Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

NorCal Racing thread

Old 03-19-19, 12:22 AM
  #2051  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hack View Post

The drama should be worked out in private, but it’ll get wrung thorough Facebook court. I was curious if he was going to keep his events USAC, but not sure how that’d work without NCNCA. Seems that’s been answered directly though.

With the RedKite races pulled from the ncnca calendar, there’s still usac racing on all but 3 weekends until mid-October. So, there’s no shortage of racing to be had.

Curious if he tweaks his format for racing at all. Does he keep the same USAC-ish categories? Will he follow the OBRA 40+, 50+, etc model for masters racing?

That part is not clear to me. Do race promoters have to be affiliated with NCNCA to do USAC events?
Maybe it's for the best, was thinking of getting more in to outdoor climbing anyway. lol
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 06:46 AM
  #2052  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,519
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 411 Posts
Any links or context for us non-norcal people who might be interested?
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 09:21 AM
  #2053  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,307
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Any links or context for us non-norcal people who might be interested?
Its in the NCNCA Facebook Group. Essentially a promoter is leaving NCNCA / USAC, not sure of the other details.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 12:09 PM
  #2054  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Any links or context for us non-norcal people who might be interested?
Local race promoter is joining NABRA and leaving USAC/our local association ("NCNCA"), but still holding races. He puts on a lot of office park crits in addition to some other racing.

Even before this he's been a polarizing figure locally for many reasons - some people thing he's somehow ruining racing by putting on a ton of races of varying quality, people think he charges too much as is getting rich (the first part is true, I think, but not the second part).

The new drama is an allegation that he stole money from NCNCA ($4 per racer per race) for some time period - depending on who you ask he's a thief or just a hard-working promoter.

On top of all that he's been blocked from the local FB group run by our LA, which is super lame.

Overall I think joining NABRA is a dumb move, but it sounds like he's had enough with the LA and vice-versa, and is ready to take on this experiment. I talked to him about this on Sunday at the race and he likes the "grass roots" thing NABRA has going on (e.g. you're not paying for a jr to race in Europe), and better infrastructure like FinishLynx cameras. I think for him it's overall cheaper to put on races under the NABRA umbrella.

Fwiw NABRA does have an upgrade "reciprocity agreement", so people will still get upgrade points (or should), but not sure about 2->1 upgrades. Oregon's OBRA is the same deal - not USAC but they have racing and get upgrades and can race nationally.

So here we'll have a hybrid USAC/NABRA thing going on for at least a little while - probably until the NABRA experiment ends and it's all back to normal.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 02:16 PM
  #2055  
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Is there a reason you believe NABRA will lose?
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 02:30 PM
  #2056  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Is there a reason you believe NABRA will lose?
Mostly because it's already lost. It's been around for a long time already and hasn't gained traction.. USAC isn't perfect but NABRA has 5k members, USAC has roughly 60k (active) members.

Sure NABRA can have lower fees and feel more grassroots when it's tiny - but if their goal is to grow to USAC's level of registered members, they'll end up with similar overhead (costs), similar bureaucracy, similar issues as USAC.

As for Red Kite specifically the registration numbers are already relatively low, and I only see this bringing them down - not necessarily for valid reasons, but many if not most people will think upgrade points "don't count" so they'll stop going. Especially since NCNCA is trying to doom the move from the beginning by telling people the upgrade points aren't there, even if they are apparently.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 02:36 PM
  #2057  
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Mostly because it's already lost. It's been around for a long time already and hasn't gained traction.. USAC isn't perfect but NABRA has 5k members, USAC has roughly 60k (active) members.

Sure NABRA can have lower fees and feel more grassroots when it's tiny - but if their goal is to grow to USAC's level of registered members, they'll end up with similar overhead (costs), similar bureaucracy, similar issues as USAC.

As for Red Kite specifically the registration numbers are already relatively low, and I only see this bringing them down - not necessarily for valid reasons, but many if not most people will think upgrade points "don't count" so they'll stop going. Especially since NCNCA is trying to doom the move from the beginning by telling people the upgrade points aren't there, even if they are apparently.

