View Single Post
Old 12-01-06, 03:19 AM
outashape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDW3261
Someone mention long lines. So these tours that go across states tend to have long lines for the rest rooms, showers and luggage?
On week long state rides, lines of 5-10 minutes can be normal if you leave with the pack. If you leave earlier in the morning, around 6:30 to 7:30 you can ride several hours or most of the day without seeing many people. Sometimes the first rest stop of the day is not set up with snacks if you leave early. Another idea is to pack in supplies from the last stop of the day to be used the following morning. If you leave when the majority of the riders leave (1,000-3,000 riders) (or RAGBRAI, 10,000) between 7:30 and 9:00 am then you will be waiting in lines. Another tactic, is to grab your food and eat it while waiting in the portajohn lines at the break and lunch stops. If you are female (I am) there is seldom a wait for showers. Lines are a great time to chat. I have found that I meet many of the same people each day because some people like to get up early and leave early. I like to leave early because I have worked on midnights for over 20 years and I don't sleep well at night, plus I don't like to ride when it is really hot outside. I ride early, get to the campsite early, and then get a nap in before I head out the nightly entertainment.