Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

5 cents please (**possible spoilers**)

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

5 cents please (**possible spoilers**)

Old 09-28-11, 09:47 PM
  #6051  
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
What frivolous lawsuits are you talkin bout? (excluding the famous mcd's coffee-on-the-lap-lady)

Besides, if it's really a stupid lawsuit it should be easy for the legal system to see that and throw out the case, right? I say let the courts decide.
Here's a start. http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legal_iss...law_group.html
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 09-28-11, 09:49 PM
  #6052  
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
That's true. You put an egg in a blender and a chicken in a blender and they taste totally different.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 09-28-11, 10:02 PM
  #6053  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
I say let the courts decide.
Only they don't. A lot of suits are decided on an economic basis (it will cost $50k to defend, rather than $20k to payoff), rather than the merits. Courts are loathe to and seldom throw out all but the most egregious or silly lawsuits, and at minimum you have to file and argue a motion for dismissal.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 01:26 AM
  #6054  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Only they don't. A lot of suits are decided on an economic basis (it will cost $50k to defend, rather than $20k to payoff), rather than the merits. Courts are loathe to and seldom throw out all but the most egregious or silly lawsuits, and at minimum you have to file and argue a motion for dismissal.
Ok. Let's get started on stopping frivolous lawsuits then.

But how?
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 03:58 AM
  #6055  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Postcards from the 41.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 06:44 AM
  #6056  
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Posts: 4,436

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bikes are apart and ready to get stuffed in the bike boxes....Now how much other crap can we get in there...I'm guessing not as much as I'd like!

Damn airlines and there luggage limit, I should get a 50lbs bonus since I'm a skinny ass roadie
rbart4506 is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 06:49 AM
  #6057  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
What frivolous lawsuits are you talkin bout? (excluding the famous mcd's coffee-on-the-lap-lady)
I spoke to a law professor about this one because it's so infamous, asked him the details when I had a chance and I remembered to ask.

Ends up the coffee was so hot it MELTED OUT the bottom of the cup. It wasn't spilled. It's kind of like when someone puts 200 psi in a tire and then wonders why the rim blew out, except it was McDonalds putting 200 psi in every single tire it installed. McDonalds decided to have the coffee at some insane temperature (the number escapes me but it was 180 or 200 degrees, and I think the machine had a note on it to keep it at that temp) but they were serving it in cups that melted at a lower temperature. The temperature was determined by the manufacturer of the coffee maker.

Said law professor found that one of his clients was serving coffee at 180 degrees (and the coffee maker manufacturer had a note on the side of the machine saying that water temp should be 180). They immediately adjusted the temps down to 140 deg, which is what it should be.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 06:59 AM
  #6058  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
Damn airlines and there luggage limit, I should get a 50lbs bonus since I'm a skinny ass roadie
Wear like 10 layers onto the plane
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:21 AM
  #6059  
heckler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I spoke to a law professor about this one because it's so infamous, asked him the details when I had a chance and I remembered to ask.

Ends up the coffee was so hot it MELTED OUT the bottom of the cup. It wasn't spilled. It's kind of like when someone puts 200 psi in a tire and then wonders why the rim blew out, except it was McDonalds putting 200 psi in every single tire it installed. McDonalds decided to have the coffee at some insane temperature (the number escapes me but it was 180 or 200 degrees, and I think the machine had a note on it to keep it at that temp) but they were serving it in cups that melted at a lower temperature. The temperature was determined by the manufacturer of the coffee maker.

Said law professor found that one of his clients was serving coffee at 180 degrees (and the coffee maker manufacturer had a note on the side of the machine saying that water temp should be 180). They immediately adjusted the temps down to 140 deg, which is what it should be.
I call BS. I like tea hot and put it in Styrofoam cups boiling all the time. I would expect hot coffee to be at 180, 140 sounds too low I stick my hands in 122 for short periods . The cup may have been damaged thus maybe she deserved some compensation. But I don't think the coffee was too hot nor a melting cup.
heckler is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:47 AM
  #6060  
tombailey
awaiting uci approval
 
tombailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 961

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
What frivolous lawsuits are you talkin bout? (excluding the famous mcd's coffee-on-the-lap-lady)

Besides, if it's really a stupid lawsuit it should be easy for the legal system to see that and throw out the case, right? I say let the courts decide.
As someone who was subjected to what hida is trying to protect you against I'll just let you know that it is EXTREMELY stressful to even begin to be involved in being sued. Even when you, and everyone around you, think the case is baseless.
tombailey is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:47 AM
  #6061  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,124

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heckler View Post
I call BS. I like tea hot and put it in Styrofoam cups boiling all the time. I would expect hot coffee to be at 180, 140 sounds too low I stick my hands in 122 for short periods . The cup may have been damaged thus maybe she deserved some compensation. But I don't think the coffee was too hot nor a melting cup.
Yeah, the National Coffee Assn recommends serving at 180-185F. I think the problem is serving that temp for people driving in cars.

I don't know that anyone would make a coffee cup that couldn't handle coffee standard temps. The wikipedia entry on the case says she spilled it on herself while removing the lid to add cream and sugar.

Last edited by waterrockets; 09-29-11 at 07:54 AM.
waterrockets is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:48 AM
  #6062  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 12,113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
A friend worked for the city and he sorted out lawsuits to help get rid of the truly ridiculous. He said people suing over a bee sting was quite common.
He was there when a bank robber was killed in a shootout with the cops and the robbers mother sued the city for $2million because she projected that's how much he would have made in his career as a bank robber and his small daughter was now deprived of that money.
big john is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:53 AM
  #6063  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 12,113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey View Post
As someone who was subjected to what hida is trying to protect you against I'll just let you know that it is EXTREMELY stressful to even begin to be involved in being sued. Even when you, and everyone around you, think the case is baseless.
Our road club was sued by a woman who came with us and slipped and fell inside a MacDonalds. She sued Mcds and named us because our route slip told her to go there. The court said we couldn't be sued in that case because we weren't 'owned' by anyone, or something along those lines. We got insurance after that anyway.
big john is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 07:57 AM
  #6064  
tombailey
awaiting uci approval
 
tombailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 961

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Yeah, the National Coffee Assn recommends serving at 180-185F. I think the problem is serving that temp for people driving in cars.

I don't know that anyone would make a coffee cup that couldn't handle coffee standard temps. The wikipedia entry on the case says she spilled it on herself while removing the lid to add cream and sugar.
My understanding is that the coffee was hotter than Mcd's "standards" and therefore the burns she received when she spilled the coffee were worse than they would have been had the coffee been at the "correct" temperature.
tombailey is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 08:24 AM
  #6065  
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 6,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Ok. Let's get started on stopping frivolous lawsuits then.

But how?
My ignorance of things lawyerly is pretty vast but what happened to the "loser pay" stuff that reared up many years ago.
wanders is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 08:36 AM
  #6066  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post

Ends up the coffee was so hot it MELTED OUT the bottom of the cup.
I don't think that's actually possible.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 08:36 AM
  #6067  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I see the wiki entry. I've asked the law professor for clarification.

The thing that made McDs lose is that they specified a very high temp, not lower. If it was accidental that's one thing, but to do it on purpose made it their fault.

The law prof hinted that he was in favor of the plaintiff in the case. He normally takes cases where he defends large companies from lawsuits. He's the one that told me waivers in CT are basically useless, after a state court found that waivers didn't exempt a ski place from a tubing death.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 08:59 AM
  #6068  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,902

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4175 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers this weekend and they are the best shoes EVAR! I don't mind the looks or questions because they're great to walk in, my toes feel like they've been liberated.

[/product promotion]
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:08 AM
  #6069  
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,051

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another evening at Piedmont's ER with Mom. I can now read an EKG pretty well. No big deal. V-Tach followed by persistent flutter. Meds brought her RHR down from 115 to 65 in about an hour once the blood work was done.

And you don't want to be wheeled in to rooms 9 and 10 at Piedmont. One is for Criminal Trauma and the other is for Criminal Psych. But boy do they look cool.
jwible is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:24 AM
  #6070  
echappist
fuggitivo solitario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 9,069
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge View Post
I bought a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers this weekend and they are the best shoes EVAR! I don't mind the looks or questions because they're great to walk in, my toes feel like they've been liberated.

[/product promotion]
you want a bento box and a butt rocket launcher to go with that?
echappist is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:26 AM
  #6071  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible View Post
Another evening at Piedmont's ER with Mom. I can now read an EKG pretty well. No big deal. V-Tach followed by persistent flutter. Meds brought her RHR down from 115 to 65 in about an hour once the blood work was done.

And you don't want to be wheeled in to rooms 9 and 10 at Piedmont. One is for Criminal Trauma and the other is for Criminal Psych. But boy do they look cool.
Hope all is well.
Sorry I missed it if you said what happened, but I hope it'll work out fine.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Wear like 10 layers onto the plane
I read that as 10 lawyers. I was like, wait, what?
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:31 AM
  #6072  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,902

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4175 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
you want a bento box and a butt rocket launcher to go with that?

wut
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:51 AM
  #6073  
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,051

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he called you a tri geek.
jwible is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:57 AM
  #6074  
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...10/17/2011...stay at work and go for a lunch ride or go to "Get Motivated" business conference boondoggle for a day with company approval?

http://www.getmotivated.com/city.aspx?a=5341
JohnKScott is offline  
Old 09-29-11, 09:57 AM
  #6075  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boondoggle. It's the offseason.
shovelhd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.