Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekRider
cbhungry,

What is your opinion of Bruce Ames' research that shows alpha-lipoic acid combined with acetyl l-carnitine slows the aging process? It is reportedly an anti-oxident of the highest caliber.

I don't think Mr. Ames is one to shoot off his mouth about something that doesn't work.

I am wary until clinical trials are done on humans. Too much of a good thing may be bad, even with antioxidants. Beta kerotene actually increased lung cancer in a large, prospective randomized trial for those who took it to prevent cancer! (these were smokers). Rats still posesses alot of enzymes that are very different from humans (that's why sacharin caused cancer in rats but not humans due to an enzyme in their kidneys that converted saccharin to a carcinogen.) But it does look promising. I have to look at his research in detail in the National Proceedings since I am unclear how he measured the mitochondrial rejuvination. Was it just the acetyl carnitine levels? Rats were "peppy" but how was it objectively measured and subjective bias was not a factor etc. etc. His approach at tackeling the mitochondrial issues is definately where most "anti aging" scientists are honing in on.

http://www.pnhp.org/