"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 04-19-17, 01:59 PM
  #18026  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
I'll raise you one: I was a musician in the seattle scene in the early 90s, when everybody who wasn't already famous was about to be famous. I was in at least 2 bands that were supposed to be the next big thing. Every band was about to be the next big thing.

The major life lesson I learned from that time was: if you are deep into a scene, just when you think it's jumped the shark is actually the moment when it goes supersonic. And just when you come around to thinking it's here to stay is actually the moment when it jumps the shark.

Much later I was in LA visiting friends and ran into Layne Staley about 2 weeks before he died. He basically already looked dead.


would love to hear more about this. all of it.

not seattle but related... listened to copper blue & was just about to slap beaster on the turntable.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 02:06 PM
  #18027  
globecanvas
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,294
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Did you know Jason Everman?
No, that was just before my time. Great article though. It hits home because I got kicked out of a band that consisted of the half of Mother Love Bone that didn't become Pearl Jam -- not quite Pete Best territory but I was gutted. In fact that's why I left Seattle and moved to New York.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 04:44 PM
  #18028  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my last day teaching at the University of Florida after 35 years. One class is finished (they took quiz #15 for the semester and that is enough testing) and the other has an optional final on April 27th.

When I turned 50 I stopped playing competitive basketball. I was still able to hang in the best pick-up games on campus, but my knees and ankles hurt every morning and often I needed intense massage therapy on my lower back. Basketball is a young man's game.

At 60 I stopped bike racing. Recovery from crashing was taking too long.

Now at 62 (63 in bike racing age) I don't feel ready to hang it up as a prof, but I have to due to being in the State pension plan and electing to enter the Delayed Retirement Option Plan when I hit 30 years in. After electing DROP you get 5 more years and then it is over.

Shed no tears. I am actually happy about this.

Does Veloboy still post here? He took at least one class from me.
mollusk is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 04:50 PM
  #18029  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats!
hack is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 04:54 PM
  #18030  
revchuck 
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,916

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Congrats, @mollusk! Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it. Now you're out of excuses for not riding your bike!

I've been pretty much retired since '13, it's nice.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 05:13 PM
  #18031  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
Congrats, @mollusk! Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it. Now you're out of excuses for not riding your bike!

I've been pretty much retired since '13, it's nice.
I still ride 4 times per week, but I no longer train (Sweet-spot rides, intervals, "stomps", etc.) It is like I am in eternal base mode and that is nice.
mollusk is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 05:34 PM
  #18032  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,930
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
Today was my last day teaching at the University of Florida after 35 years. One class is finished (they took quiz #15 for the semester and that is enough testing) and the other has an optional final on April 27th.

When I turned 50 I stopped playing competitive basketball. I was still able to hang in the best pick-up games on campus, but my knees and ankles hurt every morning and often I needed intense massage therapy on my lower back. Basketball is a young man's game.

At 60 I stopped bike racing. Recovery from crashing was taking too long.

Now at 62 (63 in bike racing age) I don't feel ready to hang it up as a prof, but I have to due to being in the State pension plan and electing to enter the Delayed Retirement Option Plan when I hit 30 years in. After electing DROP you get 5 more years and then it is over.

Shed no tears. I am actually happy about this.

Does Veloboy still post here? He took at least one class from me.
Congrats. Does your department get to keep your line? Here any lines freed up after June 30 of this year get absorbed by central admin (new policy due to massive budget cuts), so there is a push to get those near retirement to quickly speed up their plans and do it by June so we can hire new people to fill their slots. Pretty heartless way to respond to someone with 30+ years of service.
himespau is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 05:40 PM
  #18033  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Congrats. Does your department get to keep your line? Here any lines freed up after June 30 of this year get absorbed by central admin (new policy due to massive budget cuts), so there is a push to get those near retirement to quickly speed up their plans and do it by June so we can hire new people to fill their slots. Pretty heartless way to respond to someone with 30+ years of service.
My understanding is that my "line" is controlled by the Dean in my college and if she isn't a total idiot (there is evidence both ways) my department will keep it.

As for me my department chair is almost begging me to teach classes after my mandatory one year off before I can be employed by the State.
mollusk is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 06:26 PM
  #18034  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,084

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 39 Posts
congrats @mollusk!

