKO. Strava bulk exported as GPX, Cycling Analytics exported as .fit and .json. WKO doesn't take gpx or json. I can't find a converter for .json, there may be one for GPX to TCX (GPSBabel) that I'll try after work. This shouldn't be that hard =\
furiousferret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 06:27 PM
  #8382  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
Still having a hard time transferring all my legacy power files into WKO. Strava bulk exported as GPX, Cycling Analytics exported as .fit and .json. WKO doesn't take gpx or json. I can't find a converter for .json, there may be one for GPX to TCX (GPSBabel) that I'll try after work. This shouldn't be that hard =\
Push comes to shove.. Put them into golden cheetah and bulk export back as the file type you want. Kinda sucks to download a whole piece of software to do this, but it will work. Yes it takes all those file types.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 07:23 PM
  #8383  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ttoc6 View Post
Push comes to shove.. Put them into golden cheetah and bulk export back as the file type you want. Kinda sucks to download a whole piece of software to do this, but it will work. Yes it takes all those file types.
Thanks!

I just literally (as the english would say) found this out about about this 5 minutes eariler. How WKO has millions of $$ in development and can't do this is beyond me.
furiousferret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 09:36 PM
  #8384  
jsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 594

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
How WKO has millions of $$ in development and can't do this is beyond me.
Well, I think you may be overestimating the development budget of WKO. That said, WKO+/Training Peaks are the 'premium' brand in training software and have traditionally had a pretty strong hold on the market (though maybe not as strong now as they used to have). I don't think they consider inter-operabilty with competing products to be in their best interests; they'd rather tie you to their platform. Hence the tight integration between WKO+ and TrainingPeaks, yet at the same time they've closed the API's that were previously used by products such as Golden Cheetah for syncing with TrainingPeaks. I happen disagree with that 'protectionist' thinking, and I think it's doing them more harm than good.
jsk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 12:39 PM
  #8385  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
So I did a spirited hilly group ride yesterday, and finished with a IF of 1.15 for 1.5hours moving time ~1.75 hours elapsed. I did a 20 min FTP test outside last week and saw a small bump in my FTP compared to 1 month ago that was performed on the trainer(same power meter). Do I just suck at pacing/motivation, or is this due to the nature of a hilly group ride where a lot of time is spent at high efforts and then a lot of time is spent recovering. My coggan weighted avg power was ~35watts above my FTP for the ride. I know training peaks suggests an IF over 1 for an hour effort is an indication fitness has improved. Just wondering if I should retest soon or how to go about calculating my FTP from this ride to make sure my zones are set correctly.
redlude97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 02:43 PM
  #8386  
jsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 594

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
So I did a spirited hilly group ride yesterday, and finished with a IF of 1.15 for 1.5hours moving time ~1.75 hours elapsed. I did a 20 min FTP test outside last week and saw a small bump in my FTP compared to 1 month ago that was performed on the trainer(same power meter). Do I just suck at pacing/motivation, or is this due to the nature of a hilly group ride where a lot of time is spent at high efforts and then a lot of time is spent recovering. My coggan weighted avg power was ~35watts above my FTP for the ride. I know training peaks suggests an IF over 1 for an hour effort is an indication fitness has improved. Just wondering if I should retest soon or how to go about calculating my FTP from this ride to make sure my zones are set correctly.
What was the Variability Index for the ride? I often reproduce that scenario in crits, due to the surges/attacks mixed in with lulls (and even coasting on a more technical course). IMHO you can't really used Normalized Power to estimate FTP, especially if you're the kind of rider with a big anaerobic engine who's good at above-threshold efforts. I'm guessing your average power was quite a bit lower?

It might be worth retesting to see what you can do in a more steady effort, but I wouldn't assume that NP from a highly variable ride is a direct indicator of a new FTP. Also, if you're the type of rider who often produces these 'NP-buster' types of numbers, a longer FTP test should be preferred. Something like the 2x8' test on Trainer Road will most likely overestimate your FTP.
jsk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 03:09 PM
  #8387  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
What was the Variability Index for the ride? I often reproduce that scenario in crits, due to the surges/attacks mixed in with lulls (and even coasting on a more technical course). IMHO you can't really used Normalized Power to estimate FTP, especially if you're the kind of rider with a big anaerobic engine who's good at above-threshold efforts. I'm guessing your average power was quite a bit lower?

It might be worth retesting to see what you can do in a more steady effort, but I wouldn't assume that NP from a highly variable ride is a direct indicator of a new FTP. Also, if you're the type of rider who often produces these 'NP-buster' types of numbers, a longer FTP test should be preferred. Something like the 2x8' test on Trainer Road will most likely overestimate your FTP.
yea wasn't trying to use np to estimate ftp. The VI was 1.3 so it was all over the place. I use the 20 min test with anaerobic efforts beforehand like the one on zwift. I'm a cyclocross racer so I am used to high anaerobic efforts with recovery inbetween.
redlude97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 01:59 PM
  #8388  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Looks like last time i got -61 it was 2 months before positive, but ctl went up almost 40 pts. As ctl rose, tsb became less negative and eventually flatlined as my workload remained fairly steady.
So just as an update, I've been sitting with a fairly negative TSB for a month now. My CTL should stabilize as it did for you, and daily workload should settle at a relatively steady rate. Not sure how much I can continue to ramp the ATL but haven't done many rides over 30 miles yet for the year. Anyone have any thoughts on if this is sustainable? Haven't gotten injured or burned out yet, but its been a hard road so far.
redlude97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 09:02 AM
  #8389  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,829

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So I was one of those guys with an early Quarq (Cinqo Saturn, then 4 other Cinqos). They all died.

Has Quarq addressed these issues and fixed their spider to be more robust?
kensuf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 10:20 AM
  #8390  
ntnyln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
So I was one of those guys with an early Quarq (Cinqo Saturn, then 4 other Cinqos). They all died.

Has Quarq addressed these issues and fixed their spider to be more robust?

N=4, but I've been a fan, I have 4 Quarq's.: 3 Elsa's that I have had since 2013 and one of the new Specialized Dzero's that I've had since March. They are all consistent and have been robust. The one issue I did have was because I broke the battery holder using pliers to open it up. That's a big no no and when the battery case spins the numbers will be off. Not sure the connection between the two, but I had it fixed under warranty and haven't had an issue since. It's nice that the new ones let me check the battery level in their new Bluetooth app.
ntnyln is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 08:26 PM
  #8391  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Took advantage of the p2m upgrade deal. Upgraded both my old meters to their new NGeco model and get a power meter on my new road bike. Hopefully I'll have a bit better aprity between my road bike and tt bike as well.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 09:05 PM
  #8392  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,820

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
So I was one of those guys with an early Quarq (Cinqo Saturn, then 4 other Cinqos). They all died.

Has Quarq addressed these issues and fixed their spider to be more robust?
I've been using the last one for like 3 years. ymmv

dzero's seem pretty good.
Ygduf is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service