Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Boonen BS

Old 05-16-09, 09:36 PM
  #1  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boonen BS

This is total BS. Three times positive for cocaine would seem to me to be grounds for exclusion. As others have rightly pointed out on this forum, the guy should be seeking the help of professional therapists not professional counsel. I would hope that most people who tested postive for cocaine use would be at least temporarily denied the right to work.

"The Tour de France doesn't want Tom Boonen, but the Quick Step rider is willing to go to court to force the race to accept him. The team, however, has said that it assumes Boonen would not start in the Tour.

Boonen recently tested positive for cocaine in an out-of-competition control.

"We will file a complaint before the court in Paris," Boonen's attorney, Luc Deleu told the Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws. He said that his client has not yet heard anything official from the Tour organizers.

"Cocaine use outside of competition is not doping, no matter how you look at it," Deleu said. "If he is excluded then Boonen would be denied his right to work, based on an arbitrary decision by the Tour organiser ASO."
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-16-09, 09:43 PM
  #2  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the Tour's party, and they can invite whoever they want to. Or not.

He needs to accept the fact that he's lucky to have a career and a team at all, and focus on getting his life straight. To play devil's advocate, maybe he's better off keeping busy by racing rather than having time off and being left on his own... but that doesn't seem to have worked so far.
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 05-16-09, 09:56 PM
  #3  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
It's the Tour's party, and they can invite whoever they want to. Or not.

He needs to accept the fact that he's lucky to have a career and a team at all, and focus on getting his life straight. To play devil's advocate, maybe he's better off keeping busy by racing rather than having time off and being left on his own... but that doesn't seem to have worked so far.
Bingo!
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-16-09, 10:13 PM
  #4  
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,481

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
It's the Tour's party, and they can invite whoever they want to. Or not.

He needs to accept the fact that he's lucky to have a career and a team at all, and focus on getting his life straight. To play devil's advocate, maybe he's better off keeping busy by racing rather than having time off and being left on his own... but that doesn't seem to have worked so far.
If he wasn't a superstar, he would be getting on with his life's work right now. Certainly, QS would have thrown him under the bus.

Sadly, there are different rules for different people and it all comes down to money.

... Brad
bac is offline  
Old 05-16-09, 10:42 PM
  #5  
FreddyBoy
SmackTalk'rExtraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So. Jersey
Posts: 293

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bac View Post
If he wasn't a superstar, he would be getting on with his life's work right now. Certainly, QS would have thrown him under the bus.
Sadly, there are different rules for different people and it all comes down to money.
Money or talent? This is a guy who has a legit shot at the podium.
Sure the team will be better off financially if he can win a few stages and be a contender for the podium. Sad situation any way you slice it.
I guess it comes down to my opinion that this "failed" drug test is not the same as if his failure was for takng PED's.
FreddyBoy is offline  
Old 05-16-09, 10:47 PM
  #6  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
This is a guy who has a legit shot at the podium.
Well, I don't often say this; but meh

__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 12:06 AM
  #7  
enjoi07
Senior Member
 
enjoi07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,981

Bikes: custom caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you r a

enjoi07 is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 03:04 AM
  #8  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a legitimate shot at the TdF podium?? you do realize that there are mountains in that race?

did you mean green jersey?

Last edited by Grumpy McTrumpy; 05-17-09 at 03:13 AM.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 04:03 AM
  #9  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
This is total BS. Three times positive for cocaine would seem to me to be grounds for exclusion. As others have rightly pointed out on this forum, the guy should be seeking the help of professional therapists not professional counsel. I would hope that most people who tested postive for cocaine use would be at least temporarily denied the right to work.

"The Tour de France doesn't want Tom Boonen, but the Quick Step rider is willing to go to court to force the race to accept him. The team, however, has said that it assumes Boonen would not start in the Tour.

Boonen recently tested positive for cocaine in an out-of-competition control.

"We will file a complaint before the court in Paris," Boonen's attorney, Luc Deleu told the Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws. He said that his client has not yet heard anything official from the Tour organizers.

"Cocaine use outside of competition is not doping, no matter how you look at it," Deleu said. "If he is excluded then Boonen would be denied his right to work, based on an arbitrary decision by the Tour organiser ASO."
Cocaine is not a PED. It is not within the purview of cycling's governing body to enforce drug laws that don't pertain to the sport. Deleu is 100% correct.
patentcad is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 04:17 AM
  #10  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,664

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
Money or talent? This is a guy who has a legit shot at the podium.
Sure the team will be better off financially if he can win a few stages and be a contender for the podium. Sad situation any way you slice it.
I guess it comes down to my opinion that this "failed" drug test is not the same as if his failure was for takng PED's.
For the Tour?



