Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Old 08-06-10, 09:12 AM
  #226  
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,217

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
My ass hurts. We're going on five years. Specifically the inner thigh where the nerves and vessels start heading down the leg. Oh yeah, and when I go to the poor man aerobars position (or whatever it's called) I last about 1 minute before everything is completely numb. I know no one can help me with this...I just want to share.

Really, has anyone used the MTB saddle - Phenom, to train and race with, on the road? I switched to the Romin about 6 months ago. Its turning out to be another fail. Toupe is the closest to no pain I've ridden, till it starts to sag. I'm hoping the Phenom, which is similar shape, is a little more sturdy and will stay solid without the bend that drives me to the brink.

- signed, tired of buying saddles.

any opinons refugees?
This sounds to me like some of the nerve compression issues I faced before 2 of the discs in my lower spine ruptured and I underwent spinal surgery (not to freak you out or anything).

Seriously, I would suggest taking a look at your alignment and paying a visit to a chiro to see if there is a problem. After 5 years I think it would have become chronic by now but that is outside my area of expertise.
__________________
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook, instagram



Bob Dopolina is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 11:34 AM
  #227  
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 2,263

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of any books or articles (in English, preferably) about the Belgian cyclist Paul Deman and the role of bicycle spies in WWI?
Cromulent is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 03:09 PM
  #228  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cromulent
Anyone know of any books or articles (in English, preferably) about the Belgian cyclist Paul Deman and the role of bicycle spies in WWI?
Might be to esoteric for BF.
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 03:16 PM
  #229  
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 2,263

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Might be to esoteric for BF.
That's why I came to the 33. You never know.
Cromulent is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 04:32 PM
  #230  
Version 7.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,205

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,591 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
My ass hurts. We're going on five years. Specifically the inner thigh where the nerves and vessels start heading down the leg. Oh yeah, and when I go to the poor man aerobars position (or whatever it's called) I last about 1 minute before everything is completely numb. I know no one can help me with this...I just want to share.

Really, has anyone used the MTB saddle - Phenom, to train and race with, on the road? I switched to the Romin (from the Toupe) about 6 months ago. Its turning out to be another fail. Toupe is the closest to no pain I've ridden, till it starts to sag. I'm hoping the Phenom, which is similar shape, is a little more sturdy and will stay solid without the bend that drives me to the brink.

- signed, tired of buying saddles.
any opinons refugees?
Dear Tired of Buying Saddles:

When I got my Retul fit, the fitter said you are not sitting squarely on the saddle. WTF. Yes, it turns out that most sit to one side but I sat even more to one side than normal. It felt weird at first to sit squarely but was easy to correct. My butt, which had been sore for years and through many saddles, felt much better.

Also, from a pedaling technique point of view, try to keep a light touch on the handlebars and steer from the core (almost no hands). Squeeze your cheeks (not face) together and pedal circles. What happens with me is that I stay on top of the pedals much better and slightly unweight the sit bones which relieves pressure on the nerves. And I generate more power in this posture. YMMV

These two things together fixed my ass soreness problem. YMMV
Hermes is online now  
Old 08-06-10, 05:55 PM
  #231  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I do 1 3-4min hard (100%) effort the day before a race, will it negatively impact me in any way? It's too short, NBD, right?
Ygduf is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 06:20 PM
  #232  
Version 7.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,205

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,591 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
If I do 1 3-4min hard (100%) effort the day before a race, will it negatively impact me in any way? It's too short, NBD, right?
Typically, I do a pre race routine the day before that includes a couple of low cadence z3 efforts and 1 to 3 VO2 max efforts (your 3 to 4 minutes). The theory is you want to open up your legs. So it is not that it is NBD or too short to matter but rather for many racers a required effort the day before the race to improve race day performance.
Hermes is online now  
Old 08-06-10, 07:25 PM
  #233  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
So it is not that it is NBD or too short to matter but rather for many racers a required effort the day before the race to improve race day performance.
even better. thanks.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 07:58 PM
  #234  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,878

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 985 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by heckler
I never see full fingers at my races, have I just missed it? The scabs just came off my knuckles from when I crashed early July. My half finger gloves basically disintigrated on impact, though my bibs and jersey held up very well. Are there half fingers that offer more protections than others?
Do people frequently scrape hands in a crash ? I crashed my fair share back in the day, but don't remember ever hurting my hands. Shoulders & hips maybe after rolling. I haven't worn any gloves in a long time but I understand the benefits of short finger gloves while riding.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-06-10 at 08:17 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 08:03 PM
  #235  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,878

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 985 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
+1 but then he Billy can't be too smart, he is a Cowboys fan after all Seriously though, as a mod you have to be at least somewhat cognizant of the difference of tone in this subforum. People have come here asking pretty basic questions that they couldn't get answered without an 70/30 BS to answer level in the road bike forum..basic road bike questions for gods sake. I used to spend a lot of time in the road forum but over the past year it's just completely gone off the rails. Most of the Road Race Forum regulars feel the same way. Many won't post there anymore, guys who have years of experience and could offer solid advice.
I reply to posts that seem to come from genuine questions (the few times I might have something worthwhile to add) ...... skip over most of the rest .... not worth the trouble.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 08-06-10, 08:13 PM
  #236  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,146
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Do people frequently scrape hands in a crash ? I crashed my fair share back in the day, but don't remember ever hurting my hands. Shoulders & hips maybe after rolling.
2 crashes and 1 scraped my knuckles so 50% for me (i think because I was in the drops).

