"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Zipp race wheel replacement plan!

Old 01-30-12, 08:06 PM
  #1  
JAX_11
Dazed and Confused
Thread Starter
 
JAX_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Disney World
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp race wheel replacement plan!

Does zipp offer a Replacement programs for race wheels that are wrecked or damaged due to course conditions? i've researched some but not having alot of luck. Just curious if anyone has info on how it works and the costs Before I purchase a set of the 303 firecrest tubulars.
JAX_11 is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 08:18 PM
  #2  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 20,966

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
http://www.zipp.com/about/contact.php
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 08:21 PM
  #3  
JAX_11
Dazed and Confused
Thread Starter
 
JAX_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Disney World
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
thanx Ill give them a call tomorrow!
JAX_11 is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 09:58 PM
  #4  
Forza
Con forza e velocitą
 
Forza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 690

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm replying from heresy, but it's my understanding that Zipp rarely warranties anything, I would be really surprised if they have a decent crash replacement program. If you go out to their site they have a bunch of CYA lingo...

Enve, Reynolds, Easton, and Mavic, all clearly state their crash replacement programs and discounted prices on their respective websites (most in their FAQs).

That should speak volumes.
Forza is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 10:04 PM
  #5  
hammy56
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all the wheel choices i truly cant understand why anyone would buy zipps. Unless they got a good deal on a used set...
hammy56 is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 10:19 PM
  #6  
Forza
Con forza e velocitą
 
Forza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 690

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay after some more digging I found this buried via a web search (and it was in a PDF)

As riders ourselves, we know that accidents can happen. When your product is within the warranty period, but is damaged either by yourself or in a typical biking accident, such as a race, we have a No Fault/Crash Replacement Policy. This policy covers a five-year period following the purchase date of your product. We will require you to call and obtain a Return Authorization number (RA#) in this situation as well, and return the product to us. You will then be able to purchase a brand new product for a reduced price to replace your damaged product. We can quote the price to you when you call or e-mail us.

Source PDF
Forza is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 11:26 PM
  #7  
couchweight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: solana beach, ca
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they have a pretty good policy. I would recommend going through your local dealer. Most companies would prefer to deal with a dealer then an individual. They will take care of you as long as you're honest from the get go if you have an issue. I've seen zipp warranty lots of wheels as an act of good faith to help take care of customers.
couchweight is offline  
Old 01-30-12, 11:28 PM
  #8  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,340
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
With all the wheel choices i truly cant understand why anyone would buy zipps. Unless they got a good deal on a used set...
Is 30% off a good enough deal?

Sounds like I may have that option.. never thought I'd go the zipp-way but I just might.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 01:01 AM
  #9  
Forza
Con forza e velocitą
 
Forza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 690

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Is 30% off a good enough deal?

Sounds like I may have that option.. never thought I'd go the zipp-way but I just might.
Depends on the model and year...there are a lot of discounts out there right now on 2010 and 2011 NOS.

FWIW, I almost pulled the trigger on some '11 404s tubies because the price was right, but they changed the hub flanges for 2012 to make them stiffer when standing up on them. I test road the '11s and the added stiffness of the '12s made me pass on the 11's, as I did experience some flex and pad contact. I figured I was still spending a bunch of money discount or not.

I heard from a couple of different dealers (and teammates) of Zipps being prone to"pulled spokes", with this issue being the most common, and the point of contention on most warranty claims / customer issues. Pulled spokes are very hard to prove that it was either a defect, or misuse, and as you would expect, Zipp will state mis-use. Additionally, the minute you mention "race" in the claim, you can forget about it, regardless of the actual scenario. I heard it enough from different sources consistently that decided to skip them and stick with my Enve wheels for a while longer...transversely, I've heard first party of wheel companies bending backwards for customers in warranty claims, regardless of scenario, and I actually had Easton do that for me (on some EC90SL wheels), for example...I think it's a case of Zipp "just getting big", and becoming "the gorilla/fat kid".

I still am lusting for some "Beyond Black" 404s...just can't pull the trigger due to the aforementioned reasons. YMMV.
Forza is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 10:21 AM
  #10  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,340
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
Depends on the model and year...there are a lot of discounts out there right now on 2010 and 2011 NOS.

FWIW, I almost pulled the trigger on some '11 404s tubies because the price was right, but they changed the hub flanges for 2012 to make them stiffer when standing up on them. I test road the '11s and the added stiffness of the '12s made me pass on the 11's, as I did experience some flex and pad contact. I figured I was still spending a bunch of money discount or not.

