Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 08-16-17, 10:44 AM
  #5101  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
...I don't think the new Ultegra 6900 is actually shipping yet...
FWIW, they're calling it 8000 rather than 6900. Availability is spotty in the US but better in the UK, for instance from Merlin.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 11:02 AM
  #5102  
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No kidding, an entirely new prefix and era. Ultegra R8000, R8050, & R8070. A bit hard to see from a consumer standpoint given the massive run of 7xxx DA and 6xxx Ultegra naming conventions all held the same basic design language except 7900/6700. Changes from 6800 to R8000 hardly required retooling much less re-imagining. Or say something massive like 10>11 speed.
miyata man is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 11:02 AM
  #5103  
W**** B*
 
ancker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central IL (Chambana)
Posts: 992

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just built up an Allez Sprint...grumbles to himself about internal cables...wishing Force eTap was a thing...
ancker is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 11:15 AM
  #5104  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Just built up an Allez Sprint...grumbles to himself about internal cables...wishing Force eTap was a thing...
Mine's about done, I thought the internal cables were relatively painless. Of course, I have to re-do the FD cable because I forgot to add an in-line barrel adjuster. It's always something...
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 12:17 PM
  #5105  
W**** B*
 
ancker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central IL (Chambana)
Posts: 992

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
Mine's about done, I thought the internal cables were relatively painless. Of course, I have to re-do the FD cable because I forgot to add an in-line barrel adjuster. It's always something...
Overall they weren't bad. Just didn't account for the lengths I ended up needing.
The Jagwire Race kit wasn't long enough for the full-length rear-brake run. And the chainstay stop-to-rear derailleur housing was longer than I had left over, so I had to scrounge to find some long enough.

I also think where the derailleur cables exit the downtube is kinda tacky. Plus, having eTap on my Propel makes me wish every bike I owned was that easy to set up and tune. But Red eTap is way too spendy for my 'backup' bike.

--- unrelated but related ---
I did an hour on the Allez Sprint yesterday. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I think I might like it better than my Propel. It feels faster and more comfortable. It wasn't noticeably any more harsh of a ride, but that might be helped by recently converting my carbon wheelset to tubeless and running 85/90psi as opposed to the 100/110psi I used to run. As I get more miles on it, maybe I'll swap over the eTap and make the Propel the 'backup' bike.
ancker is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 01:58 PM
  #5106  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 426 Posts
Getting the shift housing the right length was a PIA for me. It would be too long, cut some, too long, cut some, too long, cut some, too short.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 06:16 PM
  #5107  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Overall they weren't bad. Just didn't account for the lengths I ended up needing.
The Jagwire Race kit wasn't long enough for the full-length rear-brake run. And the chainstay stop-to-rear derailleur housing was longer than I had left over, so I had to scrounge to find some long enough.

I also think where the derailleur cables exit the downtube is kinda tacky. Plus, having eTap on my Propel makes me wish every bike I owned was that easy to set up and tune. But Red eTap is way too spendy for my 'backup' bike.

--- unrelated but related ---
I did an hour on the Allez Sprint yesterday. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I think I might like it better than my Propel. It feels faster and more comfortable. It wasn't noticeably any more harsh of a ride, but that might be helped by recently converting my carbon wheelset to tubeless and running 85/90psi as opposed to the 100/110psi I used to run. As I get more miles on it, maybe I'll swap over the eTap and make the Propel the 'backup' bike.
Road Pro XL Complete Kit | Jagwire
redlude97 is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 06:20 PM
  #5108  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
We used the Specialized/Retl X-Y tool to transfer the fit from my Allez Comp Race to the Allez Sprint, that's the first time we used it since we bought the tool. All that remains is cutting the steerer and wrapping the bars and it's done. I'm on a restricted riding schedule due to my recovery from the broken femur, so I probably won't ride it until Saturday's shop ride, and then only for an hour and a half or so. Looking forward to it.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 06:22 AM
  #5109  
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, Chuck
miyata man is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 07:48 AM
  #5110  
Cat 2
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I was really hoping the big s would put out an allez sprint with disc's this year. I love the look and design of that frame, just don't want to buy another rim brake bike.

Also it's so hard to find a used 52 or a 50 for sale online in that frame.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 08:22 AM
  #5111  
W**** B*
 
ancker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central IL (Chambana)
Posts: 992

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
I found this existed after I knew I had problem....

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I was really hoping the big s would put out an allez sprint with disc's this year. I love the look and design of that frame, just don't want to buy another rim brake bike.

Also it's so hard to find a used 52 or a 50 for sale online in that frame.
The Allez Sprint runs small. Check the geometry as a 54 might actually fit you okay.
ancker is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 08:33 AM
  #5112  
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So just got my CLX50s, after replacing the tape with the supplied tubeless plugs they come in at 1370 for the pair. Not too shabby for a set of semi-deep carbon clinchers.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 09:06 AM
  #5113  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
The Allez Sprint runs small. Check the geometry as a 54 might actually fit you okay.
This is true. My Gen 1 DSW (Allez Comp Race) is a 58 and I'm on the upper edge of fitting on it (6'2"). I've got 2cm left on the seatpost to the "do not raise above this line" mark. My Sprint is a 58 too, and I had to go from a 110 to a 120 stem and have 25mm of spacers under the -10 stem using a 15mm riser bar, compared to a 10mm spacer under the -6 stem on the Comp Race. I might have done better with a 61.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 09:41 PM
  #5114  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
NSD

mid-sole cleat mounts on these. I'm old. My feet hurt.