NABRA should advertise as "RACE DIRTY" so I can get my biceps going.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 04:55 PM
  #2058  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,519
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 411 Posts
@mattm Thanks for the details.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 05:24 PM
  #2059  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
NABRA should advertise as "RACE DIRTY" so I can get my biceps going.
This brings up a good point though - where is the NABRA rule book, and are the rules different than USAC?
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 07:59 PM
  #2060  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,802

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 1,775 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
NABRA should advertise as "RACE DIRTY" so I can get my biceps going.
Are you doing a lot of bicep curls these days? Per @mattm, I know "oversize" biceps are indicative, if not conclusive, of doping.
Hermes is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 11:06 PM
  #2061  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Local race promoter is joining NABRA and leaving USAC/our local association ("NCNCA"), but still holding races. He puts on a lot of office park crits in addition to some other racing.

Even before this he's been a polarizing figure locally for many reasons - some people thing he's somehow ruining racing by putting on a ton of races of varying quality, people think he charges too much as is getting rich (the first part is true, I think, but not the second part).

The new drama is an allegation that he stole money from NCNCA ($4 per racer per race) for some time period - depending on who you ask he's a thief or just a hard-working promoter.

On top of all that he's been blocked from the local FB group run by our LA, which is super lame.

Overall I think joining NABRA is a dumb move, but it sounds like he's had enough with the LA and vice-versa, and is ready to take on this experiment. I talked to him about this on Sunday at the race and he likes the "grass roots" thing NABRA has going on (e.g. you're not paying for a jr to race in Europe), and better infrastructure like FinishLynx cameras. I think for him it's overall cheaper to put on races under the NABRA umbrella.

Fwiw NABRA does have an upgrade "reciprocity agreement", so people will still get upgrade points (or should), but not sure about 2->1 upgrades. Oregon's OBRA is the same deal - not USAC but they have racing and get upgrades and can race nationally.

So here we'll have a hybrid USAC/NABRA thing going on for at least a little while - probably until the NABRA experiment ends and it's all back to normal.
Does it say somewhere that they have the "reciprocity agreement"? I wasn't able to find it on their website.

Upgrade is one thing, but the thing about him stealing NCNCA fees is a big thing.
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 12:13 AM
  #2062  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Does it say somewhere that they have the "reciprocity agreement"? I wasn't able to find it on their website.

Upgrade is one thing, but the thing about him stealing NCNCA fees is a big thing.
The NABRA website seems to have minimal actual info - race calendar, rule book, details like working with USAC... blog not updated since 2015? The "reciprocity" thing was from Steve, I dunno if it's actually true.

The fees theft thing.. I haven't seen it proven one way or another. People have said that happened, but unofficially. Or is that official?
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 11:21 PM
  #2063  
Joeyseven
Senior Member
 
Joeyseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northwest
Posts: 423

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did not see this posted any place after I did a few searches . Not a racer.but I live in Auburn and seen this posted on FB. bummer Now someone might quote me and direct me to a post already about the event . that is Ok .LOL

Chico Stage Race Cancelled for 2020

The Chico Stage Race Directors have made the tough decision to cancel the CSR indefinitely for a variety of reasons. We've enjoyed the last 13 years hosting one of the best bike racing events in Northern California and thank everyone who raced over the years. We'd also like to thank all the sponsors and the City of Chico for supporting and allowing us to bring bike racing to the downtown streets of Chico. We hope that another quality NorCal event can be developed in the space the CSR is vacating. Thanks again for supporting and attending our event.
https://www.facebook.com/chicostager...pvRQ6H1WwiZrzh

Last edited by Joeyseven; 09-11-19 at 11:24 PM.
Joeyseven is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 04:39 PM
  #2064  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,307
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven View Post
I did not see this posted any place after I did a few searches . Not a racer.but I live in Auburn and seen this posted on FB. bummer Now someone might quote me and direct me to a post already about the event . that is Ok .LOL



https://www.facebook.com/chicostager...pvRQ6H1WwiZrzh
With Antigravity (who hosted EC, Mt Whitney, Tuttle Creek, etc) MIA other promoters falling off, the road scene is on life support down here. We have UCLA, SDSR, SBRR, and San Luis Rey RR and that's it. Promoters are trying, its just road racing just has too many barriers and costs.

Next season expect a much larger contingent of SCNCA racers, those of us that excel at climbing and rollers pretty much have to go up north for points.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 05:01 PM
  #2065  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,343

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 858 Posts
No ****... bummer. I was looking forward to trying Chico next year.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
NyoGoat
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
44
06-30-19 05:10 PM
UmneyDurak
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
0
12-29-14 02:31 PM
stuntmatt
Training & Nutrition
9
10-28-12 12:48 PM
Scotland Yard
Cyclocross Racing
16
09-14-10 09:46 PM
dmp
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
1
06-09-10 11:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.