"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Old 04-15-13, 06:59 AM
  #951  
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,840
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Try and learn as much as you can, Tavish. You are going places.
correct. very impressive!
MDcatV is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 07:44 AM
  #952  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,124

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Nice Tavish!
+1 good aggression, clearly strong fitness
waterrockets is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 08:10 AM
  #953  
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002
 
vandalarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tavish View Post
Saturday - Cat 4/5 - Ronde Van Palouse - At the start line it was F***in snowing a bit and blowing like 20-30mph. Race goes off and I just wait and watch some random dude attacks and I follow 3 wheels back and sit for a bit until we come up a roller with a crosswind so I attack and go clear. I am out there for about two miles and I feel like my rear end is squishy so I stop and check figuring (not the greatest idea but w/e). So the chase group of 5 catch me and I just go and catch onto them and then slowly they widdle off until its just me and tom (fake name). I stay with tom because it is windy and we work together for the first lap and he is really hurting but super nice. Then on the second lap he is struggling so I pull the majority of the time (he agreed to give me the win if we stayed away) because I want some one to give me a little help into the headwind then 20 miles out I just blow him off and take off. I end up rolling up all the Cat 3 masters along with the winner of the 3 masters who was soloing and win by like 6 or more minutes. BTW about 18miles of the race (out of 50) was on dirt roads with gravel and 90% of the dirt riding was into a direct headwind. So it was tough. So basically I was in a two man break for 28miles then solo for 20miles.

After the race I took off from Spokane at 4:00 to head back to Seattle and race on Sunday but they close the pass right before I can go over so I end up sleeping in my car in Cle Elum after waiting till 11pm to decide and sleept for about 4 hrs then I woke up and decided to take off at 4am over the pass and raced at 8:40 on Sunday morning...

Sunday - Cat 4 - Volunteer Park- Attacks go off for some random reason. Then about 20min in the pace eases up and people would randomly launch off the front. A little more than 5 laps to go and I attack and go clear and solo it to the finish. Turns out people were going for primes which I could never hear. Then I got a prime and was happy.

So two wins in two days and 17pts in my first weekend as a 4. My only loses came in sprints and I have been really working on it and I think it will start showing if it comes down to a sprint any time soon.
Nice results. I can assure everyone there is no exaggeration when Tavish claims snow flurries and 20-30 mph winds, and most of the gravel section is straight into the headwind.

Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Try and learn as much as you can, Tavish. You are going places.
Are you planning on driving over this weekend for the NWCCC Championship Race and Citizens Race? No gravel for this course, but if you want to take shovelhd's advice ... I'll try to teach you a few lessons of what it's like to be OTB.
vandalarchitect is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 08:14 AM
  #954  
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002
 
vandalarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect View Post
Are you planning on driving over this weekend for the NWCCC Championship Race and Citizens Race? No gravel for this course, but if you want to take shovelhd's advice ... I'll try to teach you a few lessons of what it's like to be OTB.
I'm half tempted to just leave this as a promise I'll attack and you won't be able to hold my wheel, but who am I kidding? What I meant by it was if you want to hang out with me ... I'll be OTB.
vandalarchitect is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:24 AM
  #955  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


3rd on GC.. I was going to put it in the "suffering thread" because I wanted to win, but I thought that would be a bit much.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:27 AM
  #956  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post


3rd on GC.. I was going to put it in the "suffering thread" because I wanted to win, but I thought that would be a bit much.
Nice Ex..

