View Single Post
Old 11-28-06, 04:28 PM
nebben123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
Database problems resulted in some new threads being lost. My condolences to your thread.
So I guess this means there is no nightly backup of the db? Why not? I could understand losing a day worth of threads, but everything that was posted this past weekend? Damn.

I'm just kinda pissed, because I put a LOT of effort into the writeup of my review of the Shure E2C headphones including taking hi-res pictures and everything. Now it's gone?

I love this site, but why should I contribute if they can't even make nightly backups? My web host provides that as part of their service... what would my $25 membership be buying, exactly? It seems like the ads probably pay to keep the site running as it is, and I click on them whenever I'm going to make a purchase at Performance or Nashbar. If I'm going to donate, I'd like to see what it costs to run this site.

If I recall, I think I saw some ads saying "Help us pay our $1,000 monthly server bill" or some such nonsense. If it costs that much to run this site, they are with the wrong provider, especially if they don't have nightly backups of the db! This is a forum site, it's mostly text, so it shouldn't take up much bandwidth or database space at all... It's not like this is YouTube and they're serving hundreds of millions of video files every month.

Just curious...

Ben