I smash my hands quite a bit on the mtb as well (I did this in a XC race the week after my crash and tore the scabs off my knuckles)
heckler is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 06:05 AM
  #237  
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like this thread and the concept of it, but I am sort of wondering what that sticky is all about now, since I don't go to the 41 much at all these days...

so I vote to kill this thread and go back to being invisible.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 06:28 AM
  #238  
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,217

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
I like this thread and the concept of it, but I am sort of wondering what that sticky is all about now, since I don't go to the 41 much at all these days...

so I vote to kill this thread and go back to being invisible.
I disagree.

The thread title could be changed but the tone of and conduct in this thread is welcoming and helpful. Why would we want to mess with this?
__________________
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook, instagram



Bob Dopolina is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 06:37 AM
  #239  
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,945

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
I like this thread and the concept of it, but I am sort of wondering what that sticky is all about now, since I don't go to the 41 much at all these days...

so I vote to kill this thread and go back to being invisible.
I was wondering what happened as well. It must have been a good fireworks show but all that is left is a bad smell.

Was this thread part of the battleground and then sanitized? If so, then maybe it needs to go away.
mollusk is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 06:46 AM
  #240  
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Posts: 11,058

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I disagree.

The thread title could be changed but the tone of and conduct in this thread is welcoming and helpful. Why would we want to mess with this?
Because like all things that start out well intentioned it will turn to sh it. Eventually one or more of the "Others" will come here just to start something and it will end badly for us. However if this thread keep umd out of the 41 then I'm all for it...he needs to STOP going there.
El Diablo Rojo is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:15 AM
  #241  
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I disagree.

The thread title could be changed but the tone of and conduct in this thread is welcoming and helpful. Why would we want to mess with this?
I like the thread as well, but then again it mainly attracted the more reasonable members of the 41 anyway who sometimes post in the 33 without incident. I don't even know how the "33 vs 41" got started in the first place but both forums are a good balance in BF because you have the option of having adult conversations in the 33 and can post face-palm images galore in the 41 when you have the itch to be silly.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:16 AM
  #242  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,878

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 985 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Because like all things that start out well intentioned it will turn to sh it. Eventually one or more of the "Others" will come here just to start something and it will end badly for us. However if this thread keep umd out of the 41 then I'm all for it...he needs to STOP going there.
Maybe we should have a "UMD Troll" thread, where we post all sorts of troll-ish statements. Then UMD can get all worked up responding to them, and get it out of his system in one spot.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:23 AM
  #243  
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I don't even know how the "33 vs 41" got started in the first place
see that's the problem. there is no 33 vs. 41 battle. It's made-up nonsense, but for some reason that I will probably never comprehend, the mods are treating it like it is real. hence, I vote to just cut and run.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:30 AM
  #244  
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
see that's the problem. there is no 33 vs. 41 battle. It's made-up nonsense, but for some reason that I will probably never comprehend, the mods are treating it like it is real. hence, I vote to just cut and run.
In my mind there never was so I agree, I suppose the mods are just reacting to the apparently frequent reporting of threads to the mods. This thread can go away and I don't think anything would change much because those of us from the 41 who don't want to act like clowns all of the time can come and post here without any problems. The 41 Refugee was a nice vacation from the 41 because it was getting a bit ridiculous in there; kind of like a HS classroom with no teacher in it.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:43 AM
  #245  
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Because like all things that start out well intentioned it will turn to sh it. Eventually one or more of the "Others" will come here just to start something and it will end badly for us. However if this thread keep umd out of the 41 then I'm all for it...he needs to STOP going there.
I don't see an issue with umd or any of "us" going into the 41 as long as its too talk about non racing topics and not to make the people who hang out there angry. I post fairly frequently in the 41 and it is fine as long as you aren't looking for a fight.
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 07:59 AM
  #246  
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Posts: 11,058

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y
I don't see an issue with umd or any of "us" going into the 41 as long as its too talk about non racing topics and not to make the people who hang out there angry. I post fairly frequently in the 41 and it is fine as long as you aren't looking for a fight.
Funny how that rarely works out.
El Diablo Rojo is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 08:02 AM
  #247  
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Funny how that rarely works out.
But who's fault is that?
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 08:08 AM
  #248  
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Posts: 11,058

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y
But who's fault is that?
Both parties...that's the point. You seem to enjoy it to some extent, as evidence you still don't have botto on ignore. I used to get into this silly tit for tat with people on BF, this almost exclusively took place in the 41. I also don't get along with pclown so I've solved this problem by A) not going to the 41 and B) putting pclown on ignore. Now I generally have a much more pleasant BF experience.
El Diablo Rojo is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 08:21 AM
  #249  
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Both parties...that's the point. You seem to enjoy it to some extent, as evidence you still don't have botto on ignore. I used to get into this silly tit for tat with people on BF, this almost exclusively took place in the 41. I also don't get along with pclown so I've solved this problem by A) not going to the 41 and B) putting pclown on ignore. Now I generally have a much more pleasant BF experience.
I enjoy it a little, I'll admit. And I haven't gotten into an argument with botto in a couple of weeks. I had him on ignore for a while, but I ended up having to read his posts to understand the context of half the discussions around here anyway.
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 08:24 AM
  #250  
umd
Banned
Thread Starter
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I was wondering what happened as well. It must have been a good fireworks show but all that is left is a bad smell.

Was this thread part of the battleground and then sanitized? If so, then maybe it needs to go away.
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.
umd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.