View Single Post
Old 11-02-06, 09:46 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
* it's heavy! that's the first thing i noticed pulling it out of the box.

* the bike is really upright! the non-adjustable handlebar is a big drawback. i really need the bars lower and further out, but i'm stuck with it as it is. i hope i can get used to it.

* the internal hub is okay. shifting between gears sometimes resulted in the cranks stopping abruptly. perhaps it just needs to be adjusted. a little loud as well, but not a problem.

* when i got to newark, i wanted to carry the bike the 8-10 mintues to my office to get a feel for the weight. so, i packaged the entire bike in the bag and slung it over my shoulder. it wasn't too bad, but not something i'd want to do everyday.
My Vittesse without fenders and rear rack weights 26.4 pounds. That included a heavy Brooks Champion flyer and clipless pedals. You'll find most folding bikes including the 16' inch wheelers are about the same weight and there are only a few folders out there that break the 20 pound barrier. The folding bicycle is not a lightweight machine as people think it is.

I agree with the upright position of the Vitesse and I replaced the handlebar it with the adjustable stem and handlebar. I'm able to get the exact height needed but I also used a spacer to make it work. This is not a huge problem and can easily be resolved so you purchased a good bicycle.

The shifting works perfectly so your bike needs adjustment because the Sturmey Archer Sprinter is an excellant hub that does not stop the cranks abruptly. Make this adjustment ASAP or you'll damage the hub!

One thing you might want to change and I suggest you do it is replace the rear cog to a 14T from Sheldon Brown's website. You'll soon find out, the Vitesse is high geared and this inexpensive adjustment will truly enhance the enjoyment of the folder.

Don't carry the folder for 10 minutes! I carried my 27lb Piccolo across a train station once and my arm and back were killing me for days!