Holy cow...
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 04:23 AM
  #11  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,664

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Cocaine is not a PED. It is not within the purview of cycling's governing body to enforce drug laws that don't pertain to the sport. Deleu is 100% correct.
The Tour is an invitational race. When it's invitational one can invite whomever they want. He's not been invited.

They are wasting their time.

Quick Step better watch it. They didn't invite the defending champion's team last year. Quick Step may be riding in some crit someplace in July.

BTW...you are correct about cocaine. However, it is also illegal.
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 04:34 AM
  #12  
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,150

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all the caffeine junkies and frat boy drunks have spoken

BF is so full of high-horse bs, I have to wear rubber boots all year long
YMCA is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 05:15 AM
  #13  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
actually it is classified as a PED in competition by WADA.. out of competition it is not.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 05:24 AM
  #14  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
However, it is also illegal.
Oh jeez RW, everything that's really fun is illegal.
patentcad is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 05:24 AM
  #15  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
we are puritans
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 05:29 AM
  #16  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,664

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
all the caffeine junkies and frat boy drunks have spoken

BF is so full of high-horse bs, I have to wear rubber boots all year long
And anyone is supposed to care, why?
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 06:53 AM
  #17  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
The Tour is an invitational race. When it's invitational one can invite whomever they want. He's not been invited.

They are wasting their time.

Quick Step better watch it. They didn't invite the defending champion's team last year. Quick Step may be riding in some crit someplace in July.

BTW...you are correct about cocaine. However, it is also illegal.
What he said.
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 06:58 AM
  #18  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
all the caffeine junkies and frat boy drunks have spoken

BF is so full of high-horse bs, I have to wear rubber boots all year long
Incorrect. Just a statement that the guy should be getting help with a problem instead of wasting everyone's time with a frivolous law suit.
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 07:05 AM
  #19  
jfmckenna
Tiocfidh r L
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Posts: 5,474

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Who says he has a problem? So he tutes a bit of coke so what. that doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem with it, it just means he has a problem getting caught.
jfmckenna is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 07:07 AM
  #20  
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Posts: 2,970

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^Could be an accurate point. If he had not been caught he would not be facing potential jail time and the loss of his TdF ride. But he was caught, so I believe your point is irrelevant
__________________

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 05-17-09 at 07:18 AM.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 01:54 PM
  #21  
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna View Post
Who says he has a problem? So he tutes a bit of coke so what. that doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem with it, it just means he has a problem getting caught.
anytime drugs or alcohols negatively impacts your life you have a problem. after one DUI you can argue that you don't have a drinking problem but if you get another....guess what?

i'm sure what boonen would love is to keep snortin and partying and have the problems go away (denial)....but it doesn't work that way.

ed rader
erader is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 02:20 PM
  #22  
aloysius
Senior Member
 
aloysius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The TDF organizers successfully excluded last year's Astana team for reasons that were nebulous at best--they'll have no problem keeping Boonen out after a positive drug test. Should they do so? Probably not, but that's a whole other question.
aloysius is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 02:32 PM
  #23  
aloysius
Senior Member
 
aloysius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader View Post
anytime drugs or alcohols negatively impacts your life you have a problem. after one DUI you can argue that you don't have a drinking problem but if you get another....guess what?

i'm sure what boonen would love is to keep snortin and partying and have the problems go away (denial)....but it doesn't work that way.

ed rader
+1
It's not clear how severe Boonen's problem is, but I don't think that there's any doubt that he has one. He knew that he'd likely be tested, he knew that a positive test would carry terrible consequences, and yet he apparently couldn't resist.
aloysius is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 03:09 PM
  #24  
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aloysius View Post
+1
It's not clear how severe Boonen's problem is, but I don't think that there's any doubt that he has one. He knew that he'd likely be tested, he knew that a positive test would carry terrible consequences, and yet he apparently couldn't resist.
severe enough to keep him out of the TDF for two years but not severe enough for his team to sack him. cocaine killed marco pantani and he also swore he had no problem. and he was a TDF champion.

ed rader
erader is offline  
Old 05-17-09, 09:38 PM
  #25  
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,481

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader View Post
anytime drugs or alcohols negatively impacts your life you have a problem. after one DUI you can argue that you don't have a drinking problem but if you get another....guess what?

i'm sure what boonen would love is to keep snortin and partying and have the problems go away (denial)....but it doesn't work that way.

ed rader
Dead on.

He was caught 3 times. Coke only lasts a few days for detection. Do the math. He has a REAL problem.

... Brad
bac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.