Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Old 08-07-10, 11:36 AM
  #276  
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
I only rode 28 miles, at a steady pace. I was out for about 1:45 total, with stops and all. I don't add as much G2 powder as the tub suggests, but maybe I'll start mixing it with a higher concentration.
For 1:45, you should have probably gone through 2 bottles. I normally use the "specialized big mouth" 24 ounce bottles, they're $3 a piece from hammer (well $2.75).



link: https://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...navcat=bottles

and you'll want to take some of these:



https://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks

I'm really hoping the heat breaks soon.
kensuf is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 11:37 AM
  #277  
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?
I love my toupe's. I've never worn one out, at least not that I've noticed. But I've broken two (one broke at the rails, one broke in a crash).

How heavy are you, how many hours a year are you riding?
kensuf is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 11:39 AM
  #278  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,723

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf

I'm really hoping the heat breaks soon.
Thanks! There's a Hammer store here, I'll swing by and pick some up. I love getting out to ride but hate being stuck at home with a killer headache for the rest of the day.

Ditto on the heat. It's brutal.
Velo Gator is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 11:45 AM
  #279  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Also, I'm a fan of the now discontinued E3 saddle. Anybody have any laying around they don't need?
this - I like them a lot, and they were super cheap, but they are getting hard to find recently.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 12:01 PM
  #280  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?
Always? Every time? That would be most disheartening. Do you get headaches if you do any other thing outside for over an hour? Just being in the sun and heat? Is your outdoorsy lifestyle new to you? Allergies?

The other issue that people don't often want to talk about is caffeine. As wonderful as it is, it has a dark side, which is that it's addictive. If you don't feed the need, you get a headache. Some are more prone and sensitive to it than others. For years I was a happy caffeine consumer, then something changed and the headaches were increasingly annoying and the demand for caffeine increased. I tried to avoid the obvious, but ultimately I had to cut it all out. The result? No more headaches.
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 12:10 PM
  #281  
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,190

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.
hairnet is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 12:15 PM
  #282  
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Im real happy with Heed in my bottles...

And my new selle smp saddle is ftw.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 12:36 PM
  #283  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
I honestly thought the 41 v 33 was a gag, a ruse, a wink wink joke. Perhaps most felt the same way, but it only takes one or a few to ignite a firestorm. That's understandable given that we're dealing with words, and the grin behind the words are unseen unless you add a winky.

If this thread is to be renamed, it should reflect the subject, which is sincere questions and answers above what you may find elsewhere. The idea is a specific question, followed by specific answers. No trolling and posturing and what all. Yesterday I would have suggested The 33 Help Desk. Of course, having a general Q&A thread in a racing forum doesn't make sense, while it would make sense in the road forum. If there was a thread like this in the road forum, it would no doubt have to be maintained, or policed. The problem with the road forum oftentimes is there's a lot of opinion tossed around as if fact, plus misinformation (some deliberate), or irrelevant information. In general, I always thought that was just the nature of a public BB, where (hopefully) the cream information seems to rise to the top.

In contrast, the racing forum attracts a fair number of people who have successfully filtered out the noise and misinformation, and most basic road bike issues have long been figured out. So what's left is the heart of cycling, the joys and challenges (faster, further, higher). That's the stuff I want to read and learn about, and then share in kind. If that's perceived as elitist, then that has more to do with the human issues of envy, self esteem and insecurity, which other than mocking and making fun of as an obvious (I thought it was obvious) gag or ruse, isn't likely to be resolved on a bike forum.

Mods, if you feel no more needs to be said about this and the line has been drawn, I'll accept that and zip it.
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 12:41 PM
  #284  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.
Gene Simmons approves your misspelling of my name.
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:01 PM
  #285  
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
Im real happy with Heed in my bottles...

And my new selle smp saddle is ftw.
heed gives me bad gas. seriously.

I vary. Gu Brew, clif sports drink, and dedicated athlete's stuff is what I tend to rotate through if it's going to be a "hard" day. I like hammer's perpetuim for those long slow days. I pick and choose based on what I can find for cheap.

Under 90 minutes and I'm probably just doing water with endurolytes mixed in, but I'll use sports drink if it's going to be longer than that. I like to keep a bottle of water handy to water cool my engine every now and then via a splash to the head -- sports drink over the cabeza just makes a nasty sticky mess. Plus, having a bottle of water gives you an easy way to wash your eyes out.
kensuf is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:01 PM
  #286  
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,945

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
Ditto on the heat. It's brutal.
It's stopped raining in Gainesville. Time to go out for a couple of hours in the air swamp.
mollusk is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:45 PM
  #287  
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kensuf
heed gives me bad gas. seriously.

I vary. Gu Brew, clif sports drink, and dedicated athlete's stuff is what I tend to rotate through if it's going to be a "hard" day. I like hammer's perpetuim for those long slow days. I pick and choose based on what I can find for cheap.

