"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Goals for 2012

Old 12-10-11, 04:51 PM
  #76  
homebrewk
yoked
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: S
Posts: 3,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Place in the top 5 in a crit.
homebrewk is offline  
Old 12-10-11, 07:53 PM
  #77  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So after a bunch of friends talked and emailed me over the last few days, I'm readjusting my goals.
1. Convince myself to downgrade.
2. Have fun racing with a highly experienced, highly motivated, extremely unselfish team of Cat 3s.

I'm working on #1.

I realized that as a 2 I'm not going to be having fun hanging on crosseyed in the P12 races. I'd miss the Cat 2 Somerville, okay, but that's it. The other races - M45+, P123s, I can do those as a 3.

And all my close friend teammates are 3s and have no aspirations, at this point, on upgrading. I can't race with them as a 2 (they're generally too young to race as M40+).

I'm no pro, I race to have fun, and fun means tactical machinations with like minded tactically minded racers. I'd spend a lot of time working for others, but that's a huge part of what makes it fun. It's a team show, not a solo one. I'll have to think out loud more in a post.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 12-11-11, 07:29 PM
  #78  
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Posts: 12,343

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Win a Masters crit.
substructure is offline  
Old 12-11-11, 08:18 PM
  #79  
ancker
W**** B*
 
ancker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central IL (Chambana)
Posts: 988

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For racing:
Upgrade to a 4.
Finish (most) races in the pack.
ancker is offline  
Old 12-11-11, 09:01 PM
  #80  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I'm no pro, I race to have fun, and fun means tactical machinations with like minded tactically minded racers.
Downgrading from 2 to 3 at your age, if those are your goals, is a bit of a no brainer in a lot of ways. Not a lot of impact on your racing schedule or goals for Master's stuff. It's actually a lot easier if you haven't been killing the yutes in the 1/2 races... there's a few geezers (I'm probably in that group) that would elicit a bunch of "sandbagger" groans by downgrading.

It would be tough for my ego to take the uno off my license. 2 to 3 would be a lot easier...WR did it and has no regrets.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 12-11-11, 10:05 PM
  #81  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not a strong rider by any means; if I was I'd have been a 2 a long time ago. There are other factors too, but basically I want to have fun in the next few years.

I'm still convincing myself on the downgrade part - it's just a matter of accepting the fact. One of my new teammates was the guy that asked me why I upgraded. I told him I was never a 2 and wanted to have a license with "2" on it. He understood - he took care of that when he was young. He's one of the main reasons I want to downgrade - we've been trying to race together for probably a decade, maybe more, and when the political gears worked out just right, with life situations just right, he joins as a 3 and I'm a (very unsuccessful) 2. If I downgrade we'll have at least 5 guys who will probably show up at every similar race, family/spouses in tow, and all of them would be good "if I only had one teammate" type of teammates.

Throw in two uber strong cross guys (3s on the road who can ride) as wild cards, the less consistent 2-3-4 Cat 3 guys, a few wild card guys (mainly road racers), and it'd be a lot of fun racing.

I basically got my butt handed to me in the races this year. I was off, okay, but it was crazy bad. Although I'm working on it, I don't want to depend on another radical winter of dieting/training to get into shape.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 12-11-11, 10:07 PM
  #82  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal for 2012 is to want to purchase a 2013 racing license.
mollusk is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 12:08 AM
  #83  
agoodale
Senior Member
 
agoodale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small goal...

Just 1 cat 2 upgrade point.
agoodale is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 07:25 AM
  #84  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I'm not a strong rider by any means; if I was I'd have been a 2 a long time ago. There are other factors too, but basically I want to have fun in the next few years.

I'm still convincing myself on the downgrade part - it's just a matter of accepting the fact. One of my new teammates was the guy that asked me why I upgraded. I told him I was never a 2 and wanted to have a license with "2" on it. He understood - he took care of that when he was young. He's one of the main reasons I want to downgrade - we've been trying to race together for probably a decade, maybe more, and when the political gears worked out just right, with life situations just right, he joins as a 3 and I'm a (very unsuccessful) 2. If I downgrade we'll have at least 5 guys who will probably show up at every similar race, family/spouses in tow, and all of them would be good "if I only had one teammate" type of teammates.