Who's the guy with the fancy stripes beside you?
rkwaki is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:33 AM
  #957  
johnybutts
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
johnybutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,316

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guy in the middle forgot to take off his "cycling is serious business" face. Good job RX!
johnybutts is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:41 AM
  #958  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, all--
so psyched to read all the good news from battenkill now that i've arrived back at home. it is clear that all the racers who show up here are prepared, which makes the results all the more meaningful.

i was hoping to add my own good result to the mix, but instead it's just a story of how missing 7.4 volts changed my day around.

summary: OTF to OTB, with a twist.

i scoped the course on friday and felt good about the dirt sections. something happened to my bike when it was shipped--i'd get perfect shifts from hard to easy gears, but have missed shifts going from easy to hard. it's a bit bizarre as i have electronic shifting. i tried a new hanger, different cassette, checked the chain...could not figure out what was up so i set it to the best compromise. oh well--not a show-stopper, just an annoyance.

saturday dawned cold but without rain, which was about as good as it was going to get. my inner optimist appreciated the fact that there would not be any dust on the course.

i was one of the last in my field of 100+ to go through the covered bridge. the pace really ramped leading in and i wasn't in the greatest position, but i felt pretty confident in the road ahead. without much trouble i was able to move through the pack and also gain ground on the 1st dirt section. my handling in those areas felt solid relative to much of the competition.

when we made the hard left onto juniper swamp's dirt section, i was in good position and at or near the front. not too long after i'd been given a gap by the group; 3 other riders bridged. no one was truly committed, and when one member of the group said 'the peloton is chasing' it seemed to completely kill the motivation of the others. i tried to encourage them to keep going (chasing does not mean catching) to no avail. since i didn't feel like it was my only card, i decided not to go alone and didn't fight it. i was feeling at ease. i'd noticed on the hard sections i was definitely working, but if the labored breathing of many in the group was not an act then i was doing relatively well.

hit joe bean at a good clip and realized i was unable to shift out of 39x21. uh oh. with a bit of grinding, i managed to come over the top in the first few riders.

here's where we come off the rails. the descent down the back side is fast, but i struggled to get up to speed in 39x21. once descending there was not much to be done, but i lost many places going over the top, and many, many more (60? 70?) when we hit the dirt on ferguson. ferguson was, if my memory is correct, one of the rougher patches of dirt and was a spot where you needed to hammer in a big gear.

looking back on my data i can see i was spinning at 130.....even 150+ for brief periods (6 minutes at 130+!). there's no good time for this to happen, but i went from feeling comfortable at the head of the race to watching the pack ride away.

on the positive side, many helpful riders did offer good advice: "get in the big ring!" yeah...thanks for that one. i'm sure they meant well.

i won't lie: after spinning so fast and going nowhere i thought about getting off my bike and calling it a day. i let myself wallow for about 30 seconds and committed to give whatever i had to the race. i was there to ride hard.

after some more bumps i would get a shift here or there and took advantage of it. i didn't lose battery charge--i was getting no signal from the shifters--couldn't get any lights to go on.

i figured out what it was: i have a custom battery inside my seat post. i have electrical tape over the connection as an added protection. i disconnected the battery for shipping and when i put it back together i just re-used that tape...it was just for one race, and in the past i'd even run it without tape with no problems. i didn't even have a problem when i pre-rode the course. what happened was the sum of all the little vibrations loosened the connectors. i was able to do some hard bunny hops and get a shift here or there.

ah well....it wasn't di2's fault -- it was totally my own mistake in not re-taping it. of course i regret that simple decision now. at least i can put my finger on the source.

for the middle 1/3rd of the race, i thought i might have a chance to re-attach. i made it to within about 250m of the pack at one point (they must have lulled around the 2nd feed zone) but could not close. for the last 1/3rd of the race i knew i was on my own. even if i did miraculously make a catch, i would have been blown for any meaningful result.

rode the final ~38 miles solo, passing the guys who got blown off the back of their respective fields. passed many riders; at most i caught a draft for 10 or 20 seconds here or there. just motored along in TT mode, as aero as i could be. at least i was getting in a hard workout. it was pretty pleasant to be able to hit all the dirt sections hard.

in the end, i finished ~50th. not bad for ~110 starters, but of course not how i expected it to play out.

i later learned that the 2 fields ahead of mine had been neutralized (but not mine). i wasn't thinking about that possibility while i chased, but it is a good lesson. in another situation, one might be able to fight their way back--i've had it work the other way in races where dropped riders got back on.

