Old 11-28-06, 10:07 AM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30km on my new Strida - brief review

Having been impressed by the generally positive feedback from this forum, I took the plunge and got myself a white Strida 3 w black mudguards today. The dealer was kind enough to allow me a 30km test ride and these are my findings:

The Pluses

1. Stylish design, most pleasing on the eye. Can't believe this is a 20 yo product. Its a magnet for attention.

2. High quality finish. Lovely paint job, sturdy feel, no cheap and nasty plastic parts.

3. Brilliant folding ease. Simplicity at its best. Love the ability to push it around while folded, negating the need to carry it. This is the ONLY folder I know that does this so accomplishly. Standing up position too takes far less space on trains. Carrying my Brompton, compact as it may be, for 200m leaves me breathless.

4. Meaty drum brakes. I love the progression and feel. Clever "handbrake" feature too.

The Challenges

1. Slow cruising speed. It is most comfortable at 17kmh only, which really is too slow for me. My Brompton and Dahon Helios easily do 25kmh. I guess one speeders require a different riding expectation but it takes hills reasonably well.

2. Twitchy handling compared to "normal" frame bikes. Takes getting use to. Certainly not for beginners.

3. Very upright sitting position. Not very comfortable for a long 30km ride but should be ok for 3-5km jaunts.

The Strida is a short distance commuter specific folder and taken as that, it's one of the best. Throw in its beautiful design and strong value pricing, it deserves to do better.

Would love to hear from other Strida users or critics.