Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Old 04-24-14, 10:20 AM
  #1476  
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,865

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Having kids means I miss a lot of group rides that I like doing because we have made it a priority that we sit down to dinner as often as possible. It also means that if there's a race I'd like to do, I need to get it on the family calendar and sign up as soon as possible, otherwise something else will pop up. And it means that most of my training takes place as part of the commute or lunchtime intervals.

It's really just time-management.
caloso is offline  
Old 04-24-14, 10:22 AM
  #1477  
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,672
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Having kids means I miss a lot of group rides that I like doing because we have made it a priority that we sit down to dinner as often as possible. It also means that if there's a race I'd like to do, I need to get it on the family calendar and sign up as soon as possible, otherwise something else will pop up. And it means that most of my training takes place as part of the commute or lunchtime intervals.

It's really just time-management.
+1000. I make the same adjustments but no lunch rides and typically early long commutes. I am spending a bit less time on the bike this race season so I try to sneak out for 1-1.5hrs after work if it means more time at home rather than commuting.
thechemist is offline  
Old 04-24-14, 10:43 AM
  #1478  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 2,076
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 18 month old with tons of health issues and a little girl due a week from today. I'm probably in better cycling shape now than I was before kids. I get considerably less miles but they're way more focused than they used to be.
therhodeo is offline  
Old 04-24-14, 11:10 AM
  #1479  
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,672
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
I have an 18 month old with tons of health issues and a little girl due a week from today. I'm probably in better cycling shape now than I was before kids. I get considerably less miles but they're way more focused than they used to be.
Congrats on the little one!!!
thechemist is offline  
Old 04-24-14, 11:26 AM
  #1480  
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i can't wait to not have kids.

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Comparing heart rates with other riders is even more stupid than comparing power.
but less stupid than comparing yearly mileage.
mike868y is offline  
Old 04-24-14, 11:39 AM
  #1481  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 2,076
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thechemist
Congrats on the little one!!!
Thanks. I'm excited for her to get here and my wife is excited for her to not be in her belly.
therhodeo is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 02:11 PM
  #1482  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
what's the shimano/sram MTB equivalent to 105/rival?
botto is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 02:45 PM
  #1483  
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For sram I guess X5=apex, X7=rival.

I think sram would prefer you to equate 105 with apex, rather than rival.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 03:41 PM
  #1484  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
thanks.
botto is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 08:45 PM
  #1485  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Admittedly dumb question...will 11 speed cranksets work with 10 speed drivetrains? I've wanted to try a 52/36 crankset, and it'll literally be cheaper to buy a 105 5800 52/36 crankset and BB (when they become available) than to buy 52t and 36t chainrings for my Ultegra 6650 crankset.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 08:49 PM
  #1486  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 8,546
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm running a 9000 crank with a 7900 everything else. Didn't even change the bb. Not sure if that is relevant.
valygrl is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 09:16 PM
  #1487  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Admittedly dumb question...will 11 speed cranksets work with 10 speed drivetrains? I've wanted to try a 52/36 crankset, and it'll literally be cheaper to buy a 105 5800 52/36 crankset and BB (when they become available) than to buy 52t and 36t chainrings for my Ultegra 6650 crankset.
not a dumb question. the answer is yes. there are a few subtleties, but in general you will be fine.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 09:27 PM
  #1488  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 523
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, the 41 refers to posers who aren't very fast but insist on the latest and greatest in gadgetry, lightweight components and spandex gear?

Where does the term itself come from?
roadandmountain is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 09:42 PM
  #1489  
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the road riding forum is forum #41

road bike racing forum is #33

that's all I know.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 09:49 PM
  #1490  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
And random fact, the first 4 digits of my usac license are 4133 making it very easy to remember.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 05-17-14, 10:06 PM
  #1491  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 523
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
the road riding forum is forum #41

road bike racing forum is #33

that's all I know.
Aaah. Gotcha. Thanks!
roadandmountain is offline  
Old 05-18-14, 09:14 AM
  #1492  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,878

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 985 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Admittedly dumb question...will 11 speed cranksets work with 10 speed drivetrains? I've wanted to try a 52/36 crankset, and it'll literally be cheaper to buy a 105 5800 52/36 crankset and BB (when they become available) than to buy 52t and 36t chainrings for my Ultegra 6650 crankset.
Yes, there's more flexibility and cross compatibility at the front end of the drivetrain than the labeling would lead you to think.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 05-18-14, 05:33 PM
  #1493  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,575
Liked 686 Times in 434 Posts
Found a crack in the face plate of my Deda stem. It's the second time in about 18 months it's cracked. I think I'm going to go with a different brand stem.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 06:08 AM
  #1494  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,409

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 183 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Found a crack in the face plate of my Deda stem. It's the second time in about 18 months it's cracked. I think I'm going to go with a different brand stem.
I wonder if the stem itself is not square/flat/whatever.

Also, as a sanity check, are you tightening in a "cross" fashion, i.e. upper left, lower right, lower left, upper right, or some variation of that? And are about the same amount of threads/gap showing at each corner (indicating even amount of pressure on plate)?
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 06:27 AM
  #1495  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I wonder if the stem itself is not square/flat/whatever.

Also, as a sanity check, are you tightening in a "cross" fashion, i.e. upper left, lower right, lower left, upper right, or some variation of that? And are about the same amount of threads/gap showing at each corner (indicating even amount of pressure on plate)?
Something else to check...are you using a torque wrench, or just tightening them down till they scream?
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 06:26 PM
  #1496  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,575
Liked 686 Times in 434 Posts
CDR - Yes - I tighten in a criss-cross manner and try to keep the cap evenly spaced off the bar top and bottom.

Revchuck - Yes, I use a torque wrench.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 11:34 AM
  #1497  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,409

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 183 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
CDR - Yes - I tighten in a criss-cross manner and try to keep the cap evenly spaced off the bar top and bottom.

Revchuck - Yes, I use a torque wrench.
I figured but it was worth asking.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 12:48 PM
  #1498  
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A stem is not an expensive piece of hardware, and it plays a critical role in keeping you upright. Replace it.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 12:51 PM
  #1499  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,409

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 183 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
A stem is not an expensive piece of hardware, and it plays a critical role in keeping you upright. Replace it.
+1

Bar, stem, fork, I'm pretty paranoid about them.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 01:22 PM
  #1500  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,575
Liked 686 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
A stem is not an expensive piece of hardware, and it plays a critical role in keeping you upright. Replace it.
New one has been ordered. Going back to Ritchey.

And I should note, when I found a crack in the face plate last summer, I replaced the face plate. This is the second plate to crack.
topflightpro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.