I heard from a couple of different dealers (and teammates) of Zipps being prone to"pulled spokes", with this issue being the most common, and the point of contention on most warranty claims / customer issues. Pulled spokes are very hard to prove that it was either a defect, or misuse, and as you would expect, Zipp will state mis-use. Additionally, the minute you mention "race" in the claim, you can forget about it, regardless of the actual scenario. I heard it enough from different sources consistently that decided to skip them and stick with my Enve wheels for a while longer...transversely, I've heard first party of wheel companies bending backwards for customers in warranty claims, regardless of scenario, and I actually had Easton do that for me (on some EC90SL wheels), for example...I think it's a case of Zipp "just getting big", and becoming "the gorilla/fat kid".

I still am lusting for some "Beyond Black" 404s...just can't pull the trigger due to the aforementioned reasons. YMMV.
Interesting, thanks for the tips! Fwiw I'm talking about a 30% discount on 2012 models. Maybe Reynolds too.. now I know why I've been using Open Pros for so long, they're dumb & simple, and easy to fix, I like that.

It's all about tradeoffs I guess.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 11:26 AM
  #11  
grwoolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a zipp 404 clincher fail near a spoke hole last year. The carbon was sort of buckled, not sure what happened, but it was making a creaking noise for a while before I could see anything (I thought it was the spokes).

The wheel was only about 6 months old, but I had over 25 races on it and several thousand miles. It was replaced under warranty, no issues. I bought it from wheelbuilder.com. I had my replacement wheel back a week after I sent my damaged one in (including time for ground shipping both ways). They basically turned it around in a day (rebuilt with my original powertap and a new hoop). I was very impressed with the customer service. I'm sure it was helpful that wheelbuilder probably moves a lot of zipp product. I did ask what it would cost if it wasn't covered under warranty (like in a crash situation) and I think it was like $350 for a replacement hoop at "crash" price.
grwoolf is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 11:47 AM
  #12  
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,840
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zipp has replaced 303s for me 2x due to the rim cracking near the spoke hole (originating from the spoke hole and traveling toward the outside of the rim). they were purchased from a shop who is a zipp dealer and it was turned around in a few days both times.
MDcatV is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 12:00 PM
  #13  
hammy56
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im far from a wheel expert. But I know a handful of guys who have zipps, and have had plenty of issues. Ive got over 10k on my Reynolds Strikes after buying them used, and theyve never been looked at...I dont think zipps are necessarily poor wheels, but for the money? meh.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 01:50 PM
  #14  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
zipp has replaced 303s for me 2x due to the rim cracking near the spoke hole (originating from the spoke hole and traveling toward the outside of the rim). they were purchased from a shop who is a zipp dealer and it was turned around in a few days both times.
Not really confidence inspiring that you need to use the service though.

Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Interesting, thanks for the tips! Fwiw I'm talking about a 30% discount on 2012 models. Maybe Reynolds too.. now I know why I've been using Open Pros for so long, they're dumb & simple, and easy to fix, I like that.

It's all about tradeoffs I guess.
Giving away your sponsor discount? Probably not the best idea man...
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 02:25 PM
  #15  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,340
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Giving away your sponsor discount? Probably not the best idea man...
I'm a huge fan of bad ideas.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 02:30 PM
  #16  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha. I was just saying that some shops hate that because it comes close to revealing dealer prices.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 09:54 PM
  #17  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,331

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
I'm replying from heresy, but it's my understanding that Zipp rarely warranties anything, I would be really surprised if they have a decent crash replacement program. If you go out to their site they have a bunch of CYA lingo...
Not my experience. I have a set of Zipp 303's that they have been quite generous with. Bought them in 2003. The303 rims of that era were known to have issues with cracking. around the eyelets.

They gave me new rims under warranty after a couple of years. When the replacement failed 5 years later they didn't warranty the rims, but they gave me new rims for $400 under their crash replacement policy, and gave me new hubs under warranty due to the finish corroding on the original hubs.

So in 2003, I started with 38mm, dimpleless clincher 303's for $1500. Now for that $1500 plus $400, I have updated, dimpled, 44mm tubular 303's with new hubs.

9 years of use, for just an additional $400, I have new updated wheels.

Zipp has been more than reasonable with me.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 10:20 PM
  #18  
JAX_11
Dazed and Confused
Thread Starter
 
JAX_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Disney World
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Not my experience. I have a set of Zipp 303's that they have been quite generous with. Bought them in 2003. The303 rims of that era were known to have issues with cracking. around the eyelets.

They gave me new rims under warranty after a couple of years. When the replacement failed 5 years later they didn't warranty the rims, but they gave me new rims for $400 under their crash replacement policy, and gave me new hubs under warranty due to the finish corroding on the original hubs.