Throw in two uber strong cross guys (3s on the road who can ride) as wild cards, the less consistent 2-3-4 Cat 3 guys, a few wild card guys (mainly road racers), and it'd be a lot of fun racing.
I think you know the answer. It makes a whole lot of sense.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 08:29 AM
  #85  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I'm not a strong rider by any means; if I was I'd have been a 2 a long time ago. There are other factors too, but basically I want to have fun in the next few years.

I'm still convincing myself on the downgrade part - it's just a matter of accepting the fact. One of my new teammates was the guy that asked me why I upgraded. I told him I was never a 2 and wanted to have a license with "2" on it. He understood - he took care of that when he was young. He's one of the main reasons I want to downgrade - we've been trying to race together for probably a decade, maybe more, and when the political gears worked out just right, with life situations just right, he joins as a 3 and I'm a (very unsuccessful) 2. If I downgrade we'll have at least 5 guys who will probably show up at every similar race, family/spouses in tow, and all of them would be good "if I only had one teammate" type of teammates.

Throw in two uber strong cross guys (3s on the road who can ride) as wild cards, the less consistent 2-3-4 Cat 3 guys, a few wild card guys (mainly road racers), and it'd be a lot of fun racing.

I basically got my butt handed to me in the races this year. I was off, okay, but it was crazy bad. Although I'm working on it, I don't want to depend on another radical winter of dieting/training to get into shape.
Why don't you do an almost radical one so you can have even more fun in the 3's.
If your goal is to be able to contribute better to everyone else as well, then you'll have more fun doing that if you're in similar form to last year.

Or you can burn yourself over the winter and race the P/1/2 races and hang on for dear life.

Up for you to decide which scenario sounds more fun. Last I checked, you were never the guy with the ego
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 08:36 AM
  #86  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Why don't you do an almost radical one so you can have even more fun in the 3's.
If your goal is to be able to contribute better to everyone else as well, then you'll have more fun doing that if you're in similar form to last year.

Or you can burn yourself over the winter and race the P/1/2 races and hang on for dear life.

Up for you to decide which scenario sounds more fun. Last I checked, you were never the guy with the ego
No that's me
rkwaki is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 10:40 AM
  #87  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,124

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Downgrading from 2 to 3 at your age, if those are your goals, is a bit of a no brainer in a lot of ways. Not a lot of impact on your racing schedule or goals for Master's stuff. It's actually a lot easier if you haven't been killing the yutes in the 1/2 races... there's a few geezers (I'm probably in that group) that would elicit a bunch of "sandbagger" groans by downgrading.

It would be tough for my ego to take the uno off my license. 2 to 3 would be a lot easier...WR did it and has no regrets.
+1
waterrockets is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 12:34 PM
  #88  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Allen (Dallas), TX
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
Follow Doggus around and out sprint him.
New team strategy?
Doggus is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 09:14 PM
  #89  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Why don't you do an almost radical one so you can have even more fun in the 3's.
If your goal is to be able to contribute better to everyone else as well, then you'll have more fun doing that if you're in similar form to last year.
...
Last I checked, you were never the guy with the ego
I have an ego, it just got shelled a long time ago

Seriously though, although I figure I'm an okay guy, fighting for position and doing a field sprint isn't something done without some level of competitive fire, some level of "I want to smash legs today". It also requires significant self belief to line up at the start of a race with 4 or 5 or 6 guys wholly dedicated to bringing you to the line first. I think that self belief defines ego.

I know what you're saying though. And yes, racing is more than just winning, it's part of my life. I don't want to grovel through life.

I'm still thinking semi-radical winter regarding diet. I'm still eating more than 10-15g fat per meal, 30g fat per day, which was my self-imposed limits in winter 2009-2010. At the time I regularly dipped below 1800 cal/day, once eating 500-600 cal at night so I'd be close to 1600-1700 for the day (and I didn't subtract calories for riding). It was crazy, a descent into quasi-anorexia I think. I stopped at 155 lbs because I was too weak to train much, and by the time I came back from SoCal I was 158 and getting stronger weekly.

My SoCal trip is out for 2012 so I have to figure out how to get my goal 30-35 hour week in while in CT. I suppose I could just ride 5 hours a day, but it's easier to do that when it's warm out. Whatever, it means my training will be much less intense compared to past years.

So my semi-radical goal is to go below 160 lbs, try and get some reasonable training in (a 21 hour week sounds pretty tough in CT in Feb), and go to Bethel with pretty much no sprints in my legs.

