"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Wanna race like Petacchi?

Reply

Old 05-25-04, 06:13 AM
  #1  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,636

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Wanna race like Petacchi?

ride the 53x11 at 110 RPM's and produce about 800 watts...

those are some amazing numbers...

figure that's the final stretch, but he's probably turning about 90 RPM's in the 11 for a k or so.

sheesh...
roadwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 06:17 AM
  #2  
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops.

I read that as "Pantani"!

Last edited by Devil; 05-25-04 at 06:18 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Devil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 06:41 AM
  #3  
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike
 
BikeInMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: U S of A
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
ride the 53x11 at 110 RPM's and produce about 800 watts...
I think you meant to say 1800 watts...

AP is definitely on his game
BikeInMN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 07:08 AM
  #4  
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I posted that two times and no one was impressed.
Laggard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 01:08 PM
  #5  
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch
 
pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Holyoke, MA
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The top track sprinters are scarier, they're hitting 2000 watts...
pinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 01:30 PM
  #6  
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, but this is after riding 150 - 230 km.
Devil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 03:34 PM
  #7  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,636

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
I think you meant to say 1800 watts...

AP is definitely on his game
calculate it yourself...

wierd address so hopefully it will work...

a 160 pound rider on a 15 pound bike at 40 mph makes mid 800 watts...without a big wind factor..

same rider at 45 mph is about 1200ish watts...or about 1.7 horsepower.
roadwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 03:48 PM
  #8  
Brillig
Bananaed
 
Brillig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philly-ish
Posts: 6,426

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
calculate it yourself...

wierd address so hopefully it will work...

a 160 pound rider on a 15 pound bike at 40 mph makes mid 800 watts...without a big wind factor..

same rider at 45 mph is about 1200ish watts...or about 1.7 horsepower.
According to this link, it's about 1112 watts at 40 mph and 1557 at 45 mph.

Other Calculator
__________________
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey
Brillig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 06:11 PM
  #9  
brent_dube
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and that isn't counting the acceleration factor. (uses more watts)

I've tried that 53x11 thing, but it didn't work out too well.
brent_dube is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 08:12 PM
  #10  
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike
 
BikeInMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: U S of A
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by brent_dube
and that isn't counting the acceleration factor. (uses more watts)

I've tried that 53x11 thing, but it didn't work out too well.
Agreed. To sustain the speed doesn't take nearly what these guys put out ramping it up.

My peak sprinting wattage measured via Powertap is 1300 watts give or take 20 watts (I'm 73Kgs for what it's worth). I can also turn right at 1000 watts for close to 20 seconds. I'm a good sprinter for a Masters 35+ racer and have seen 39-40mph on a number of occasions but I'm no AP... not even close. The only time I even used a 53/11 for a sprint is with a tailwind. AP can probably hold 1400-1500 watts for 15-20 seconds which is unimaginable for us normal guys.

800 watts, I put out 800 watts doing long leadouts tonight on prime laps.
BikeInMN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 05:12 PM
  #11  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,636

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
Agreed. To sustain the speed doesn't take nearly what these guys put out ramping it up.

My peak sprinting wattage measured via Powertap is 1300 watts give or take 20 watts (I'm 73Kgs for what it's worth). I can also turn right at 1000 watts for close to 20 seconds. I'm a good sprinter for a Masters 35+ racer and have seen 39-40mph on a number of occasions but I'm no AP... not even close. The only time I even used a 53/11 for a sprint is with a tailwind. AP can probably hold 1400-1500 watts for 15-20 seconds which is unimaginable for us normal guys.

800 watts, I put out 800 watts doing long leadouts tonight on prime laps.
what a stud

what category did you rise to?

and was this done after 100+ miles of racing, or a roundy round 30 mile crit in a local park?

Last edited by roadwarrior; 05-27-04 at 05:02 AM.
roadwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 06:58 PM
  #12  
Brillig
Bananaed
 
Brillig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philly-ish
Posts: 6,426

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do 800 watts when I sneeze.

__________________
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey
Brillig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 08:02 PM
  #13  
MacMan
Sick ... again
 
MacMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might do 800 watts in the car, but that's about it
MacMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 08:52 PM
  #14  
hair07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ann arbor, mi
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
watts is for lightbulb's, chumps. i do volts. thousands and thousands of millivolts.
hair07 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service