Under 90 minutes and I'm probably just doing water with endurolytes mixed in, but I'll use sports drink if it's going to be longer than that.
just about everything gives me gas...

and yeah i only use it for 2+ hrs or hard efforts, otherwise just water. It was the first thing i found that didnt bother my stomach or taste awful (orange) so ive stuck with it. And the taste is real subtle which i like.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:47 PM
  #288  
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mollusk
It's stopped raining in Gainesville. Time to go out for a couple of hours in the air swamp.
What, are you afraid to get your beard wet?
hammy56 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:54 PM
  #289  
umd
Banned
Thread Starter
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
Thanks! There's a Hammer store here,
Huh, I'd never heard of a Hammer store. That's pretty cool.
umd is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:55 PM
  #290  
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairnet
With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.
I'm no higher level racer but I have found that I am better off without caffeine. That doesn't mean I skip coffee- they make good decaf these days. Caffeine is basically poking your adrenal glands with a stick. Every day. It's not good for you, especially if you have a lot of stress in your life.

I do use a caffeinated gel late in very long rides/races. It works a lot better when you are not habituated.

It wasn't hard to kick caffeine- I just started putting some decaf beans in the grinder every morning, and increased the amount over time.
ericm979 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 01:55 PM
  #291  
umd
Banned
Thread Starter
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm ok with renaming the thread
umd is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:04 PM
  #292  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,723

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Always? Every time? That would be most disheartening. Do you get headaches if you do any other thing outside for over an hour? Just being in the sun and heat? Is your outdoorsy lifestyle new to you? Allergies?

The other issue that people don't often want to talk about is caffeine. As wonderful as it is, it has a dark side, which is that it's addictive. If you don't feed the need, you get a headache. Some are more prone and sensitive to it than others. For years I was a happy caffeine consumer, then something changed and the headaches were increasingly annoying and the demand for caffeine increased. I tried to avoid the obvious, but ultimately I had to cut it all out. The result? No more headaches.
Every time. Edit, sorry, every time on my longer weekend rides. On my daily rides, no, but I don't do quite as much. I'm going to try the electrolyte suggestion next time and see how that goes. I don't do caffeine. I have sinus problems but those are constant... I'm used to that. This headache is pinpointed right between my eyebrows. Cycling is really the only time I'm out in the heat. I run also, but I do it when its much cooler out. I don't get the headaches then.

Originally Posted by umd
Huh, I'd never heard of a Hammer store. That's pretty cool.
Yeah. It's attached to our Trek store. Nice to not have to pay shipping.
Velo Gator is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:06 PM
  #293  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
It wasn't hard to kick caffeine- I just started putting some decaf beans in the grinder every morning, and increased the amount over time.
I tried decaf, but whatever hint of caffeine that remained was enough to kick off the headache impulse telling me to get the "real thing." I basically lived on aspirin and ibuprofen for a week to finally get rid of the headache.

I loved everything about coffee too. Sigh...
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:16 PM
  #294  
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,360

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
Every time. I'm going to try the electrolyte suggestion next time and see how that goes. I don't do caffeine. I have sinus problems but those are constant... I'm used to that. This headache is pinpointed right between my eyebrows. Cycling is really the only time I'm out in the heat. I run also, but I do it when its much cooler out. I don't get the headaches then.
One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:17 PM
  #295  
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.
once you get the magic password and learn the secret handshake, that is.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:21 PM
  #296  
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,920

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.
this is a good point.
kensuf is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:26 PM
  #297  
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My team is out of a trek store, and they stock Heed...im blessed with deep discounts.

meh, id even ride a trek if they really wanted me to...
But theyd have to really really want me to $$.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:48 PM
  #298  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not go overboard on the G2. I always take at least one bottle of straight water. Once you go too syrupy with the gatorade it makes me more thirsty. I once did a 95+*F 30 miles RR with one bottle of G2 and one of water...never again will I mix it to full strength. I do much better with regular water and chews/gels/pills then trying to mix too much in liquid form.
heckler is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 02:53 PM
  #299  
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Posts: 8,850

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guarana Shots. Amazing.
When a hammer goes to the front and lines it out into a headwing and your legs are feeling bollocks, I pop these when I get a chance and the leg pain gets numb and I feel a bit better.

This stuff has my stamp of approval.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline  
Old 08-07-10, 03:03 PM
  #300  
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,647

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by heckler
I would not go overboard on the G2. I always take at least one bottle of straight water. Once you go too syrupy with the gatorade it makes me more thirsty. I once did a 95+*F 30 miles RR with one bottle of G2 and one of water...never again will I mix it to full strength. I do much better with regular water and chews/gels/pills then trying to mix too much in liquid form.
Gatorade is supposed to make you thirsty. That's a design feature, it keeps you drinking enough.
Flatballer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.