Old 11-16-06, 07:38 PM
Vector

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjww
My current idea two custom made steel flanges that are brazed or silver soldered to the cut tubes and bolted together in 3 places. I can make a sketch if anyone needs a better diagram. Tubes will insert about 2 inches into each flange. Bolt holes will be threaded for tight, accurate fit as well as use of nylock nuts on protruding threadsfor added security. Holes will be drilled using an indexing fixture. Flange dia will be 1" greater than tube dia. Thickness will be 1/8"( might need more). Bolts will be 5/16 NF Grade 5.
Open to comments, thoughts, other ideas, etc.

Thanks
Mike in
I saw the bikes with such self-made mechanism in Moscow, USSR in 80s. The tubes with the flanges were inserted into the cut bike tubes. There were also the couplers for the cables so that the bike could be easily separated in two pieces. Guys traveled thousands kilometers on- and off-road on these bikes.

I'd like to do the same mechanism but don't know how to solder the bike tubes and don't know anybody in NY to do this work.

Mike, it'd be interesting to know if you implemented you idea, to learn how you did it and see the pics.

Last edited by Vector; 11-16-06 at 09:10 PM.