Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

First time and need as much advice

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

First time and need as much advice

Old 06-09-10, 08:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hkboy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 393

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time and need as much advice

hello all,

im looking to participate in my first 'race' but im not sure what to expect except experience. im located in ny and there is a race coming up...i dont know what category i lay in but for sure im no cat 1-3... how can i find out? i dont have a race bike either, its a aluminum road bike with entry level shifters soras... i do bike as often as i can, during weekdays on the trainer and weekend about 100 miles if i have the time.

This is for price money but i was thinking 'what if someone is a cat 2 and enter as a cat 4 or 5? that would be unfair? not sure how everything works in this sport but any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

heres the link...im thinking about doing the brooklyn grand prix: https://www.kissenasports.com/nycs_competitor_info.htm
hkboy313 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 08:14 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
johnybutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,317

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Start here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-a-tip-or-two

You're Cat 5. If you're "really Cat 2" you have to go prove it - start winning.

Go do the race.

The bike is perfectly fine.
johnybutts is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 08:19 AM
  #3  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
First time and need as much advice
paying attention helps.
botto is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 08:41 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hkboy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 393

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the input. i was reading how fast the cat 5s go compared to the 4 because of distance and what not. the speeds are faster than i usually go but reading on the draft seems to bring up the speed. i'm worried about this and i haven't even signed up!
hkboy313 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 08:57 AM
  #5  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,322

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
but reading on the draft seems to bring up the speed.
This comment tells me that you likely have not done many, if any, group rides.

If this is correct, its a seriously bad idea to do the race, for your safety and the safety of others. Read the sticky thread, and follow the recommended progression.

You still have a month, So if you want to give it a go, go ahead and register, but find some group rides and get some experience between now and then.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:05 AM
  #6  
Bulldozer
 
GirlAnachronism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Merlin said, and also, please continue to select NYC races that are happening when I'm out of town.
GirlAnachronism is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:06 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hkboy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 393

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, thanks for the reply. i had no idea what i was getting myself into so i really appreciate the advice. you are right, i've never done group rides before. i'll look into the link in depth.

is this because of how close and fast people ride in packs? and if i dont have the experience, things can go wrong? thanks!

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This comment tells me that you likely have not done many, if any, group rides.

If this is correct, its a seriously bad idea to do the race, for your safety and the safety of others. Read the sticky thread, and follow the recommended progression.

You still have a month, So if you want to give it a go, go ahead and register, but find some group rides and get some experience between now and then.
hkboy313 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:17 AM
  #8  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,846

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
hi, thanks for the reply. i had no idea what i was getting myself into so i really appreciate the advice. you are right, i've never done group rides before. i'll look into the link in depth.

is this because of how close and fast people ride in packs? and if i dont have the experience, things can go wrong? thanks!
Yes, very wrong. Experience won't prevent crashes, but does reduce the chances greatly.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:17 AM
  #9  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
gsteinb is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:18 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hkboy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 393

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
gee thanks...haha i know its a serious issue!
hkboy313 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:36 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
NickDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hkboy313
hello all,

im looking to participate in my first 'race' but im not sure what to expect except experience. im located in ny and there is a race coming up...i dont know what category i lay in but for sure im no cat 1-3... how can i find out? i dont have a race bike either, its a aluminum road bike with entry level shifters soras... i do bike as often as i can, during weekdays on the trainer and weekend about 100 miles if i have the time.
Your bike doesn't matter. To start, you'll be racing Cat5. Even if you have the skill level of a pro, you have to start at 5. Yes, you can expect strong guys in the 5's who should have upgraded already. Disregard this, for it will only make you faster.

Start by going to BikeReg.com and picking a local race. Show up, stay in the back (unless you're actually comfortable in a tight pack) and race. Best of luck to you.
NickDavid is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:59 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hkboy313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 393

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi nickdavide,

is that the policy that everybody starts at cat5? i dont know the rules just yet. im no pro.

also, i saw you're from jersey? do you bike the 9w a lot? i'm wondering if there are group rides i could join there. i live in queens and want to join someone to go across GW and back, not sure how to get to 9W ...maybe you can help me there?


Originally Posted by NickDavid
Your bike doesn't matter. To start, you'll be racing Cat5. Even if you have the skill level of a pro, you have to start at 5. Yes, you can expect strong guys in the 5's who should have upgraded already. Disregard this, for it will only make you faster.

Start by going to BikeReg.com and picking a local race. Show up, stay in the back (unless you're actually comfortable in a tight pack) and race. Best of luck to you.
hkboy313 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 10:04 AM
  #13  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,846

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
hi nickdavide,

is that the policy that everybody starts at cat5? i dont know the rules just yet. im no pro.

also, i saw you're from jersey? do you bike the 9w a lot? i'm wondering if there are group rides i could join there. i live in queens and want to join someone to go across GW and back, not sure how to get to 9W ...maybe you can help me there?
Yes, with a few exceptions for retired racers getting back into racing.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 10:17 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Tennessee.
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
+1 to getting in some group riding experience.

