cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
I've not had a threaded headset loosen for several decades. And setting them up is not very difficult for anyone who has experience working on their own bike. Manufacturers created the threadless headset for their own convenience and are not ashamed to admit it. The removable faceplate is certainly a convenience especially now that there are so many cables up on the handlebars these days. We lost the handy vertical adjustment but that wouldn't have registered with new bike buyers anyway.

I used to think that threadless stems were just about the ugliest thing ever put on a bike but they match modern bikes quite well now.
There used to be a whole cottage industry for making locking mechanisms for mountain bike headsets. Shaft collars, special locking locknuts, special keyed races were just some of the attempts made to keep the headset from loosening. This wasn't too much of a problem with road bikes but it certainly was with mountain bikes. I've seen, and had, many headsets ruined in the course of a day's worth of riding because you couldn't tighten the headset in the field.

The threadless headset might have been created for convenience (although I have my doubts) but it certainly is easier to adjust and install for the consumer. All of my bikes are, finally, threadless and I wouldn't go back. Changing a fork is trivial now, as is adjusting one out on a ride...if it happens to come loose, which they just don't now.
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.