"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Time Trial Bars

Reply

Old 11-30-09, 10:27 PM
  #1  
kukusz
A Member
Thread Starter
 
kukusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time Trial Bars

I'm changing my race bike last year (TT frame) into my TT bike. Any ideas as to what alloy bars make sense? The FSA Pro looks decent and cheap, but I have no idea where to look for other options. I just need something that will attach to my 1.125" steerer. Also, I need brake levers and bar end shifters for Shimano, is that as simple as I think it is to find?

Last edited by kukusz; 11-30-09 at 10:30 PM.
kukusz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 12:12 AM
  #2  
Bnjmn
Senior Member
 
Bnjmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You will only be able to find bars that attach to a stem, which will then attach to your 1.125" steerer. It is not a bad compromise.
Any bullhorn bar setup will work, assuming it is compatible with the rest of your parts.
Brake levers and bar end shifters are widely available.
I don't see a mention of aerobars - feel free to TT like Fignon.
Bnjmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 01:06 AM
  #3  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For alloy, look at the VisionTech line. Very good bars and relatively inexpensive. They make fully integrated bars which have a built in stem(not suggested IMO, due to lack of adjustability) and separate basebar/extension combos where you pick your own stem and extension length.
cslone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 01:42 AM
  #4  
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do NOT go with an integrates bar/stem setup, particularly since it sounds as though you are still starting out. You should be able to find the stem of your choice for next to no money. A base bar can be as easy as $30, though I recommend at least something of an aero profile (such as the mentioned vision tech line). brake levers can be anything you want really. Cane creek, vision, shimano, whatever. You can find ugly and very non aero levers for under $10. Happy hunting.
DrWJODonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:41 AM
  #5  
brianappleby
Senior Member?
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,975

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the profile t2 bullhorns/clip on setup I have... they can be had for cheap at performance if you are watchful... With the exception of the super thin vision levers that use derailluer cables, they should work with just about any brake lever/bar end shifter combo out there.
I would suggest adjustability over aero or coolness, atleast until you can dial in the position you like.
brianappleby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:14 AM
  #6  
kukusz
A Member
Thread Starter
 
kukusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll try to find something in the VisionTech line, like the semi-integrated Trimax SI. I'm also going to keep an eye out for bar setups on Ebay, but the advice on not going fully integrated is a good.
kukusz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:24 AM
  #7  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Originally Posted by brianappleby View Post
I like the profile t2 bullhorns/clip on setup I have... they can be had for cheap at performance if you are watchful... With the exception of the super thin vision levers that use derailluer cables, they should work with just about any brake lever/bar end shifter combo out there.
I would suggest adjustability over aero or coolness, atleast until you can dial in the position you like.
I have the vision levers. Their cables are brake gauge but with derailleur ends. I use ordinary brake cables. the ends stick out a bit is all.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 09:32 PM
  #8  
Dalai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,105
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kukusz View Post
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll try to find something in the VisionTech line, like the semi-integrated Trimax SI. I'm also going to keep an eye out for bar setups on Ebay, but the advice on not going fully integrated is a good.
If you have any races run under UCI rules (that is all TT's including local events down under), from 2010 the old visiontech basebars are not within the 3:1 aspect ratio (more like 3.7:1) and will be illegal. I know this as I am replacing my old Vision tech integrated bars with 3T Mistral Pro bars, as they are one of the few legal models available for 2010.
Dalai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:05 PM
  #9  
kukusz
A Member
Thread Starter
 
kukusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dalai View Post
If you have any races run under UCI rules (that is all TT's including local events down under), from 2010 the old visiontech basebars are not within the 3:1 aspect ratio (more like 3.7:1) and will be illegal. I know this as I am replacing my old Vision tech integrated bars with 3T Mistral Pro bars, as they are one of the few legal models available for 2010.
This is certainly not an issue, however how do you measure these ratios?
kukusz is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service