View Single Post
Old 10-17-03, 08:31 PM
Croak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RossB
Generally speaking, the principle of specificity in muscle development suggests that lifting weights - especially lower body - will have little effect on cycling performance, and may be detrimental. Certainly, many elite runners take this view and this has also been my experience as a (far below elite) runner. I suspect the same may be true of pro cyclists (although I'm sure there will also be many who do use strength training).

In order to exercise for a specific discipline, it is necessary not only to exercise the muscles that will be used, but exercise them in exactly the same way that they will be used in that discipline. For example, both running and cycling exercise the leg muscles, but running provides little benefit to cyclists (as I've recently discovered) and vice versa (apart from cardio-vascular benefits) because the muscles are used differently. Similarly, leg strengthening training will not have any significant benefits for cycling because it does not strengthen the muscles in the exact way in which they will be used in cycling. On the contrary, adding muscle mass will add weight and could possibly reduce performance rather than increase it.

Having said that, I do think that some types of strength training are of benefit to cyclists, and to all athletes, especially those that focus on core strength such as abdominal and lower back muscles. For cyclists, I also think some upper back (lats, shoulders and delts), chest (pecs) and arm (biceps and triceps) strength training is also useful because cyclists rest a lot of weight on the handlebars through the arms and shoulders.

Personally, I do some weight training 2 or 3 times a week, upper body only (I figure cycling and running is quite enough strength training for the legs, and adding weights as well would put too much stress on them for too little benefit), mainly lighter weights and higher reps (to build strength and endurance, not mass), with a focus on abdominal and lower back strength.

Ross
Specificity is an interesting topic. It is widely debated in training circles. To extend the arguement, if it were true, lifting weights would only help weight lifters, which is a fallacy.

It has been shown the muscle needs to be trained at the same angle to gain a cross-over edge. Therefore when training for cycling, squats are of little use but front squats are extremely beneficial. The small change in angle of the exercise allows the cyclist to bring the strength changes in to the real world. (Note: Try not to use the smith machine for anything, except light rehab of injuries. The single plane movement restricts joints and will cause more injuries than it prevents.)

As to the training, you are referring to strength endurance training. Isometric holds will be extremely favourable in this instance. Try core training at the angle you actually sit on the bike. Some grip endurance strength work would be good as well, just hang on a chin bar for as long as possible.