i LOVED the course (what an AMAZING course for a bike race, even if you removed the dirt elements it would be memorable) and thought the organization was incredible given the amount of riders. i got in a really hard effort

had i not had this issue, i have no idea how things would have gone later in the race, but i suspect i would have been in contention -- at least as far as meeting house. it's all part of bike racing, though.

while it is frustrating to know that this one was completely preventable, i take some comfort in knowing that i was at least able to ride. i could have had an issue that ended my race, like a crash ending in injury. 3 riders i know that decided to race locally this past weekend wound up having issues (1 crash at 50mph; another crash at 40 resulting in a concussion; the 3rd went hypothermic), so it puts things in perspective.

i didn't take the a. schleck route, though at moments i wanted to.

instead of focusing on the negative, i'm grateful i got to ride the course. i wanted to do well, but my "A" races for the season are still ahead of me.

thanks for reading! this is the longest report for essentially a non-result.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:42 AM
  #959  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
Guy in the middle forgot to take off his "cycling is serious business" face. Good job RX!
That's why he has the fancy stripes...
rkwaki is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 09:48 AM
  #960  
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
Aaron Shafer Memorial Road Race.
Anyone know if USAcycling tracks your category(age group) finish or overall? 9th for my catergory but 28th overall...
Ha! I just put 2 and 2 together. Sounds you finished close to a guy I work with. He told me about the moto crash this morning. Nice job!
JohnKScott is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:10 AM
  #961  
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 3,432

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
hey, all--
so psyched to read all the good news from battenkill now that i've arrived back at home. it is clear that all the racers who show up here are prepared, which makes the results all the more meaningful.

i was hoping to add my own good result to the mix, but instead it's just a story of how missing 7.4 volts changed my day around.

summary: OTF to OTB, with a twist.

i scoped the course on friday and felt good about the dirt sections. something happened to my bike when it was shipped--i'd get perfect shifts from hard to easy gears, but have missed shifts going from easy to hard. it's a bit bizarre as i have electronic shifting. i tried a new hanger, different cassette, checked the chain...could not figure out what was up so i set it to the best compromise. oh well--not a show-stopper, just an annoyance.

saturday dawned cold but without rain, which was about as good as it was going to get. my inner optimist appreciated the fact that there would not be any dust on the course.

i was one of the last in my field of 100+ to go through the covered bridge. the pace really ramped leading in and i wasn't in the greatest position, but i felt pretty confident in the road ahead. without much trouble i was able to move through the pack and also gain ground on the 1st dirt section. my handling in those areas felt solid relative to much of the competition.

when we made the hard left onto juniper swamp's dirt section, i was in good position and at or near the front. not too long after i'd been given a gap by the group; 3 other riders bridged. no one was truly committed, and when one member of the group said 'the peloton is chasing' it seemed to completely kill the motivation of the others. i tried to encourage them to keep going (chasing does not mean catching) to no avail. since i didn't feel like it was my only card, i decided not to go alone and didn't fight it. i was feeling at ease. i'd noticed on the hard sections i was definitely working, but if the labored breathing of many in the group was not an act then i was doing relatively well.

hit joe bean at a good clip and realized i was unable to shift out of 39x21. uh oh. with a bit of grinding, i managed to come over the top in the first few riders.

here's where we come off the rails. the descent down the back side is fast, but i struggled to get up to speed in 39x21. once descending there was not much to be done, but i lost many places going over the top, and many, many more (60? 70?) when we hit the dirt on ferguson. ferguson was, if my memory is correct, one of the rougher patches of dirt and was a spot where you needed to hammer in a big gear.

looking back on my data i can see i was spinning at 130.....even 150+ for brief periods (6 minutes at 130+!). there's no good time for this to happen, but i went from feeling comfortable at the head of the race to watching the pack ride away.

