"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tabata Protocol

Old 01-18-09, 09:09 AM
  #51  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,846

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
All out means all out.

Do you think the guys in the break up the road are going to sit up when you shout "wait, I'm going over 170% of my vo2max and can't bridge up"?
http://www.fascatcoaching.com/criteriumracing.html

Originally Posted by fastcatcoaching article
Now this may not always be the case (or possible) so in addition to increasing your zero time in a crit, you might also want to consider training at the type of power outputs you’ll need to chase and drop your competitors. For starters, entering more crits is an ideal way to train which, again, goes back to the crafty crit racing experience thing. In addition, short intervals 5-20 seconds in length at power levels WAY above your threshold mimic criteriums the best. Looking at an SRM file from a typical crit reveals anywhere from 10 - 80 spikes depending on the course, category, length, level, intensity, and terrain. Break that down into an interval workout and start with a workout of ten to thirty 5 second sprints (depending on your fitness level). Now further break up those sprints into sets of 4-6 sprints each. Once again start slowly and work your way up in intensity and number of sets. But you can do it; its just all out for five seconds followed by 15-30 seconds of rest and repeat. Break up the sets with 2-3 minutes of rest and you have yourself a great criterium specific mid-week workout. In total a typical workout may be only 2.5 minutes of intensity but its at an intensity much much greater than your power at threshold. We’re talking 300 -1000 watts! The idea is to stimulate your body to be able to handle power outputs of this magnitude on a regular repeated basis. Just what occurs in a criterium.

As your training progresses, increase the duration of each interval eventually working your way up to twenty and thirty seconds. Similarly, increase the total intensity of the workout up to 10 or more total minutes depending on your fitness level. Decrease your work to rest ratio eventually down to a one to one 20 second on 20 second off effort, for example. Before long you’ll be that crafty crit racer coasting along, breathing easy and racking up zero time just waiting to make your move.
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 09:29 AM
  #52  
ldesfor1@ithaca
Senior Member
 
ldesfor1@ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newton Ctr. MA
Posts: 2,109

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^

I like this point, Ken.

I do most of my early season Anerobic work at the local spring crits. Basically I'll treat it like a workout and focus on trying to contest EVERY prime (this only works if I do the "B" race) which gives my 6-8 AWC intervals with a sprint at the end, PLUS i get the pack skills associated with doing it in real time... then I try and recover and not get dropped from the race as I nearly throw up.
wow. good times. (although Tabatas sound worse...)

-L
ldesfor1@ithaca is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 02:44 PM
  #53  
nafun
squid
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
All out means all out.

Do you think the guys in the break up the road are going to sit up when you shout "wait, I'm going over 170% of my vo2max and can't bridge up"?
I don't see what that has to do with the specific training protocol this thread is about.
nafun is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 02:50 PM
  #54  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,846

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nafun View Post
I don't see what that has to do with the specific training protocol this thread is about.
Yes, you don't.
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 02:59 PM
  #55  
nafun
squid
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
Yes, you don't.
Care to enlighten me?
nafun is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 04:13 PM
  #56  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,846

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nafun View Post
Care to enlighten me?
I'm sorry about my flippant response, I realize in hindsight that it was in poor taste.

The OP posted a response from someone that basically said "expect recovery and threshold to go up, but don't expect endurance, etc".

The original study was a one shot deal and as part of a scientific experiment they were looking for repeatability and good science. Hence their strict adherence to 170% of FTP (plus also doing them 5 times a week). While I don't think anyone in their right mind would say "if you only do these intervals five days a week, and nothing else, you'll be a successful racer" however, the training adaptation that a person interested in racing is probably most interested in will occur by just doing these intervals "all out" once or twice a week. Being concerned about hitting XX wattage and trying to target xx of FTP is over analyzing the training benefit and missing the point. The benefit is the body's adaptation to being able to have a quick recovery and that they will also increase your power. The point is developing the ability to go balls to wall when you need to in a race.

If you do them "all out" they will hurt. They will wipe you out in 5 minutes time and leave you on the carpet begging for mercy if you do them "all out". But they'll make you stronger and when you're in a race and that moment comes, you'll have that arrow in your quiver if you do them.

Now, please understand. I'm just a pack fodder cat3 with nothing to really speak of in terms of results, but I'm strong and fit, and I consider these intervals a crucial training regimen for racing. But, I just race for fun and in the hope of helping one of my teammates grab the glory.

That article I linked at the top of this page can explain it in more detail if you're still not convinced. And if you're still not convinced, PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with a few guys who study this stuff for a living that are convinced they have benefit to racing (hey one of those PhD's I'm referring to did his first crit in 20 years yesterday after doing tabata's for the last two months and he said he felt that they were a big boon to his fitness).
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 06:56 PM
  #57  
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad View Post
Tried these again - must say that at least for me, "all out" is too much. Got to 3 and thought I was going to die. Surely the "shortest" 10 seconds you will ever experience.