I should do myself the favor any play pick up b-ball everynow and again, I love basketball. Used to play (small fwd) in HS.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 07:56 PM
  #18035  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,274
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Congratulations Mollusk.

My Father in Law retired almost two years ago after 40+ years as an economics professor. Though he could come back part time after six months, he chose not to.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 08:03 PM
  #18036  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,228

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Congrats on the retirement. That's big news.

We put in an offer on a house tonight. The market here is insane, things going in hours. Job is going busy, super fast deadlines, many, many projects at once. Sink or swim training.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 08:04 PM
  #18037  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
Today was my last day teaching at the University of Florida after 35 years.


Enjoy your retirement.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 08:27 PM
  #18038  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
+1
To what globe said. Fantastic tale!
tetonrider is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 10:22 PM
  #18039  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
Congrats on the retirement. That's big news.

We put in an offer on a house tonight. The market here is insane, things going in hours. Job is going busy, super fast deadlines, many, many projects at once. Sink or swim training.
We bought a couple years back and it was the same deal, go check a house, mull it over, make an offer same day, find out it was off the market for hours. In the end, I was so tired of looking at houses, that I just told my realtor to get us to an open house first and if it's not about to fall over we'll offer on the spot. Done and done ... didn't land the dream home, but we're happy.
hack is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 11:10 PM
  #18040  
Gramercy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 842

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
Congrats on the retirement. That's big news.

We put in an offer on a house tonight. The market here is insane, things going in hours. Job is going busy, super fast deadlines, many, many projects at once. Sink or swim training.
No, housing here is insane. This is relatively cheap for the area. 4 million for a generic house.
http://www.659tennyson.com
Gramercy is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 11:39 PM
  #18041  
Ttoc6
Cat 3
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,449

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 26 Posts
The reality of moving away from where I grew up is really starting to sink in. And I've still got two months of school left.

Anyone have any contacts on insight into the area aroudn Ogden in Utah? Will be working at the AFB there. Hoping to go down and visit in a few weeks to pick out an apartment. Scary times ahead....
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 03:56 AM
  #18042  
miyata man
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U wnt *tr kit 4 OG son?

hyphy personality
flat brim cap
extreme mountain sports based lifestyle
orange spray tan
kleptomaniac blonde gf
tuned up '10 Audi that's always in the shop
or a BRODOZER


I'm mostly kidding. Sorta. They have their own thing going on there for sure.

Last edited by miyata man; 04-20-17 at 04:06 AM.
miyata man is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 08:11 AM
  #18043  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6 View Post
The reality of moving away from where I grew up is really starting to sink in. And I've still got two months of school left.

Anyone have any contacts on insight into the area aroudn Ogden in Utah? Will be working at the AFB there. Hoping to go down and visit in a few weeks to pick out an apartment. Scary times ahead....
A teammate of mine from way back in the day moved there a few years ago. I'm pretty sure he loves it, it's super outdoorsy. You looking for any specific info? Want me to put you in touch?
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 10:33 AM
  #18044  
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 3,432

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been in CO for a couple weeks now (in Superior, CO about 6 miles from Boulder). I have been traveling a lot but I have been trying to ride when I'm here and build slowly so I don't injury myself (it's really tempting to just say screw it and go climb on a 4hr ride).

Anyways, so far I've noticed a few things:
1. I'm out of shape
2. I don't seem to notice the altitude, probably because of point 1.
3. I have waved to approx 25 cyclists I have seen on my rides, I have had zero wave backs and one head nod. What?
4. I have had 2 people yell out of their car and try to scare me.

Wait what? I thought CO was cyclist friendly? I always got waves and less yelling coming from redneck country.
Creatre is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 10:36 AM
  #18045  
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 3,432

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
Today was my last day teaching at the University of Florida after 35 years. One class is finished (they took quiz #15 for the semester and that is enough testing) and the other has an optional final on April 27th.

When I turned 50 I stopped playing competitive basketball. I was still able to hang in the best pick-up games on campus, but my knees and ankles hurt every morning and often I needed intense massage therapy on my lower back. Basketball is a young man's game.

At 60 I stopped bike racing. Recovery from crashing was taking too long.