Here's a short series of articles I did for the new racer. You may find it useful.
mkadam68 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 10:18 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
NickDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hkboy313
hi nickdavide,

is that the policy that everybody starts at cat5? i dont know the rules just yet. im no pro.

also, i saw you're from jersey? do you bike the 9w a lot? i'm wondering if there are group rides i could join there. i live in queens and want to join someone to go across GW and back, not sure how to get to 9W ...maybe you can help me there?
Yes, Cat5 is mandatory. You can show up to race without a USA Cycling license, but will pay an extra $5-$10 for this. I recommend going this route to see if you enjoy racing. Then, get yourself a license at USACyling.org. I recall the price being $60.

As for 9W. Yes, I train on 9W regularly, like many others on this board. To get there, use Google Maps and find Strictly Bicycles in NJ. They are just off 9W. There are tons of regulars who meet at the GWB and ride 9W. My recommendation is to find out the route, make your way to 9W and head to Piermont, NY (on the water). Once you're there, turn around and ride home. You'll meet people just by riding along those roads.

We've held your hand enough. Now hit the road, Skippy.
NickDavid is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 11:01 AM
  #16  
fuggitivo solitario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NickDavid
Yes, Cat5 is mandatory. You can show up to race without a USA Cycling license, but will pay an extra $5-$10 for this. I recommend going this route to see if you enjoy racing. Then, get yourself a license at USACyling.org. I recall the price being $60.

As for 9W. Yes, I train on 9W regularly, like many others on this board. To get there, use Google Maps and find Strictly Bicycles in NJ. They are just off 9W. There are tons of regulars who meet at the GWB and ride 9W. My recommendation is to find out the route, make your way to 9W and head to Piermont, NY (on the water). Once you're there, turn around and ride home. You'll meet people just by riding along those roads.

We've held your hand enough. Now hit the road, Skippy.
+1

and don't forget to do your cornering drills. there's a parking lot right under the GW bridge, off of Henry Hudson drive that's perfect for this type of thing. if you can nail down cornering, you should have no problem dealing with most cat 4/5's
echappist is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 01:11 PM
  #17  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
im looking to participate in my first 'race' but im not sure what to expect except experience. im located in ny and there is a race coming up...i dont know what category i lay in
If you've never raced and you're not a woman, you are a cat 5.

Originally Posted by hkboy313
This is for price money but i was thinking 'what if someone is a cat 2 and enter as a cat 4 or 5? that would be unfair? not sure how everything works in this sport but any suggestions or advice is appreciated.
There is no prize money for cat 5. A higher-cat person could theoretically enter with a fake name on a one day license, but what would be the point?
umd is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 05:06 PM
  #18  
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hkboy313
hi nickdavide,

is that the policy that everybody starts at cat5? i dont know the rules just yet. im no pro.

also, i saw you're from jersey? do you bike the 9w a lot? i'm wondering if there are group rides i could join there. i live in queens and want to join someone to go across GW and back, not sure how to get to 9W ...maybe you can help me there?
Discover: Gimbel's and Nyack. PCad will show you the way. oh, and know how to get home on your own. You will need it.
DrWJODonnell is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 08:55 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
wens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make a romantic dinner, get a friend who's of age to get you a bottle of wine, don't drink too much of said bottle of wine, use protection...oh wait, not that first time?

My bad.
wens is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:44 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
alexvpaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Qc,Canada
Posts: 995

Bikes: A trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how are cat working in canada?
alexvpaq is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:46 PM
  #21  
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexvpaq
how are cat working in canada?
huh?
hammy56 is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 09:47 PM
  #22  
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by alexvpaq
how are cat working in canada?
Translation: How does the racer 'Category' system work in Canada?

(i guess)
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 06-10-10, 09:11 AM
  #23  
runnin' down a dream
 
edbikebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,767

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexvpaq
how are cat working in canada?
Start in Cat 5, win a bunch, move up to 4, win a bunch, move up to 3 etc.

Here in Alberta there are no automatic upgrades just from starts - you gotta earn them all.
edbikebabe is offline  
Old 06-10-10, 09:21 AM
  #24  
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
UCI license codes are discipline, gender, nat'l category, ability

so a code of

RME.2 = road, men's, elite, cat 2

or

RMMA.1 = road, men's, master A (30-39), cat 1

and so on.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CanadianBiker32
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
41
08-16-15 01:22 PM
therhodeo
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
28
07-29-15 12:42 PM
globecanvas
Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
14
04-04-13 12:37 PM
knoxtnhorn
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
30
07-22-11 10:15 AM
AcornMan
Road Cycling
5
05-05-10 09:04 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.