Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 03-13-17, 09:16 PM
  #4651  
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Sounds like the solution is to ride without one part at a time, over and over until it stops. Lol. Also, I'm pretty sure I never touch the saddle clipping in or out. Like at the start of a crit, clip in, sprint up to speed, sit down.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 09:30 PM
  #4652  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 703

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Front derailleur cable end hitting the crank arm? Happens to me all the time
wktmeow is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 09:39 PM
  #4653  
scheibo
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
thank you for including you edit reason in the proper form.
i sometimes forget the BF way is to just spew out tons of small posts in quick succession.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
my next suggestion is to ride with different wheels, or did you do that already?
yeah, did that when i was testing the new QRs. switching the wheels entirely was faster than taking out the QRs and putting them back in.

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Sounds like the solution is to ride without one part at a time, over and over until it stops.
pretty much. thats what it would take for me to finally narrow it down the the pedals.

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Lol. Also, I'm pretty sure I never touch the saddle clipping in or out. Like at the start of a crit, clip in, sprint up to speed, sit down.
go take off your saddle and bike around for a bit. i was surprised myself.

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Front derailleur cable end hitting the crank arm? Happens to me all the time
di2, so no cable really. closest thing that could hit would be the FD cage, but theres tons of clearance there.
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 10:05 PM
  #4654  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,761
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Is it a press fit BB?
grolby is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 10:13 PM
  #4655  
scheibo
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stock cervelo s5 BB, says "BBright" on it which appears to be press fit according to google
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 05:56 AM
  #4656  
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try installing a new set of BB bearings. What you are describing sounds like when the BB30 on my backup bike died from a winter of riding. I could have sworn it was the pedals, turned out I just needed a new BB in there.

Edit: Don't forget: Grease is your friend. Lots of it.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 07:03 AM
  #4657  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 416 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the infamous pressed-in bearing creak.

Some people find success using grease, but I have found the only really good solution is Loctite bearing retention compound. And it's not just a matter of applying the compound, but applying the compounds, pressing in the bearings, then leaving the press on there for about 24 hours so everything cures nice and snug.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 07:54 AM
  #4658  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bearings were installed by a professional it is going to take a hair dryer or some other low grade form of heat to break the bond.

To be specific you want Loctite 680 or one of a few other industrial alternatives you aren't likely to find. I'll save you some time by suggesting picking one of the industrial suppliers on ebay that hand bottle (20ml for home use) out of a bulk container. Or just take it to a decent shop who probably took the same route I suggested.
miyata man is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:02 AM
  #4659  
revchuck
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
FWIW, I work in a LBS and our go-to recommendation to fix creaking BB30s is either a Praxis or Wheels Mfg. conversion. The very concept of BB30 sucks balls.
revchuck is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:40 AM
  #4660  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,761
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
FWIW, I work in a LBS and our go-to recommendation to fix creaking BB30s is either a Praxis or Wheels Mfg. conversion. The very concept of BB30 sucks balls.
I have a Wheels Mfg. converter. It helps, but it's not perfect.
grolby is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:43 AM
  #4661  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,906

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 226 Posts
Heavy grease all over the place. Pretend you're applying sun screen on a manatee.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 09:09 AM
  #4662  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Heavy grease all over the place. Pretend you're applying sun screen on a manatee.
Did you know that manatees adjust their buoyancy by farting?
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 09:14 AM
  #4663  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,906

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 226 Posts
Oh man, that's hilarious!
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 10:06 AM
  #4664  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, a real gas.

<groan>
miyata man is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 11:40 AM
  #4665  
mike868y
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
I have a Wheels Mfg. converter. It helps, but it's not perfect.
remember when you were in the market and i told you "i had a wheels mfg and it started creaking and now I have a praxis and it's perfect" and you got a wheels mfg anyway?
mike868y is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:57 PM
  #4666  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,761
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
remember when you were in the market and i told you "i had a wheels mfg and it started creaking and now I have a praxis and it's perfect" and you got a wheels mfg anyway?
I also heard from people who said the Wheels Mfg. adaptor worked perfectly for them, and it was cheaper.
grolby is offline  
Old 03-28-17, 12:39 PM
  #4667  
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a different topic: Just picked up a Quarq DFour spider, as much as powermeters are a thing that are nearly impossible to really review for accuracy outside of lab testing I am happy to report that the unit has an unusually stable zero offset. Post-chainring install it read 5, post 10 miles it read -40, post 90 it read -49 and over the past few rides it has been between -49 and -45. Also, the new Qalvin BLE app is both more dependable and gives you a real-time torque reading from the unit.