Zipp has been more than reasonable with me.
How do you like those 303s? I'm still on the fence between 303s firecrest tubs and 404s firecrest tubes. I am around 149 lbs and dont want to be blown around to much and zipp says theres only 1 watt difference between 404 and 303. You think the 303 are the best all around for any race we do in Floriduh!
So in 2003, I started with 38mm, dimpleless clincher 303's for $1500. Now for that $1500 plus $400, I have updated, dimpled, 44mm tubular 303's with new hubs.

9 years of use, for just an additional $400, I have new updated wheels.
JAX_11 is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 10:32 PM
  #19  
bostongarden
meow
 
bostongarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hint: check out my BF name
Posts: 5,827

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Haha. I was just saying that some shops hate that because it comes close to revealing dealer prices.
In this day and age, many retailer product costs are open books.
bostongarden is offline  
Old 01-31-12, 10:34 PM
  #20  
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,581
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
303s are incredible wheels... If you get the last two generations, (firecrest & just before) the aero gains are really good, and the weight is still low.

I know a guy selling a set of dimpled 303s clincher for 300, and I'm seriously considering buying them. (even though they are used zipps & I don't especially want clinchers)
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 02-01-12, 12:14 AM
  #21  
crapweasel
Senior Member
 
crapweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weight savings don't seem to be there for the 303s versus the 404s, especially in the clincher. I'd rather have the extra 13mm depth.

Last edited by crapweasel; 02-01-12 at 12:18 AM.
crapweasel is offline  
Old 02-01-12, 12:29 AM
  #22  
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,581
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crapweasel View Post
The weight savings don't seem to be there for the 303s versus the 404s, especially in the clincher. I'd rather have the extra 13mm depth.
if you are referring to my situation, it is only because the price is freakishly good- otherwise I'm a +60mm guy every day of the week.
In general, some folks get freaked out by the idea of tall rims & handle poorly.
Other folks buy the 303 because in the current lineup it is a really, really tough wheel - much more so than the 404. heck, I'd consider the 2012 303 just because it is beefed up & might be enough so to not have to call in a warranty.
Others because they like the way one looks over the others... there's no accounting for taste.

in my mind, anyone who is shopping for high-dollar race wheels and seriously considers wheels smaller than +60mm tubulars is kinda silly - but there are more valid opinions than just mine.
(eg, racers doing Gila, Cascade, etc)
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 02-01-12, 12:45 AM
  #23  
crapweasel
Senior Member
 
crapweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was more speaking in general, especially for zaftig folks such as myself. I actually wish the 404s were a touch deeper, since the jump to 808s is pretty drastic.
crapweasel is offline  
Old 02-01-12, 10:27 AM
  #24  
zigmeister
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a set of brand new unridden Zipp 303 FC tubulars, with Vittoria Corsa CX 320tpi tires already mounted with Vittoria valves in place for $1700 shipped off eBay. It took some time and patience, but deals come along once in awhile.

Whether Zipp would warranty them for some reason, who knows since it wasn't through a dealer?

Anyway, the design for yaw angle really works. Although I weigh 170lbs about, with my older 50mm carbon V shaped-tubulars/clinchers, when a wind gust would hit, you really felt it and it would take you off your line pretty easily. The wheel really acted like a weather vane when the gusts/xwind would hit.

The 303 FC I would describe the feeling as just a slight nudge from the same yaw angle/cross winds when hitting the wheel. The stability is very noticeable compared to regular deep V design rims. The wheel you can tell wants to hold its line and not weather vane.

The light weight, descent stiffness, aero advantage and overall quality I've enjoyed for the last few hundred miles. Furthermore, it design ability to take a hit/jolt with bumps is excellent also.

As you might remember Jax at the Deland RR, coming up the final small climb into the wind, once it flattened out and started to just go downhill slightly, there was quite a stiff little ridge/bump in the road. I never saw it but 1 time to try and lift my front end over that thing like others who saw it. I hit it full weight and hard. You could feel the wheel take the bump/absorb it and flex due to the design to cushion the blow. The feeling with my other deeper V carbon wheels would send the jolt right up into the bike and your body. The tire would take the blow hard also and maybe the bike would hop up in the air.

Zipp designed the FC for Roubaix and the other cobble classics and it is designed to flex. They have videos around showing how the carbon rim during the simulated cobble impacts takes the hit and flexes to absorb and not pinch flat, or damage the rim. Pretty cool slow mo stuff they have.

The older Zipps, no idea, never ridden them.
zigmeister is offline  
Old 02-01-12, 10:30 AM
  #25  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 20,714
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently paid 300 for a replacement 404. My friend just did the same.
gsteinb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.