View Single Post
Old 11-27-06, 08:21 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i (RIP), 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kill.cactus
I've never got the two things that are sticking from the sides of the flat handlebars. They're on some MTBs but they don't really look like something safe to grip or anything
If you get bar extensions long enough, you get two extra hand positions out of them which is quite useful. I use my almost all the time when standing up and climbing at a good pace. They are also nice for extra leverage when starting from a stop with a heavy trailer load and for getting a little more aero on a long downhill.. A set of wide road drop bars would probably be nicer but for my normal commute, I would barely ever use the drops so the effort to switch isn't really worth it. I have a drop bar road bike if I'm planning on doing any serious distance.

My Hardrock conversion was a 2003 model with an aluminum frame and a suspension fork that I swapped for a Surly 1X1 fork. I also changed the MTB (44/32/22) crank to a touring crank (48/38/28) and swapped the original cassette (after wearing it out) to an 11/28 for tighter spacing. Lots of other commuter additions as well but those changes really improved it's character. I wish it was an older model with the less chunky looking steel frame but I had the bike so I'm using it (at least for another year until I decide I want some nicer).