Now at 62 (63 in bike racing age) I don't feel ready to hang it up as a prof, but I have to due to being in the State pension plan and electing to enter the Delayed Retirement Option Plan when I hit 30 years in. After electing DROP you get 5 more years and then it is over.

Shed no tears. I am actually happy about this.

Does Veloboy still post here? He took at least one class from me.
Congrats, enjoy more time for yourself! I hope to be that active and still enjoying life at those ages.
Creatre is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 10:40 AM
  #18046  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,033

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
I've been in CO for a couple weeks now (in Superior, CO about 6 miles from Boulder). I have been traveling a lot but I have been trying to ride when I'm here and build slowly so I don't injury myself (it's really tempting to just say screw it and go climb on a 4hr ride).

Anyways, so far I've noticed a few things:
1. I'm out of shape
2. I don't seem to notice the altitude, probably because of point 1.
3. I have waved to approx 25 cyclists I have seen on my rides, I have had zero wave backs and one head nod. What?
4. I have had 2 people yell out of their car and try to scare me.

Wait what? I thought CO was cyclist friendly? I always got waves and less yelling coming from redneck country.
I hate to say it, but CO is full of D-Bags. The metro area is getting so crowded, that people pretty much hate everyone else on the road. Cyclists, it's a toss up whether you get a wave or not. No biggie. I wave to everyone, and am OK if it's returned, or not. I did my part.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 10:54 AM
  #18047  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
I've been in CO for a couple weeks now (in Superior, CO about 6 miles from Boulder). I have been traveling a lot but I have been trying to ride when I'm here and build slowly so I don't injury myself (it's really tempting to just say screw it and go climb on a 4hr ride).

Anyways, so far I've noticed a few things:
1. I'm out of shape
2. I don't seem to notice the altitude, probably because of point 1.
3. I have waved to approx 25 cyclists I have seen on my rides, I have had zero wave backs and one head nod. What?
4. I have had 2 people yell out of their car and try to scare me.

Wait what? I thought CO was cyclist friendly? I always got waves and less yelling coming from redneck country.
For #4 - I think in areas with lots of cyclists, waving is less common. Why? Because there are so many damn cyclists. If you wave at all of them your arm would get tired.

When I was in Bama visiting my dad I was so excited to see someone else on the road I'd wave, if not turn around to talk to them. Here in Norcal, when I got back I'd keep waving and get no response - people are just so used to seeing other cyclists it's nothing special.

That said, I try to wave - even here - if I'm in a good mood.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 10:56 AM
  #18048  
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,344

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
I've been in CO for a couple weeks now (in Superior, CO about 6 miles from Boulder). I have been traveling a lot but I have been trying to ride when I'm here and build slowly so I don't injury myself (it's really tempting to just say screw it and go climb on a 4hr ride).

Anyways, so far I've noticed a few things:
1. I'm out of shape
2. I don't seem to notice the altitude, probably because of point 1.
3. I have waved to approx 25 cyclists I have seen on my rides, I have had zero wave backs and one head nod. What?

4. I have had 2 people yell out of their car and try to scare me.

Wait what? I thought CO was cyclist friendly? I always got waves and less yelling coming from redneck country.
You should ask the 41 about this.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 11:00 AM
  #18049  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@mollusk
Good to hear from you sir! Glad you're doing well.

Take the year and catch up on all those projects you have sitting on the way side. Maybe you'll want to go back to your dean a year down the line anyway.

Have you cooked anything awesome lately? From what I recall you used to post lots of drool-worthy pictures.

Be well.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 04-20-17, 11:03 AM
  #18050  
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 3,432

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
For #4 - I think in areas with lots of cyclists, waving is less common. Why? Because there are so many damn cyclists. If you wave at all of them your arm would get tired.

When I was in Bama visiting my dad I was so excited to see someone else on the road I'd wave, if not turn around to talk to them. Here in Norcal, when I got back I'd keep waving and get no response - people are just so used to seeing other cyclists it's nothing special.

That said, I try to wave - even here - if I'm in a good mood.
That's a good point actually!

Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
You should ask the 41 about this.
Touche. I was wondering if this is why I wasn't getting waves. Every time they didn't wave back I said to myself, 'Damn I must look like a Fred now!'
Creatre is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.