If the calibration numbers are anything to go by the new units seem to deal significantly better with temperature swings. Lets just hope that weather sealing is up to snuff unlike the Elsa RS units (Of which I am now sending back ANOTHER one)
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 03-28-17, 11:35 PM
  #4668  
tetonrider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
On a different topic: Just picked up a Quarq DFour spider, as much as powermeters are a thing that are nearly impossible to really review for accuracy outside of lab testing I am happy to report that the unit has an unusually stable zero offset. Post-chainring install it read 5, post 10 miles it read -40, post 90 it read -49 and over the past few rides it has been between -49 and -45. Also, the new Qalvin BLE app is both more dependable and gives you a real-time torque reading from the unit.

If the calibration numbers are anything to go by the new units seem to deal significantly better with temperature swings. Lets just hope that weather sealing is up to snuff unlike the Elsa RS units (Of which I am now sending back ANOTHER one)

did you check the calibration out of the box? how did it match the factory setting?

good to hear that Quarq ZO might be getting more stable (though it's hard to draw any conclusions from just one unit; they've always had some units prove more reliable than others). please do report back after you've had it through some big temp swings and true foul weather. fingers crossed.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 03-29-17, 06:33 AM
  #4669  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Lets just hope that weather sealing is up to snuff unlike the Elsa RS units (Of which I am now sending back ANOTHER one)
This is why I gave up on Quarq and went to SRM. I got tired of sending them back in for warranty repairs.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-29-17, 07:14 AM
  #4670  
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can definitely understand the frustration. I am okay with playing the game though. If it breaks I have a new one, for free, in a week. Sometimes they even give you a free upgrade. Meh \_(ツ)_/
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 03-29-17, 05:25 PM
  #4671  
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hohoho, well I guess we can complain about SRAM all we want, but I just found myself upgraded to a DFour (Another one)! They still get my loyalty
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 03-30-17, 06:05 AM
  #4672  
globecanvas
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This new Wahoo Bolt looks like it might finally be a Garmin Edge killer.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 03-30-17, 06:23 AM
  #4673  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,444

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2620 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
This new Wahoo Bolt looks like it might finally be a Garmin Edge killer.
Indeed. I'm almost willing my 520 to die so I can get one.

My 510 destroyed itself about a week out of warranty last year (deleting my file of Elite Crit Nats in the process. UGH!) and I swore to the Garmin person I was going to buy a Cycleops GPS instead because of how crappy Garmin products and their warranties were. But alas, the Cycleops screens and everything sucked so much, and the Element was like 80 bucks more than what I could get the 520 for, so I caved, loathing myself for my needing certain data fields arranged in a certain way to feel like a real bike rider.

And now the Bolt has arrived, with an additional (claimed) 1 watt aero savings to boot! Oh happy day!
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 03-30-17, 06:48 AM
  #4674  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Indeed. I'm almost willing my 520 to die so I can get one.

My 510 destroyed itself about a week out of warranty last year (deleting my file of Elite Crit Nats in the process. UGH!) and I swore to the Garmin person I was going to buy a Cycleops GPS instead because of how crappy Garmin products and their warranties were. But alas, the Cycleops screens and everything sucked so much, and the Element was like 80 bucks more than what I could get the 520 for, so I caved, loathing myself for my needing certain data fields arranged in a certain way to feel like a real bike rider.

And now the Bolt has arrived, with an additional (claimed) 1 watt aero savings to boot! Oh happy day!
When my Garmin finally crapped out, I just went with SRM. (I'm noticing a trend in my responses.) I like how huge the PC8 screen is. Of course, it's been compared to having an iPad out front, but it's clear and easy to read.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-30-17, 08:22 AM
  #4675  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a NWB Forerunner 305 for $25 last year instead of a SRM/PC8. User replaceable USB rechargeable PM battery not materializing was highly disappointing. PC8 at release, I see a large firmware update recently got released, was inconsistent enough to decide me it was worth waiting out the very fluid PM/head unit market. Without power I saw no need to fight the typical Garmin woes when the one rock solid option still outputs a usable file.

I take it you are reasonably happy with your SRM + PC8, topflightbro? More asking about the GPS and other changes that took place in the PC8.

Last edited by miyata man; 03-30-17 at 08:29 AM.
miyata man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.