Ygduf is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 05:27 AM
  #5115  
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis
 
Harlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 952

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So jelly. What's the brand? I've been setting cleats up as far back as Shimano shoes will allow, initially trying to make the feet feel better but noticed I could go harder longer w/ lower HR. Not missing anything from top end power as many would suggest but I did notice some rocking on seated sustained climbs. Perhaps less leverage? I was also fried so take that with a grain of salt.
Harlan is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 06:00 AM
  #5116  
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cleat placement .. I have always had my cleats pretty far back, the physical sensation I am used to is feeling like the balls of my feet are sort of hooking over the pedal. On shimano shoes that ends up being almost but not quite as far back as the cleats can go. To improve sprint power I've been trying to ease the position slightly forward this year, but it doesn't really seem to have helped any and it is not as comfortable a sensation. I've hit some power PRs in training but race numbers have been down, if anything. Hard to disentangle from being somewhat undertrained and getting older too, though.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 06:52 AM
  #5117  
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 426 Posts
It's funny, the soles of my Riivos are way more trashed than yours - and I've had to have them replaced two or three times because I cracked them. I'm really not sure how. The uppers look pretty similar to my older pair.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 02:07 PM
  #5118  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
It's funny, the soles of my Riivos are way more trashed than yours - and I've had to have them replaced two or three times because I cracked them. I'm really not sure how. The uppers look pretty similar to my older pair.
yeah, dunno. Mine are ground down around the edge from a crash but otherwise, outside some surface scratching, totally solid.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 10:18 PM
  #5119  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
So just got my CLX50s, after replacing the tape with the supplied tubeless plugs they come in at 1370 for the pair. Not too shabby for a set of semi-deep carbon clinchers.
the plugs are nice; it as nice to see them move those over from the MTB wheel line-up.

are you running them tubeless? which tires? which sealant?

ran mine tubeless ~6mo then have been using tubes. there were lots of tire iterations during testing. i don't think i've seen the production TLR tires.

i'm of 2 minds about the TL thing for road. my bias is that i live in an area where flats are uncommon, as are little cuts--that makes a huge difference.

when one does flat on the road it's super messy getting a tube in, and it's also appreciably harder to get that tire over the rim in any event.

OTOH if one suffers lots of flats, i can see more value.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 04:12 AM
  #5120  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Coincidentally, I just had my first tubeless flat a couple of days ago. Putting in a tube wasn't that messy. Of course, if I hadn't let the Stan's dry out, I probably wouldn't have flatted from that little hole.

That wheel/tire combination, Ultegra 6800/IRC Roadlite, wasn't too bad to get the tire over the rim. Using two tire levers helped getting it off. For me, the bigger issue is breaking the bead loose from the rim, which again wasn't bad the other day. With another combination, Ardennes +/S-Works Turbo tubeless, I was unable to break the bead loose when changing a tire due to screwing up the sidewall, and had to get a young, strong friend to break it loose for me. I'm back to tubes on that wheelset.

I was gifted a set of barely-used Roubaix tubeless tires and will use those on the Ultegra wheelset when the IRCs wear out. After that set's finished, it'll be back to tubes. Like @tetonrider, flats are rare enough where I live that tubeless isn't worth the hassle and expense.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 04:21 AM
  #5121  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
What tubes are you running in your CLX's? I'm using the conti race tubes with 60mm stem and have had more flats (one in a race) since using them then I had on my alum rims with performance bike forte tubes. Tires are conti 4000sII on both set ups.
ntnyln is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 11:22 AM
  #5122  
W**** B*
 
ancker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central IL (Chambana)
Posts: 992

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMG. Running Schwalbe Pro One tires on my November RFSC58s was a ***** to mount. I nearly broke my levers before switching to a bead jack to get them on.
So far pretty happy with the tubeless setup though. Been through some gnarly gravel and broken roads and no issues.

I do not look forward to fixing a flat if the sealant won't fix it. I'll probably be calling a sag...
ancker is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 02:33 PM
  #5123  
jsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 606

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
OMG. Running Schwalbe Pro One tires on my November RFSC58s was a ***** to mount. I nearly broke my levers before switching to a bead jack to get them on.
So far pretty happy with the tubeless setup though. Been through some gnarly gravel and broken roads and no issues.

I do not look forward to fixing a flat if the sealant won't fix it. I'll probably be calling a sag...
Surprised to hear that. The Pro One's are easy as far as tubeless goes, in fact I found them to be about the same as regular clinchers (actually better than some). Those rims must run a little big, you'll probably have much more trouble if you ever try to mount something like the Corsa Speeds on them.
jsk is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 05:43 PM
  #5124  
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
the plugs are nice; it as nice to see them move those over from the MTB wheel line-up.

are you running them tubeless? which tires? which sealant?

ran mine tubeless ~6mo then have been using tubes. there were lots of tire iterations during testing. i don't think i've seen the production TLR tires.

i'm of 2 minds about the TL thing for road. my bias is that i live in an area where flats are uncommon, as are little cuts--that makes a huge difference.

when one does flat on the road it's super messy getting a tube in, and it's also appreciably harder to get that tire over the rim in any event.

OTOH if one suffers lots of flats, i can see more value.
Actually running tubes at the moment. My plan is to install some Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless tires before GMSR with some Stan's. I have to say, these wheels definitely feel more impacted by cross winds than my CLX64s, definitely feel more squirrely.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 08-19-17, 05:48 PM
  #5125  
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
was at the LBS yesterday for some new socks (super-pro white Specialized), and they showed me a new ultra-light Tarmac. Maybe its not new but I hadnt heard of it.

It weighs like 13 lbs - they said the new paint job saves 1.5 lbs?? Anyway, not something I need, Id still go slow up hills. But it felt like a paperweight!
mattm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.