Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My twitter feed

Old 01-07-11, 12:33 PM
  #50826  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,910

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
made it to the airport.
checked luggage.
had lunch: mixed salad w/some turkey.
in the lounge.
drinks are free.
holding off.
water and a blueberry white chocolate cookie for now.
will wait another 30 minutes for a bevvy.

currently on water.
If you are drunk and belligerent you can be denied boarding. Not that I would ever think you were capable of that.
mollusk is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:36 PM
  #50827  
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Posts: 6,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
dude, i'm not the pilot.
I'm drunk as a pilot right now. I meant former.
CyLowe97 is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:37 PM
  #50828  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
If you are drunk and belligerent you can be denied boarding. Not that I would ever think you were capable of that.
funny you mention that.

that pos docu-soap "airline" always shows people getting denied boarding due to alcohol consumption.

i've never seen that happen in real life, not that i've ever been (noticeably) drunk when i've boarded.

anyway, i really should take it easy. my destination is 2,600 meters above sea level.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:39 PM
  #50829  
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Posts: 12,340

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
funny you mention that.

that pos docu-soap "airline" always shows people getting denied boarding due to alcohol consumption.

i've never seen that happen in real life, not that i've ever been (noticeably) drunk when i've boarded.

I need a good drunk right now.
substructure is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:41 PM
  #50830  
Nate552
Senior Member
 
Nate552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 2,620

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
3 hours before my flight leaves. to drink, or not to drink.
Drink. It's the only way to make air transportation tolerable. (Especially if you are in coach) I prefer wine on my air travel days. (Unless I have a drive when I get to where I'm going. )
Nate552 is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:48 PM
  #50831  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate552 View Post
Drink. It's the only way to make air transportation tolerable. (Especially if you are in coach) I prefer wine on my air travel days. (Unless I have a drive when I get to where I'm going. )
no driving for me, but with the 3 hour wait, coupled with a 6 hour flight, well... i don't want to get myself into any trouble, now do i?
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:50 PM
  #50832  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
free drinks = trouble
shovelhd is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:52 PM
  #50833  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
correct.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:56 PM
  #50834  
Nate552
Senior Member
 
Nate552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 2,620

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
no driving for me, but with the 3 hour wait, coupled with a 6 hour flight, well... i don't want to get myself into any trouble, now do i?
Wells lets break this down.

Start 2 hours before you flight - 2 drinks at 1 an hour pace, maybe 3
You have the 15 minute boarding process where you can't drink, then the take off and getting to an acceptable altitude before the drink cart can start. That's 20- 30 mins. Then 20 minutes for the cart to get to you. So, after your last drink before the flight, you'd have an hour to work some of it out. Then drink 3 drinks over the next 4 hours, 1 hour nap, etc. Then you have the descent, 20 minutes. Taxi time, 20 minutes. So there's 40 minutes to sober up. So, you can do it.
Nate552 is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:58 PM
  #50835  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,252
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post

anyway, i really should take it easy. my destination is 2,600 meters above sea level.
Not heading for clogland just yet?
big john is online now  
Old 01-07-11, 12:58 PM
  #50836  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate552 View Post
Wells lets break this down.

Start 2 hours before you flight - 2 drinks at 1 an hour pace, maybe 3
You have the 15 minute boarding process where you can't drink, then the take off and getting to an acceptable altitude before the drink cart can start. That's 20- 30 mins. Then 20 minutes for the cart to get to you. So, after your last drink before the flight, you'd have an hour to work some of it out. Then drink 3 drinks over the next 4 hours, 1 hour nap, etc. Then you have the descent, 20 minutes. Taxi time, 20 minutes. So there's 40 minutes to sober up. So, you can do it.
you're forgetting the pre-flight champagne.

Originally Posted by big john View Post
Not heading for clogland just yet?
not yet.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 12:59 PM
  #50837  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,255

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
made it to the airport.
checked luggage.
had lunch: mixed salad w/some turkey.
in the lounge.
drinks are free.
holding off.
water and a blueberry white chocolate cookie for now.
will wait another 30 minutes for a bevvy.

currently on water.
Well I know what I'd be doing if I were in that situation. Even if they weren't free I'd have one.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:07 PM
  #50838  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
two o'clock.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:08 PM
  #50839  
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,051

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Turn the ship around.
Get us out of here Waterrockets!
jwible is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:09 PM
  #50840  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
3 hours before my flight leaves. to drink, or not to drink.
Have enough to give you a light buzz.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:11 PM
  #50841  
Greg180
Realist
 
Greg180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,083

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Free drinks? Pre-flight Champagne

Botto is traveling in Bourgeoisie class
Greg180 is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:20 PM
  #50842  
echappist
fuggitivo solitario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg180 View Post
Free drinks? Pre-flight Champagne

Botto is traveling in Bourgeoisie class
apparently, so is shovelhd


Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I prefer lobster.
echappist is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:26 PM
  #50843  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg180 View Post
Free drinks? Pre-flight Champagne

Botto is traveling in Bourgeoisie class
ff upgrade.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 01:37 PM
  #50844  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
ff upgrade.

alas I am stuck with the goats and crying babies in coach when I travel. At least you have a flight and will be traveling in style.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:06 PM
  #50845  
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,051

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's ride was fun. Winds out of the north at 12-15 gusting to 30.
jwible is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:33 PM
  #50846  
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
no driving for me, but with the 3 hour wait, coupled with a 6 hour flight, well... i don't want to get myself into any trouble, now do i?
Enough to get sleepy, but not so much as to get rowdy.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:39 PM
  #50847  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,913

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
I need a good drunk right now.
No you don't.

I'm currently nursing a dos equis though.
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:40 PM
  #50848  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,913

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
A buddy of mine just sent me a pdf on the spread of the stupid lion fish. Damn, I had no idea they were off the Jersey Shore. Probably ****ing snooki.
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:54 PM
  #50849  
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,051

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
A buddy of mine just sent me a pdf on the spread of the stupid lion fish. Damn, I had no idea they were off the Jersey Shore. Probably ****ing snooki.
I think she's a cross between a manatee and a lion fish.
jwible is offline  
Old 01-07-11, 02:55 PM
  #50850  
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,913

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I'm doing a metric century mountain bike event tomorrow. How much beer should I load in the car? And is flying dog porter good enough, or will I be accused of being a barney?
kensuf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.