"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 03-11-17, 07:25 AM
  #17651  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Crits are easy and flat road races are nothing but a pain in the ass holding me up from walking onto the podium."

LOL, I'd be stricken if that was applicable. Healthy reminders all around.

Speaking of that guy quoted above. For all his latching onto your and UMD's coattails did he ever win anything other than group rides and Strava?

Last edited by miyata man; 03-13-17 at 05:42 AM.
miyata man is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 10:36 AM
  #17652  
globecanvas
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,294
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts



Cheers to not putting my skis in the attic yet. Jeers to the daffodils blooming in my yard!
globecanvas is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 10:38 AM
  #17653  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 10:44 AM
  #17654  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Complaining about snow should count as cross training.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 12:36 PM
  #17655  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,224

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Calling for 12-18 where I live with 18-24 where I work.

Could be as much as 24 in each place though. Welcome to Spring.
Flatballer is online now  
Old 03-13-17, 02:14 PM
  #17656  
scheibo 
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jumped into a fast 5K running race this weekend for my first race after recovering from the most recent stress fracture I got in October. I've done about a grand total of ~3 workouts in that time, so I was pretty much trying to see how well bike fitness would transfer to the roads. In the end my time was not that far off from what I expected, but the race was pretty demoralizing as the last half was painful and I got passed by 6 guys in the last quarter mile, meaning my team only placed 7 in the top 11 instead of 8 in the top 12. With my form from the fall, given how deep the race was I probably could have hoped to finish maybe 9th or 10th at best, which wasn't completely infeasible yesterday, so I guess I should view that as a positive.

The most interesting part is that usually, when the going gets tough in a race, be it cycling or running, I usually fall back on visualizing the last 200m of a running race on the track, and that's the motivation I use to keep focused. However, sometime in the last 6 months that visualization seems to have changed, because I don't place myself in a running race anymore, but in a bike race. I don't know if that's just because I've been doing a lot more biking workouts and races than running lately, or if its a monumental shift in my underlying identity as an athlete, but it was surprising for me to realize.
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 02:46 PM
  #17657  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheibo View Post
Jumped into a fast 5K running race this weekend for my first race after recovering from the most recent stress fracture I got in October. I've done about a grand total of ~3 workouts in that time, so I was pretty much trying to see how well bike fitness would transfer to the roads. In the end my time was not that far off from what I expected, but the race was pretty demoralizing as the last half was painful and I got passed by 6 guys in the last quarter mile, meaning my team only placed 7 in the top 11 instead of 8 in the top 12. With my form from the fall, given how deep the race was I probably could have hoped to finish maybe 9th or 10th at best, which wasn't completely infeasible yesterday, so I guess I should view that as a positive.

The most interesting part is that usually, when the going gets tough in a race, be it cycling or running, I usually fall back on visualizing the last 200m of a running race on the track, and that's the motivation I use to keep focused. However, sometime in the last 6 months that visualization seems to have changed, because I don't place myself in a running race anymore, but in a bike race. I don't know if that's just because I've been doing a lot more biking workouts and races than running lately, or if its a monumental shift in my underlying identity as an athlete, but it was surprising for me to realize.
What was your time?
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 02:49 PM
  #17658  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Well, it looks like my wife needs a new car.

Her Prius has been burning oil for some time - we've been putting in a half to a quart of oil a week. It's not leaking either. There are no oil spots on the driveway. And the car had been shaking and riding really rough. She insisted on taking it to the dealership for all her repairs, and they kept telling her nothing was wrong.

Today, she finally took it to an independent repair place. The guy spent 20 min. driving it and came back to tell her it's not worth putting any money in to repair the car. He said that he thinks oil has started coating the spark plugs, which is why the car shakes sometimes when she hits the gas. He suggested trading it in sooner than later, while it still has some value.

I'm pretty annoyed. The car isn't that old. We've had it 7 years, and she's put 150k miles on it. But it never operated that great in my opinion, and it was one of the Priuses that went through the big brake recall several years ago. So, I suspect much of this is due to poor build quality than anything else.

