View Single Post
Old 12-02-06, 11:22 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
Hi guys I have a 2002 Specialized rockhopper that I have been abusing since the day I got it. It has never had anything adjusted or maintained and now it got to the point of not really being rideable. I want to bring it in to the LBS for repairs as some of this stuff is to much for me since it got so bad. I was wondering what a general cost for this stuff would be.

1. The Bottom Bracket Creaks. Not sure if it needs lube or needs to be replaced.
2. Shifting is horrible. Skips all sorts of gears. Goes over the big cog into the spokes and off of the small cog. The front goes from the small to medium and back and forth, the rear derailler isnt smooth ect..
3. The brakes are pretty messed up. When you pull the lever one side moves and the other side like clicks and gets lodged under the rim. I moved the pad up but it still rubs and is messed up.

The stuff is pretty much adjustment of the brakes and shifting and maybe a lube of the BB or replacement. What should this cost roughly? $20, $50, $70, $100, $120+
Bike shops get phone calls all the time asking questions like this. I'll tell you the same thing I tell those callers. I can't do a diagnosis or an estimate sight unseen.I won't be pinned down to a guess, and neither should any other shop.
Even an estimate in the stand is just that, not a quote. Sometimes issues don't present themselves until you dig deeper.
Most shops won't charge for a look see, so that would be a good place to start.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca