"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Lance to ride Ronde

Old 11-16-04, 10:24 AM
  #1  
lotek 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,690

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance to ride Ronde

Wife sent me this article this morning, nothing on www.cyclingnews.com or any of the
other racing sites yet.
BRUSSELS, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Six-times Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong plans to compete in next year's one-day Tour of Flanders race.
"I want to prove to the world that I can also do this," Armstrong was quoted as saying in Belgian newspaper Het Volk on Tuesday.
His comment was made during an interview to be broadcast on Dutch television in January.
The 257-kilometre Tour of Flanders from Bruges to Meerbeke takes place on April 3. Some of the route is over cobbled roads where riders risk falls.
Armstrong is the only rider in history to win July's Tour de France six times. He suggested earlier this month, though, that he may skip next year's race to chase other ambitions.
His team director said a decision would be made on the Tour de France early in 2005.
German Steffen Wesemann won the 88th Tour of Flanders World Cup race last April.
So, Is lance going for credibility this year?
__________________
Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 10:32 AM
  #2  
Bruco
Wind Breaker
 
Bruco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: In the Dutch mountains
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
So, Is lance going for credibility this year?
Can't pick a better race for earning credibility points than De Ronde. Finally Armstrong begins to show some awareness... Throw in Paris-Roubaix and some other classics and we have a cyclist.
Bruco is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 10:35 AM
  #3  
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
this will be his first race with Discovery Channel, right?
timmhaan is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 10:46 AM
  #4  
lotek 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,690

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
this will be his first race with Discovery Channel, right?
yup.
__________________
Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 11:39 AM
  #5  
brent_dube
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
So, Is lance going for credibility this year?
Ohh, yes, I guess he needs it... since he hasn't been a Real Cyclist for the last decade.
brent_dube is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 07:13 PM
  #6  
CCFISH81
Senior Member
 
CCFISH81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Galveston, Tx
Posts: 678

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea winning the superbowl 6 years straight makes you not a real football team either right? no.... ?
CCFISH81 is offline  
Old 11-16-04, 07:15 PM
  #7  
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer
 
SipperPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dig it... I think Lance knows he's at the end of his career, and really only has 2 or 3 solid years left in him to win big races. I think he wants to ride anything and everything he can... it's be great to see him in Paris-Roubaix, in the mud and the cobbles !! Oh yeah!

jeff
SipperPhoto is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 05:04 AM
  #8  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,637

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
So, Is lance going for credibility this year?
Credibility with whom? Laggard? You know Lance is trying to win him over...
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 09:28 AM
  #9  
jkoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Paso Robles Ca.
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a TDF rider he has all the credibility in the world...as what has been historically defined as a dominant rider in the peloton, some is lacking. Among the fans,riders,and press who have followed the sport for more than the last 10 or so years, more is expected. I expect to see him ride a few classics and then come out for the TDF. This man has a big ego like most champions...he wants to silence some of those critics, and he just might be able to do it. I would not underestimate the sprint or determination of this guy, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him win and place in a classic or two and then make the podium in the TDF.
jkoman is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 09:34 AM
  #10  
lotek 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,690

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never meant to imply that Lance's accomplishments were
not signigicant. But, even Lance admits that he is seen in
a different light due to his lack of riding anything but
the Tour seriously for the last 6 years. (and I'm not going
to argue what races he has or has not done). Its that credibility that
I'm talking about.
As he said on cyclingnews.com
Armstrong is positive about returning to his pre-cancer specialisation. "I want to prove to the world that I can still do it," he said
__________________
Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 10:03 AM
  #11  
Moser
Member
 
Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not that Lance lacks credibility, he has that. What he lacks is debth to be considered among the greatest cyclists ever. He is often compared with Hinault. Here are his palmares:

Tour de France record

Winner: 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 & 1985
Second: 1984, 1986
Winner: Points jersey 1979
Winner: Best Climber 1986

Total Stage Wins: 28

Other major wins

World Pro Road Championship, Sallanches, France: 1980
Giro d'Italia: 1980, 1982, 1985
Vuelta a España: 1978, 1983
Gent-Wevelgem: 1977
Amstel Gold Race: 1981
GP des Nations ITT: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984
Liège-Bastogne-Liège: 1977, 1980
Paris-Roubaix: 1981
Giro di Lombardia: 1979, 1984
Flèche Wallonne: 1979, 1983
Dauphiné Libéré: 1977, 1979, 1981
Tour de Romandie: 1980
Critérium International: 1978, 1981
Quatre Jours de Dunkerque: 1984
Tour du Luxembourg: 1982

What stands out to me are Hinault's wins in the other grand tours. Not to mention his spring classics wins. For Lance to be considered in Hinault's class he needs results in the other grand tours and the spring classics. Noone disputes that Lance is the king of the TdF.
Moser is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 04:52 PM
  #12  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,637

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moser
It's not that Lance lacks credibility, he has that. What he lacks is debth to be considered among the greatest cyclists ever. He is often compared with Hinault. Here are his palmares:

Tour de France record

Winner: 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 & 1985
Second: 1984, 1986
Winner: Points jersey 1979
Winner: Best Climber 1986

Total Stage Wins: 28

Other major wins

World Pro Road Championship, Sallanches, France: 1980
Giro d'Italia: 1980, 1982, 1985
Vuelta a España: 1978, 1983
Gent-Wevelgem: 1977
Amstel Gold Race: 1981
GP des Nations ITT: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984
Liège-Bastogne-Liège: 1977, 1980
Paris-Roubaix: 1981
Giro di Lombardia: 1979, 1984
Flèche Wallonne: 1979, 1983
Dauphiné Libéré: 1977, 1979, 1981
Tour de Romandie: 1980
Critérium International: 1978, 1981
Quatre Jours de Dunkerque: 1984
Tour du Luxembourg: 1982

What stands out to me are Hinault's wins in the other grand tours. Not to mention his spring classics wins. For Lance to be considered in Hinault's class he needs results in the other grand tours and the spring classics. Noone disputes that Lance is the king of the TdF.
This is not so much directed at this post, but this just sets me off, so let me say this gently....the only people that a great athlete in a particular sport truly care to impress, are the living legends that are/were also on that level.
In other words, Lance truly does not give a ***** what the media thinks of his accomplishments, or fans for that matter (because the CATV experts out here have no idea what's involved). But know what? Bernard and Eddy think he's one of the greatest.
And know what else? He won after MULTIPLE ROUNDS OF CHEMOTHERAPY. Drop into your local cancer center at your local hospital for a look at chemo patients. I'll tell you a few stories about running two cousins to chemo and later, radiation, both under 45 years of age and neither one still alive.
That's all that matters.

What I find funny, is that the further away Lance gets from his survival of testicular cancer and 14 tumors in his body, the more people forget what a miracle this is.

Who gives a flying f whether he won as many classics as "fillintheblank" rider? As he has said multiple times, his greatest victory was over cancer. Anybody else in the peloton want to take that one on?

Last edited by roadwarrior; 11-18-04 at 05:03 AM.
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 05:08 PM
  #13  
don d.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Let me say this gently....the only people that an athlete in a particluar sport truly care to impress, are the living legends that are/were also on that level.
In other words, Lance truly does not give a s@@t what the media thinks, or fans for that matter.
Oh, athletes care about what the fans think, especially...

...when it is to provide the potential sponsors with recognition numbers to earn sponsor's bucks,

...and when it is to sell personally endorsed products that offer a direct return,

...and when it is to support the reputation of foundations and other charitable interests that provide huge tax breaks and name enhancement benefits for...

...more sponsorship dollars!

Why do you think celebs have image consultants?

Lance may in fact be interested in his place in history and he may not. He may just be interested in improving his visibility with the "market" in the Benelux and he may not.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if he races Flanders or not.

Last edited by don d.; 11-17-04 at 05:26 PM.
 
Old 11-17-04, 05:41 PM
  #14  
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's true, he's getting to the end of his career,and how many more chances will he have to win races he hasn't won yet? Come to think of it, an american has never won Flanders, have they? Or roubaix. The classics are the domain of the french,belgians and italians.
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 05:44 PM
  #15  
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's great that Lance was able to beat cancer and come back and win six consecutive Tours.

My problem is with his fanboys that think he's the second coming of Christ.
Devil is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 06:03 PM
  #16  
Moser
Member
 
Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
This is not so much directed at this post, but this just sets me off, so let me say this gently....the only people that a great athlete in a particular sport truly care to impress, are the living legends that are/were also on that level.
In other words, Lance truly does not give a ***** what the media thinks of his accomplishments, or fans for that matter (because the CATV experts out here have no idea what's involved). But know what? Bernard and Eddy think he's one of the greatest.
And know what else? He won after MULTIPLE ROUNDS OF CHEMOTHERAPY. Drop into your local cancer center at your local hospital for a look at chemo patients. I'll tell you a few stories about running two cousins to chemo and later, radiation, both under 45 years of age and neither one still alive.
That's all that matters.