on the positive side, many helpful riders did offer good advice: "get in the big ring!" yeah...thanks for that one. i'm sure they meant well.

i won't lie: after spinning so fast and going nowhere i thought about getting off my bike and calling it a day. i let myself wallow for about 30 seconds and committed to give whatever i had to the race. i was there to ride hard.

after some more bumps i would get a shift here or there and took advantage of it. i didn't lose battery charge--i was getting no signal from the shifters--couldn't get any lights to go on.

i figured out what it was: i have a custom battery inside my seat post. i have electrical tape over the connection as an added protection. i disconnected the battery for shipping and when i put it back together i just re-used that tape...it was just for one race, and in the past i'd even run it without tape with no problems. i didn't even have a problem when i pre-rode the course. what happened was the sum of all the little vibrations loosened the connectors. i was able to do some hard bunny hops and get a shift here or there.

ah well....it wasn't di2's fault -- it was totally my own mistake in not re-taping it. of course i regret that simple decision now. at least i can put my finger on the source.

for the middle 1/3rd of the race, i thought i might have a chance to re-attach. i made it to within about 250m of the pack at one point (they must have lulled around the 2nd feed zone) but could not close. for the last 1/3rd of the race i knew i was on my own. even if i did miraculously make a catch, i would have been blown for any meaningful result.

rode the final ~38 miles solo, passing the guys who got blown off the back of their respective fields. passed many riders; at most i caught a draft for 10 or 20 seconds here or there. just motored along in TT mode, as aero as i could be. at least i was getting in a hard workout. it was pretty pleasant to be able to hit all the dirt sections hard.

in the end, i finished ~50th. not bad for ~110 starters, but of course not how i expected it to play out.

i later learned that the 2 fields ahead of mine had been neutralized (but not mine). i wasn't thinking about that possibility while i chased, but it is a good lesson. in another situation, one might be able to fight their way back--i've had it work the other way in races where dropped riders got back on.

i LOVED the course (what an AMAZING course for a bike race, even if you removed the dirt elements it would be memorable) and thought the organization was incredible given the amount of riders. i got in a really hard effort

had i not had this issue, i have no idea how things would have gone later in the race, but i suspect i would have been in contention -- at least as far as meeting house. it's all part of bike racing, though.

while it is frustrating to know that this one was completely preventable, i take some comfort in knowing that i was at least able to ride. i could have had an issue that ended my race, like a crash ending in injury. 3 riders i know that decided to race locally this past weekend wound up having issues (1 crash at 50mph; another crash at 40 resulting in a concussion; the 3rd went hypothermic), so it puts things in perspective.

i didn't take the a. schleck route, though at moments i wanted to.

instead of focusing on the negative, i'm grateful i got to ride the course. i wanted to do well, but my "A" races for the season are still ahead of me.

thanks for reading! this is the longest report for essentially a non-result.
Well at least you had a good time! That's what important! Battenkill is quite an experience!
Creatre is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:18 AM
  #962  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teton, thanks for the Di2 lesson. Great work to battle to stay in it.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:23 AM
  #963  
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
Right, report for Aaron Shafer Memorial RR, P123. 68 miles,...
Sorry to hear about your rotten luck Greg. Keep on pushin' it!
JohnKScott is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:32 AM
  #964  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
Nice Ex..

Who's the guy with the fancy stripes beside you?
Reeder, the current 45-49 WC TT champ. Rode in Europe as a junior with Eddie B. Real deal talent.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:35 AM
  #965  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Teton, thanks for the Di2 lesson. Great work to battle to stay in it.
will tell you a bit more about it separately, but i wanted it to be clear that it was NOT a fault of di2. the shimano connectors lock into place (as does the external battery).

i think it was just a bit of me taking that shortcut when i re-assembled my bike in NY and the right combination of bumps. i've ridden my bike at race-pace over plenty of rougher roads than i found at battenkill. oh well!

