cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
The only reason you have all this guessing and checking is because you're not using the other wrench to hold the element in place. This is why you are using TWO headset wrenches.

Seriously, it takes about 2 minutes to adjust a threaded system. All this fear mongering for no reason.
Not fear mongering, just reality. A threadless is much easier to adjust than threaded. As for the adjustment, I do (or did) use two wrenches. It's always a game of trial and error with a threaded headset. If you get the bearings right when the race and locknut are loose, tightening them against each other would throw the headset out of adjustment. I

Threadless just doesn't have the same level of futzyness. Take the play out of the bearings and keep them from binding and tighten the stem bolts. Done and on the road. It takes longer to find a 5mm allen wrench then to adjust the headset...and my allen wrenches are right on the repair stand
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.