Old 10-31-06, 11:17 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ritchey Break Away type bikes

Does anyone have any practical experience of the Ritchey Break Away bikes? I am interested in one as I like the traditional road bike design for use as an occasional folder when I go on holiday to ride the hills of France. It looks ideal for me after reading a review, but I still have some reservations:

- I'm not certain the fold will make a big difference to travel, since the case still looks quite big.

- Some have complained that the case isn't that great quality and doesn't protect the frame from dings very well and looks worn after a couple of trips. I would be prepared to put quality pipe lagging on the frame tubes, so hopefully solving the ding problem, but what about the case getting squashed. I would prefer a hard plastic case.

- Have they sorted out the cable connectors chipping the paint? this seems such an obvious issue that I would imagine it would be on their list to fix.

- Price looks a bit over the top. Frame isn't cheap, plus the case costs over £150, which is frankly ridiculous for an unbranded cheap nylon case. For a full plastic hardcase with a brand I would pay this. Should I try to get an alternative case separately? Is the bike available without the case?

Final question, do any UK framebuilders build using these couplers as it seems a much more elegant and cheaper solution than those big stainless teethy lugs whose name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks,

Andrew