My best-wish plan is to have a Rock N Road type conversion done to my trainer and go to Bethel with some sprinting legs.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 09:23 PM
  #90  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds like a miserable way to lose weight. I pretty much do the opposite: eat fat, protein, fiber and avoid junk carbs except for high volume or intense days.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 09:46 PM
  #91  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
That sounds like a miserable way to lose weight. I pretty much do the opposite: eat fat, protein, fiber and avoid junk carbs except for high volume or intense days.
Actually it probably is. I'm talking with someone about probably something like what you describe.

I did eat a lot of fiber and protein, but I focused on extremely low fat. Fruits, tons of veggies, turkey/chicken, some carbs. Yogurt. Coffee.

Hm actually that doesn't sound all that bad. Heh.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:02 PM
  #92  
Debusama
Senior Member
 
Debusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 684

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Win the Wenatchee Omnium (Cat-4)
2. Make Cat-3
3. Global domination.

It's got to be in that order because I'll never win Wenatchee as a Cat-3 (probably not a as a Cat-4 either, but I gotta set the bar somewhere), and once I'm the supreme ruler of the earth, I'll have no time for silly bike races.
Debusama is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:22 PM
  #93  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama View Post
1. Win the Wenatchee Omnium (Cat-4)
2. Make Cat-3
3. Global domination.

It's got to be in that order because I'll never win Wenatchee as a Cat-3 (probably not a as a Cat-4 either, but I gotta set the bar somewhere), and once I'm the supreme ruler of the earth, I'll have no time for silly bike races.
Why not? Don't sell yourself short...
rkwaki is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 02:48 PM
  #94  
Debusama
Senior Member
 
Debusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 684

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
Why not? Don't sell yourself short...
Actually, I do think I've got a pretty good chance to win Wenatchee. The course is well tailored to my strengths. I just didn't want to jinx myself by sounding overconfident. I definitely have my cross-hairs on that race for 2012 though.
Debusama is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 04:24 PM
  #95  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
Why not?
Probably because some 15 year-old cat 3 from Canada will come down and lap the field in the crit? At least, that's what happened in the 3's there last year..

Don't sell yourself short...
Seriously though, you are right - when I upgraded to the 3's I figured it would be a few years before I won anything; instead it was only a few months. If you get there by points it means you're strong enough to win something, at least that's how I look at it.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 10:55 AM
  #96  
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 3,432

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- NOT wreck
- Find a local Team and some fun guys
- Upgrade to Cat 3
- Get a Win in a RR
- Get a Podium in a Crit
- Increase FTP to 300w+ (4.8w/kg+)
- Increase 5s Max > 1000w
- Hold steady with < 140lbs and not get sick
- Top 10 in Assault on Mt Mitchell, NC
- Have some fun and win some Fred Rides/Races in the Fall

Mainly just continue to enjoy cycling, race when I can, and be back for 2013.
Creatre is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 06:09 PM
  #97  
JAX_11
Dazed and Confused
 
JAX_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Disney World
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After just getting into cycling in april and doing my first race in august which included a podium in my first road race and upgrading to cat 4 for the state road race championship. My goals for my first full year is;

1) get better with cornering at higher speeds
2) get my upgrade points to cat 3 as soon as I can (if its possible). Then finish out season in cat 4 before upgrading.
3) if I get my upgrade points I will then try some 30+ masters races with my teammates I train with.
4) do good at superweek. It will be my first out of Florida racing.
5) have fun and be safe.
6) see if I can learn something from "BOTTO" seriously.

Last edited by JAX_11; 12-19-11 at 06:13 PM.
JAX_11 is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 06:16 PM
  #98  
Crash716
i got nothing.
 
Crash716's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
Posts: 5,723

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help teammate to CAT 2, Top 5 one race…then go from there.
__________________
14 days...
Crash716 is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 06:23 PM
  #99  
hammy56
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAX_11 View Post
After just getting into cycling in april and doing my first race in august which included a podium in my first road race and upgrading to cat 4 for the state road race championship. My goals for my first full year is;

1) get better with cornering at higher speeds
2) get my upgrade points to cat 3 as soon as I can (if its possible). Then finish out season in cat 4 before upgrading.
3) if I get my upgrade points I will then try some 30+ masters races with my teammates I train with.
4) do good at superweek. It will be my first out of Florida racing.
5) have fun and be safe.

6) see if I can learn something from botto seriously.
fixed.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 06:29 AM
  #100  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,092

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ultimate Cat once again.
carpediemracing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.