there are other connectors that i could have used for my internal battery mount that lock into place--maybe a good thing to consider for your build. i'm not planning to change mine--but i will no longer forego the tape, no matter how short the ride! unfortunate time to learn the lesson, but i'd rather end my race that way than get crashed out.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:36 AM
  #966  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Reeder, the current 45-49 WC TT champ. Rode in Europe as a junior with Eddie B. Real deal talent.
as well as class and humility.

same for Ex. congrats on your result--and no doubt you helped him to his result as well.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:36 AM
  #967  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Reeder, the current 45-49 WC TT champ. Rode in Europe as a junior with Eddie B. Real deal talent.
Good deal...
rkwaki is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:46 AM
  #968  
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoyed the reports guys. Lots of good stuff.
JohnKScott is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:47 AM
  #969  
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,840
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
teton, that suuuucks!

btw - i gave those conti's a stern test the past few weeks. they were really nice, but unfortunately both have punctured and have sealant leaking out all over the place.

REx, nice work for you and your team mate. beer laps? I would have been all in. i was off the front yesterday with another dude, and was more into getting to the line than i was listening to the primes, he took home a case of fat tire, all i took home was a fat midsection :-\
MDcatV is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:53 AM
  #970  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
will tell you a bit more about it separately, but i wanted it to be clear that it was NOT a fault of di2. the shimano connectors lock into place (as does the external battery).
I saw that when I put your bike together. On the new connectors they screw on like a coaxial cable.

I would bring some aircraft safety wire in the future vs. tape, which is still a bit sketchy. I think you have room above the connection to do a tight loop, then a twist down and another loop around the bottom of the fitting.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 10:55 AM
  #971  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,084
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
teton, that suuuucks!

btw - i gave those conti's a stern test the past few weeks. they were really nice, but unfortunately both have punctured and have sealant leaking out all over the place.

REx, nice work for you and your team mate. beer laps? I would have been all in. i was off the front yesterday with another dude, and was more into getting to the line than i was listening to the primes, he took home a case of fat tire, all i took home was a fat midsection :-\
I don't want to hear about beer. Some drunk lifestyler fell off his skateboard and sent it across our field. One guy bunny hopped it, the rest of us swerved to miss it. It was 49/51 to stop the race and go beat the guy to death with it.

Jandro probably knows the guy.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 11:02 AM
  #972  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 20,755
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post


3rd on GC.. I was going to put it in the "suffering thread" because I wanted to win, but I thought that would be a bit much.
how come you don't have a hammer nutrition link in your signature?
gsteinb is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 11:04 AM
  #973  
jsutkeepspining
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more importantly can you get me free hammer ****?
jsutkeepspining is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 11:41 AM
  #974  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
I saw that when I put your bike together. On the new connectors they screw on like a coaxial cable.

I would bring some aircraft safety wire in the future vs. tape, which is still a bit sketchy. I think you have room above the connection to do a tight loop, then a twist down and another loop around the bottom of the fitting.
yeah, i've never had a problem in 2 years of riding, racing and traveling with this setup (even on harsh "roads"), but of course as a result of this i will figure out a better solution. when i removed the post the connectors had shifted only about 4mm total--and based on some tests it looks like the system can tolerate about 3mm of gap and still work properly. i think with the tape it might move, but it shouldn't move more than 1mm or so.

in any event, i'll take your suggestion and look for a more solid solution. i may also solder different (locking) connectors to both of those leads, as well as to my charger.

oh well!

mdV--damn...sorry about those punctures. they were nice tires for sure. maybe that's why conti doesn't give out tubulars with latex tubes to the masses.

was nice to know i was riding strong. my tire and tire pressure choices were excellent for b'kill.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 11:49 AM
  #975  
Jandro 
Senior Member
 
Jandro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Jandro probably knows the guy.
Hey, I stopped skateboarding when I was like 18 and lost contact with most of those guys.

I would have have made #50 in favor of beating him.
__________________
Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.
Jandro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.