Thread: Rolf Hub R.I.P.
View Single Post
Old 11-07-06, 01:53 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tandems break things. Doesn't matter how many people do not have problems with the "Known" Tandem Quality items- someone is going to have a failure.

I know when I looked at wheels 4 years ago- I drew on as much experience of other people as I could. Everyone had different opinions but I made my choice, after consulting with The Downhill Offroaders, paid my money and I am happy.

My choice would not suit everyone as I am offroad- I ride aggressively and went for Downhill Quality. Definitely over the top on weight, but a couple of Front tyre blowouts and several high speed rear ones and my wheels are still going strong. Plus there are the rocks we've hit, and the cars and trees, the mistakes we've made on choice of route and the general misuse.

Still check the wheels after every ride though but Hope Bigun hubs are strong, Mavic EX 729 rims are strong and we have yet to break a straight gauge s/s spoke, even though we were told that Double butted were stronger. Have replaced a couple because we bent them but that is down to me and not the spokes.

I would let Rolf know that you have had a serious failure and see what they can do for you. Even though this is on a Tandem that is going to stress any part used on it- They may be one of the helpfull companies that are around.

Spike Milligan