She does not want another Toyota.
Time for a subaru.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 06:48 PM
  #17659  
scheibo 
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
What was your time?
15:53. barely high school quality, but off mostly base, if you count riding as base. i expected to be only about 15:4X fitness, so not terribly far off. 15:41 was 11th, 15:21 for 7th would have been reasonable without the hiatus. the field was deep, but early season the course was not super fast - tons of turns and gravel sections etc. the winners were in the 14:30's, but are all solidly 13:5X/14:00 guys. i've never been into 5Ks, i'll try to jump into a 1500 in a couple weeks and see if i can still hang if i do some speedwork between now and then. i'll probably do a track 5000 as well, would expect to be much closer to 14:5X/15:00 in a month or two if I actually do some workouts (IME being able to spike up gives me a solid 1-2s per lap easy).

main goal for running is to not be in terrible shape come June when i'm travelling to frankfurt to race in a team competition with work where we have a shot at winning if the 4 of us are in 15:15ish shape. not completely out of the question, but with running its always a tossup whether 4 people can stay healthy between now and then. i'd give it about a 20% chance, and that might be high
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 07:42 PM
  #17660  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheibo View Post
15:53. barely high school quality, but off mostly base, if you count riding as base. i expected to be only about 15:4X fitness, so not terribly far off. 15:41 was 11th, 15:21 for 7th would have been reasonable without the hiatus. the field was deep, but early season the course was not super fast - tons of turns and gravel sections etc. the winners were in the 14:30's, but are all solidly 13:5X/14:00 guys. i've never been into 5Ks, i'll try to jump into a 1500 in a couple weeks and see if i can still hang if i do some speedwork between now and then. i'll probably do a track 5000 as well, would expect to be much closer to 14:5X/15:00 in a month or two if I actually do some workouts (IME being able to spike up gives me a solid 1-2s per lap easy).

main goal for running is to not be in terrible shape come June when i'm travelling to frankfurt to race in a team competition with work where we have a shot at winning if the 4 of us are in 15:15ish shape. not completely out of the question, but with running its always a tossup whether 4 people can stay healthy between now and then. i'd give it about a 20% chance, and that might be high
That's fast. Mind telling me your weight and your best 15min cycling power?
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 07:53 PM
  #17661  
scheibo 
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
say 66kg (145.5lb). id guess 147lb +/- 3lb, but im naturally pessimistic. could be more, probably not a lot less these days. when i was weighing myself i was 139-143lb, but decided it was getting unhealthy.

most recent 15 minute power effort was end of January, 360W (held that for 16:15, but same power for 15:00. if the climb was only 15 minutes maybe it would have been higher?). 750W for 30s and 625W for 1 minute are the only other real 'all out' efforts ive done recently, i have trouble getting motivated to hurt myself that much.
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 07:05 AM
  #17662  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,274
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Time for a subaru.
We bought a Honda CRV with AWD. She didn't like the Subarus as well.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 10:12 AM
  #17663  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Considering there are coffee enthusiasts around here, figured I'd ask for recommendations of decent but not extravagant espresso machines (~$500 and below, I'm sure this budget will draw some scoffs lol), we have a delonghi model we got last year but it's leaking water and amazon is letting us return it (the manufacturer wants us to send the unit to a repair center, no thanks, pretty stupid for a small home appliance).
hubcyclist is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 10:21 AM
  #17664  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your grinder situation? The machine is sort of pointless without one.
miyata man is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 10:25 AM
  #17665  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
um no grinder yet (heresy), I actually use off the shelf lavazza espresso which I quite like, but there is a local roaster that I want to get beans from.
hubcyclist is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 10:57 AM
  #17666  
globecanvas
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,294
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the context here? I feel somewhat out of the loop.