What I find funny, is that the further away Lance gets from his survival of testicular cancer and 14 tumors in his body, the more people forget what a miracle this is.

Who gives a flying f whether he won as many classics as "fillintheblank" rider? As he has said multiple times, he greatest victory was over cancer. Anybody else in the peloton want to take that one on?

All I am saying is that based on Lance's own statements, he thinks about his legacy and the fact that he has done the TDF and lettle else for the past five years. I think its great that he is looking to compete in some of the other great races in cycling. As I said before Lance has credibility, and if his disisionto ride the Ronde signals a new direction, thats great.

As for Lance surviviing cancer - that is simply amazing but if anything it made him a better rider. Just look at the results.
Moser is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 06:25 PM
  #17  
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino
 
gcasillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 3,072

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil
My problem is with his fanboys that think he's the second coming of Christ.
Wouldn't that make him the anti-Christ?
gcasillo is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 09:46 PM
  #18  
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone here read Playboy? They took a semi-cheap shot at Lance in the December issue, but it was all in good fun. I'll post it up when I get home.
Devil is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 10:00 PM
  #19  
jkoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Paso Robles Ca.
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for softening that up there roadwarrior...lol
jkoman is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 10:28 PM
  #20  
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, here it is. It's from a section called "Oh, You Shouldn't Have!" regarding thank you notes from celebrities.

"Dear Doc,

Happy Hanukkah, and thanks again for the methylchlorosolophaniminine and the megapropostalizonyninol. The French and the Germans are right, as always. They just have no idea how much I cheat! The other day I cut my finger accidentally and green goo poured out! How cool is that? Also, Sheryl wanted to thank you for that age reversing serum. Who knew she was actually 72 years old? She's a little piece of chicken, ain't she? Here's to another year of fun and games.

Best,

Lance Armstrong"

I thought it was funny.
Devil is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 05:12 AM
  #21  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,637

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don d.
Oh, athletes care about what the fans think, especially...

...when it is to provide the potential sponsors with recognition numbers to earn sponsor's bucks,

...and when it is to sell personally endorsed products that offer a direct return,

...and when it is to support the reputation of foundations and other charitable interests that provide huge tax breaks and name enhancement benefits for...

...more sponsorship dollars!

Why do you think celebs have image consultants?

Lance may in fact be interested in his place in history and he may not. He may just be interested in improving his visibility with the "market" in the Benelux and he may not.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if he races Flanders or not.
But that's not been a problem for him personally (since most all of the reported $25 million he makes/year is from personal deals) or for his team. If we use this forum as a "poll", my reading threads here would make me believe that people think he needs to ride more "other" races...but Lance has said time and again, his sponsors pay him to win the Tour. So that's what he does. Despite what posters on bikeforums want...
Think Barry Bonds has an image consultant?
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 08:30 AM
  #22  
don d.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Think Barry Bonds has an image consultant?
I think he has a posse.
 
Old 11-18-04, 11:55 AM
  #23  
Xtrmyorick
Senior Member
 
Xtrmyorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Walla Walla
Posts: 603

Bikes: Torelli Titanio with full Chorus and Eurus wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
As he has said multiple times, his greatest victory was over cancer. Anybody else in the peloton want to take that one on?

Actually, there are other pro riders who overcame cancer. I've read about a few of them but can't think of their names right now. Point is, there are some out there.
Xtrmyorick is offline  
Old 11-21-04, 02:09 PM
  #24  
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember reading about some spanish cyclist from Euskatel who had the same kind of cancer. I can't remember his name. THis was last year, and apparently he's lucky, they got it early and he should recover fully.

Lance isn't the only one who has had to overcome adversity,he's just the most famous.
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline  
Old 11-22-04, 10:52 AM
  #25  
NSJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's get this straight: Armstrong is the the best cyclist among the current crop, and the 2nd best in his generation.

Behind Big Mig. In fact, way behind. Even though Indurain started this "specialization" process, he found enough time to enter and win big races and tours, as well as set the hour record. Armstrong's season begins and ends in July. Or it has for the last 6 years.

I think he himself realizes this, and if he wants to be considered in the same category with Big Mig, he'd better start entering some other events.
Which is what I think he'll do (probably not the Giro, though; he might get arrested as soon as he touches Italian soil.).
NSJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.