I've done 30-30s before. Can't say which yields greatest effect, but the 30sec recover for 30-30 makes them easier to handle.
If cycling was easy everybody would do it . Like anything else it takes weeks to get confortable with these types of efforts and you should have a solid period of FTP work before doing these IMHO
wfrogge is offline  
Old 01-28-09, 03:00 PM
  #58  
FiveThirteen
these go to eleven
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first set of 8 today. An hour later I was still coughing. It hurt so good Can't wait for my next set.
FiveThirteen is offline  
Old 05-17-11, 11:17 PM
  #59  
Thrasheri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone still doing tabata intervals? I started doing them about a month a go and im really feeling im in better shape the never. I have done tabata at home with burbees and i made tabata timer to help me with the timing. I uploaded it so everyone can use it. Check it out at

tabata timer

Last edited by Thrasheri; 05-24-11 at 12:06 PM.
Thrasheri is offline  
Old 05-19-11, 10:54 PM
  #60  
pcward
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. Did my first set yesterday. Got to 5 and was begging for mercy. Great stuff!
pcward is offline  
Old 05-20-11, 05:58 AM
  #61  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,846

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how white flames burn very bright, but burn out very fast.
kensuf is offline  
Old 05-20-11, 08:27 AM
  #62  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Allen (Dallas), TX
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pwnd
Doggus is offline  
Old 05-20-11, 02:44 PM
  #63  
Thrasheri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doggus thats a nice timer, many options to choose from. I updated my timer with online version. Im working on a mobile version too. Any improvement ideas would be very welcome. Im just doing this to learn to program better and to help the community.
Check the online version at tabata timer
Thrasheri is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 08:01 AM
  #64  
Thrasheri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I ported the pc-version of the tabata timer to mobile phone version. All the values are configurable, so you can use it for other interval training methods aswell. It beeps between work and rest periods. Its free and works on all phones that has android 1.6 or higher installed. I hope you like it. If you find any bugs or have an improvement ideas just let me know.

Check it out at :

Tabata interval timer
Thrasheri is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 08:27 AM
  #65  
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,681

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Gymboss timer. It can be setup for Tabata intervals; I do Tabata air squats twice a week. The Gymboss is very handy.

www.gymboss.com
Dubbayoo is offline  
Old 08-17-11, 12:27 AM
  #66  
Thrasheri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I updated the android-version and added some sounds and the install to SD-support. I also updated the starting interface. My pc crashed and i lost the signing key for the old one so i had the create new one to the market it is located at

Tabata interval timer LITE

I also made a pro-version that has a lot more features it is located at :

Tabata Interval Timer PRO
Thrasheri is offline  
Old 08-17-11, 12:02 PM
  #67  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Allen (Dallas), TX
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrasheri
peddle peddle peddle
Posting everywhere Tabata comes up in a search?!?
Doggus is offline  
Old 08-17-11, 12:36 PM
  #68  
atlas750
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading the old posts. Would like to try this. How often per week can this be done?
atlas750 is offline  
Old 08-19-11, 04:32 AM
  #69  
Thrasheri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
atlas750:

Debends how much you do training besides these intervals. I would recommend three times a week or less.


Doggus:

No Just posted few forums that the pc-timer got traffic from.
Thrasheri is offline  
Old 08-20-11, 04:31 AM
  #70  
veloboy971
Must Go Faster
 
veloboy971's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stopped at the bakery
Posts: 972

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
I'm sorry about my flippant response, I realize in hindsight that it was in poor taste.

The OP posted a response from someone that basically said "expect recovery and threshold to go up, but don't expect endurance, etc".

The original study was a one shot deal and as part of a scientific experiment they were looking for repeatability and good science. Hence their strict adherence to 170% of FTP (plus also doing them 5 times a week). While I don't think anyone in their right mind would say "if you only do these intervals five days a week, and nothing else, you'll be a successful racer" however, the training adaptation that a person interested in racing is probably most interested in will occur by just doing these intervals "all out" once or twice a week. Being concerned about hitting XX wattage and trying to target xx of FTP is over analyzing the training benefit and missing the point. The benefit is the body's adaptation to being able to have a quick recovery and that they will also increase your power. The point is developing the ability to go balls to wall when you need to in a race.

If you do them "all out" they will hurt. They will wipe you out in 5 minutes time and leave you on the carpet begging for mercy if you do them "all out". But they'll make you stronger and when you're in a race and that moment comes, you'll have that arrow in your quiver if you do them.

Now, please understand. I'm just a pack fodder cat3 with nothing to really speak of in terms of results, but I'm strong and fit, and I consider these intervals a crucial training regimen for racing. But, I just race for fun and in the hope of helping one of my teammates grab the glory.

That article I linked at the top of this page can explain it in more detail if you're still not convinced. And if you're still not convinced, PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with a few guys who study this stuff for a living that are convinced they have benefit to racing (hey one of those PhD's I'm referring to did his first crit in 20 years yesterday after doing tabata's for the last two months and he said he felt that they were a big boon to his fitness).
+1 another point kensuf is trying to make is at if you only do intervals at 170%, what happens when you are chasing a break and you are almost there but just about to blow (ie all out). Are you going to yell up the road at them to slow down and wish you had more power or once you get to the break wish you could recover quicker?
veloboy971 is offline  
Old 08-20-11, 05:16 AM
  #71  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veloboy971 View Post
+1 another point kensuf is trying to make is at if you only do intervals at 170%, what happens when you are chasing a break and you are almost there but just about to blow (ie all out). Are you going to yell up the road at them to slow down and wish you had more power or once you get to the break wish you could recover quicker?


In training races, I will often chase a break only to blow up 20m behind them. People wonder why I do that. If I make it, great. If I don't, then that's one less hard interval to do on my own.
shovelhd is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Michael Angelo
Classic and Vintage Sales
6
06-29-15 02:57 AM
JeremyZ
Commuting
11
05-01-10 08:46 PM
Myfirsttrek
Road Cycling
8
07-14-08 04:32 PM
Drexman
Classic & Vintage
2
01-22-07 04:04 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.