Originally Posted by facebook
Dieter Drake wrote:

Given the cancellations of all the US Pro races this year, I am willing to host a 200k+ Tour of the Battenkill UCI 1.2 professional race, also sanctioned by USA Cycling, on Sunday, May 21 with a $25k payout, live streaming, bells, whistles. No problem. 'Done it before.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 11:27 AM
  #17667  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Considering there are coffee enthusiasts around here, figured I'd ask for recommendations of decent but not extravagant espresso machines (~$500 and below, I'm sure this budget will draw some scoffs lol), we have a delonghi model we got last year but it's leaking water and amazon is letting us return it (the manufacturer wants us to send the unit to a repair center, no thanks, pretty stupid for a small home appliance).
I got a $300 Breville machine from Amazon (800ESXL), it gets the job done. (and a $90 burr grinder, Capresso Infinity 560, which is fine but a pain in the ass to clean out)

Looking back I wish I'd spent more $$ for a machine with temp gauge and some more bells/whistles, but the prices go up quickly for not much in return. I like the way the espresso tastes, that's all that matters to me! I'm sure a true coffee snob would scoff at my setup. I don't even grind the beans on-demand, I do them in bulk.

The one thing that's annoying with my espresso machine (and maybe all of the pump-driven ones) is that it's loud. In a coffee shop they have better machines I guess, but mine is like a jack-hammer for about five secs when you turn it on, and then while you're brewing as well (< 30 seconds). If you live in a small apartment with someone else, something to think about. Same with a coffee grinder, they aren't quiet..
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 11:29 AM
  #17668  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo View Post
Jumped into a fast 5K running race this weekend for my first race after recovering from the most recent stress fracture I got in October.
Dude.

What's the process for a coach firing an Athlete anyway??
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 11:37 AM
  #17669  
Gramercy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 842

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Considering there are coffee enthusiasts around here, figured I'd ask for recommendations of decent but not extravagant espresso machines (~$500 and below, I'm sure this budget will draw some scoffs lol), we have a delonghi model we got last year but it's leaking water and amazon is letting us return it (the manufacturer wants us to send the unit to a repair center, no thanks, pretty stupid for a small home appliance).
Have you tried an aeropress? It's not exactly espresso but it's pretty good for $24 and really quick. I don't find espresso machines to be worth the hassle.
Gramercy is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 11:41 AM
  #17670  
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Posts: 9,284

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed in that price range I'd just get a really good grinder, a pour over setup, and a moka pot or aeropress. save some money for good beans too. a $500 budget for a grinder and espresso machine isn't going to get you far at all.
mike868y is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 12:01 PM
  #17671  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
What is the context here? I feel somewhat out of the loop.
That proposed stagerace out in Virginia got axed, a race in Philly got axed (women's race?), Colorado was killed off before resurrecting as a smaller race.
hack is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 04:38 PM
  #17672  
scheibo 
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Dude.

What's the process for a coach firing an Athlete anyway??
This is why its important to have N+1 coaches for redundancy...

I'm planning to race Ward's Ferry P123 and then the RKO 3/4 + 2/3 this weekend. Give me a break when I go off the reservation for one weekend to get some strange! Besides, I got to go out for brunch after my race with my teammates and competitors on Sunday. That's like 150% more social life than I've had in the last 2 months.
scheibo is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:51 PM
  #17673  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,976

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you have a dream running race in a foreign land coming up you should be careful, both racing and running (reinjury)...
Ygduf is offline  
Old 03-14-17, 08:55 PM
  #17674  
Doge 
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,510

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Considering there are coffee enthusiasts around here, figured I'd ask for recommendations of decent but not extravagant espresso machines (~$500 and below, I'm sure this budget will draw some scoffs lol), we have a delonghi model we got last year but it's leaking water and amazon is letting us return it (the manufacturer wants us to send the unit to a repair center, no thanks, pretty stupid for a small home appliance).
There is a thread on that...
Anyway see ROK Espresso machine (and grinder). It is much harder than it looks but I have one for sale - cheap.
Doge is online now  
Old 03-14-17, 09:03 PM
  #17675  
scheibo 
once a runner
 
scheibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bay area
Posts: 511

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
if you have a dream running race in a foreign land coming up you should be careful, both racing and running (reinjury)...
not a dream race by a long shot, just another free trip to europe mostly.

and i'm trying to be careful racing and running because i dont like being injured, period, not because i really care strongly about the race. its hard to get faster if youre injured.
scheibo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.